USA @ Saint Vincent September 2, 2016

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Real Corona, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will be an interesting one. Logistically SVG looks like a pretty tough place to get to.

2. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
  3. CBlake

CBlake Member

May 20, 2007
    North of somewhere
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that an airstrip right beside the stadium, see the plan?

4. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    image.jpg

Yep, pretty hilarious. Here's another pic, stadium is on the left.

5. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the international airport, though Wikipedia says they are building a new airport elsewhere that's supposed to be open before this game.

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been delayed year after year from what I read.

7. TimBoston

TimBoston Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

Nov 23, 2007
    USMNT in St. Vincent on Labor Day weekend? Seems like a no-brainer.

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    September is hurricane season yes/no?

10. TimBoston

TimBoston Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. Hurricane season is through the end of October actually. I went to the Antigua and Barbuda game in October 2012 and it rained pretty much the whole time I was there.

11. MobileBama

MobileBama Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Mobile, AL
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will the Outlaws be planning a road trip here? Anyone going?

12. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Road trip to the carribean? Well...logistically that may be a challenge. :)

I did see that AO will put together an away package..with a stay tuned. But thats all i have for you.

I'm out on this one but will make Jacksonville.

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one is a logistical nightmare

Basically you have to fly to Barbados and catch a turbo prop. Not exactly a quick weekend getaway.

14. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make a week of it.

I've got a room in a converted old fort on one of the Grenandines closer to St. V.

wixson7 repped this.
  15. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder

PACKAGE INCLUDES:
    - Hotel Stay at the Beachcombers Hotel
    - Breakfast Each Morning
    - Welcome Reception including two drink vouchers
    - Night Before Party
    - Game Day Transfers to Pre-Game Bar (Close to Stadium): Chill Spot Bar & Grill
    - On-Site Travel Representative for Requests with 24-Hour Phone
    - TICKETS to the game!
    - FREE Game Specific Shirt or Sandals
    IMPORTANT: Airport Transfers will be DETERMINED LATER at an extra cost.
    -------
    Two-NightPackage (Sept 1st - Sept 3):
    Single - $590.00
    Double - $460.00
    *** FLIGHT NOT INCLUDED. ***

Three-Night Package (August 31st - 3rd or Sept 1st - Sept 4th):
    Single - $720.00
    Double - $520.00
    *** FLIGHT NOT INCLUDED. ***

Book #AOAway (Deadline Tuesday, August 9th)

16. TimBoston

TimBoston Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have an aversion to AO trips.

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I arrive today if anybody else is coming for this one and wants to hang out.

wixson7 repped this.
  18. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    massive kudos for going, please report back on everything. see you in jacksonville?

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I managed a layover in Miami on the way back.

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can see why they need a new airport at least. Very short runway that even the ATR 72 almost overran. Terminal is the size of like two rooms. Very volcanic looking island. Rocky shoreline with occasional inlets of sand. Can see why most tourists head for the grenadines visible off shore. Seems to be mostly locals on the small beach I'm at. Typical small island where everyone seems to know each other by name.

wixson7 and ttrevett repped this.
  21. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member+

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Trip report?

22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St Vincent is not your typical Caribbean tourist island. The beaches are pretty rocky as the island is actively volcanic. Kingston is the only semblance of a town on the island. I would classify it as a beauty. It's only about eight by three blocks. The rest of the island is covered in houses that vary in some state from shacks to completed houses. Most people seem to be subsistence farmers. Goats, chickens bananas and coconuts everywhere. The interior of the island is very rugged and mountainous. Covered in thick jungle. I hiked through it to reach the volcanic crater on the north end of the island which was sweet.

Just about all the traveling us fans stayed in the same little beach area. It was easy to recognize each other because there were like no other tourists. The beach was mostly for locals but we popped in between the two hotel bars.

Some people did boat trips out to the grenadines and they said that was awesome but I didn't go out there.

Area around the stadium had hardly anything. I don't think they host many events there. It was super hot but the stands were covered and being on the water had a nice breeze. Like any away game you get the eclectic mix of American expats plus the traveling core of i would say 20 odd us fans. Lots of peace Corp folks and yachters. So definitely an eclectic mix.

Stadium wasn't much different than most concacaf away stadiums for concessions. Beer and popcorn.

Sight lines were awful because you're basically field level. Highest row maybe 12. And it's a cricket field so 30 plus yards from the field and the benches blocked about half of everything. Local fans seemed to completely ignore us for the most part. Neither friendly nor hostile. We might as well have not been there.

I kind of found the reaction to the game odd. I know nobody likes to lose 6-0 but realistically this was an amateur Rec team going up against full time professionals. SVG fans were pretty mad at their players and really talked down about them. One guy basically said they were all lazy and smoked too much weed.

23. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder

Love it, thx

24. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that there is anything wrong with that!

25. soccer_23

soccer_23 Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Haha, I actually heard the same comment from a few other Vincentians. Apparently the only option on the island is an amateur (borderline recreational) league. I actually saw part of a game later in my trip in a small town up the leeward coast from Kingstown. The field was swampy, the players very quick, and the play extremely physical.

I concur that St Vincent is not your typical Caribbean island. Extremely underdeveloped, probably because literally the entire island is mountainous. I think the only stretch of flat land might be the airport runway. I spent a couple days in Barbados afterwards, which felt like suburban Florida or Myrtle Beach by comparison.

The game was a good experience. The fans ranged from friendly to apathetic, which seemed about right. The sightlines from the lower level were not great, but that's understandable since it's a cricket ground. The afternoon of the game was a public holiday, which contributed to a good atmosphere in Kingstown before and after. I spent a few hours after the game at what's called Heritage Square, which was packed with people, beer vendors, and DJs.

In the days after, I took the ferry to Bequia island, which has some great untouched beaches. I hiked the volcano on the leeward side with a small group, where the "trail" ranges from overgrown to almost non-existent. I'm told the marijuana farms covering the leeward slope of the volcano want to keep it that way.

It's not simple to get to St Vincent, but I'd definitely recommend the experience.

wixson7 repped this.