News: USA Rugby Announces 2009 NCS Details

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by yankee_rob, Jan 26, 2009.

1. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA Rugby Announces 2009 NCS Details

(Photo by Theo Mitchell) After careful consideration and review of members' 2008 feedback, USA Rugby has officially announced the schedule and locations for a majority of its 2009 National Championship events.

The 2009 season will again feature the official partnership between USA Rugby and the Army National Guard, an alliance that includes the title sponsorship of a number of USA Rugby Championship events.

The championship season will kick off with the USA Rugby National Guard Collegiate Playoffs on April 17-19. The Men’s Division I collegiate playoffs will be held in two locations this year, both located on college campuses, something that Dan Payne, USA Rugby’s Director of Competition, strongly encouraged.

“By splitting the pools we were able to minimize travel for five or six of the eight teams in each pool. Furthermore, I feel it’s important that we continue to play these games on college campuses, where possible,” Payne said.

Pools A and C will compete in Berkeley, Calif., and Pools B and D at Life University in Atlanta. The Women’s Division I playoffs and the Men’s and Women’s Division II playoffs will be held at the Seminole Soccer Complex in Sanford, Fla.

The nation’s top men’s and women’s college squads will once again take the field at Steuber Rugby Stadium in Stanford, Calif., for the USA Rugby National Guard Collegiate Championships on May 1-2. This event is set to be hosted by Stanford University in both 2009 and 2010.

Having played host to all 40 of the countries best men’s club teams in 2008, the Austin RFC will host the Western Region of the Division I, II and III Men’s Club Playoffs again this year. Columbia, S.C. has relinquished its title as host of a National Championships event, as it has been chosen to hold the Eastern Region Division I, II and III Men’s Club Playoffs.

Following the final approval by the USA Rugby Youth Committee, the date of the USA Rugby National Guard Boy’s High School, and Boy’s and Girl’s U-19 Championships has settled on May 15-17. The Pittsburgh Harlequins will host the event at Founders Field.

USA Rugby will continue its close relationship with the top-notch facility, Infinity Park, in Glendale, Colo. Infinity Park opened its gates in 2007 and is the first municipal U.S. rugby stadium. The city of Glendale is set to host both the Men’s Club Championships on May 30-31 and the Men’s Collegiate All-Star Championships on June 12-14.

The Women’s All-Star Championships will be held on May 29-31 in Little Rock, Ark., while the Women’s Under-23 All-Star Championships will be held on June 12-14 in Pittsburgh’s Founder’s Field.

On August 15-16, San Francisco Golden Gate will once again host the USA Rugby Men’s Sevens Championships at Treasure Island in San Francisco. The Men's and Women's All-Star Sevens Championship is set for August 29-30, but the site is yet to be determined.

The Women’s Division I Club Playoffs and Championships are also without a finalized venue, but are scheduled for October 24-25 and November 6-8, respectively.

For more information on the National Championship Series, please visit www.usarugby.org/goto/Championships or contact Dan Payne at dpayne@usarugby.org. .

April 17-19
    USA Rugby National Guard Collegiate Playoffs
    Division I Men’s (Pools A and C) – Berkeley, Calif. @ Witter Rugby Field
    Division I Men’s (Pools B and D) – Atlanta, Ga. @ Life University
    Division I Women’s – Sanford, Fla. @ Seminole Soccer Complex
    Division II Men’s and Women’s – Sanford, Fla. @ Seminole Soccer Complex

May 1-2
    USA Rugby National Guard Collegiate Championships
    Palo Alto, Calif. @ Steuber Rugby Stadium

May 15-17
    USA Rugby National Guard High School/ U-19 Championships
    Pittsburgh, Pa. @ Founders Field

May 16-17
    USA Rugby Men’s Club Playoffs
    Division I, II and III Men’s (Eastern Division) – Columbia, S.C.
    Division I, II and III Men’s (Western Division) – Austin, Texas @ Burr Field

May 29-31
    USA Rugby Women’s Club All-Star Championships
    Little Rock, Ark.

May 30-31
    USA Rugby Men’s Club Championships
    Glendale, Colo. @ Infinity Park

June 12-14
    USA Rugby Men’s Collegiate All-Star Championships
    Glendale, Colo. @ Infinity Park
    USA Rugby Women’s Under-23 All-Star Championships
    Pittsburgh, Pa. @ Founders Field

August 15-16