USA Roster for 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by krazymunky, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO Twellman should have gotten the call over Ching in 2006 and Ching should have gotten the call over Findley in 2010.

Just sayin'.

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    For the same reason some get out of college with a physics degree and all they can do with it is teach high school, while others go on to develop theories on particle physics.

Basically, there is ability, there's experience, and then there's brains. Dempsey got those.

3. xsosx

xsosx Member

May 27, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roster change now made official:

4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Come to think of it, how did all those crumbs get on the field?

5. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a BAD hit to our bench. Benny was the one guy proven we could count on to come off the bench and add spark.

6. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    Jones has been paired with Mike twice in a 4-4-2 formation, the Poland game and the Paraguay 2nd half. If you think Mike is clearly been the better player then you really need to rewatch those two games. The overall concensus (all sources) has been that Jones was much better than Mike in the Poland game and was just as good if not better in the Paraguay game.

7. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Hey, he scored as many goals from the run of play as any American in that tournament, except Beaz (who had a visor - 2/3's of a hat trick) in one game.
    :).

8. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    You're right on the Poland match but wrong on Paraguay.

9. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I stand corrected on all points. Bad post!

10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Unfortunately based on Jones' showings so far, the Poland game appears to be the anomaly.

The Poland was a near flawless performance. He has shown moments of brilliance in other matches but has been downright awful in two matches as well.

11. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    That tends to happen when a guy gets so scared of his counterpart dribbling by him again that he starts giving him more space on the hopes that he will at least be able to keep the player in front of him. It generally doesn't work.

12. big4soccer17

big4soccer17 Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    huge blow not having benny....just what we need right now...

13. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    but when the ball is a ways away? And, how can he not be ball side? If he's hold thing the line, and ball side, it's hard as heck to thread a through ball to the guy he's marking.

I'm not disagreeing w/ you. I'm just saying "sheesh."

14. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Indeed. The other mid-game spark player I thought we'd have was Chandler. Now instead we have Bedoya and Rogers and that's a significant downgrade from what I thought we'd have.

15. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think the team can cobble together a basically solid XI (especially if Dempsey plays second striker). But the bench depth is worrysome.

16. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    I'm not disagreeing either, but I've seen it happen on the non-ball side defender all the time. It's too late to back pedal when your opponent has the ball on your side, so the defender gets a head start. They do it subconsciously.

17. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    So in your opinion which of these is true when Mike and Jones were paired during the second half of the Paraguay game:
    a) Mike had a much better match than Jones or
    b) They had similar performances.

18. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious to see if Bob was saving Adu for Canada or indicating back of the roster status.

19. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    a) that's what I remember from the ratings that one guy compiled in this forum.

20. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I already answered this with this.

How many games have we played since Chile? At least give Bob a chance to prove that he isn't giving Lloyd a chance.

Shit, after 1 call up and two games later you are claiming Lloyd as an example that Bob doesn't give guys a chance with the A squad. That's a little extreme don't you think?

21. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Indeed. And Adu is a bit of a wild card among wild cards.

22. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    This isn't a response to this post per say, but more or less the whole MB, Jones, Edu debate in general.

We have see all three with the A team. As a body of work, Mike has clearly been the best of the three. Any impartial observer would come to that conclusion. Unfortunately, a lot of people in these threads will never be impartial because of Bradley's last name.

But when all three have had their chances with the A team and one is clearly better than the other two, there really is no point to pairing the other two up with the rest of the A team to see what happens.

We already know what happens, our best player at that position is sitting on the bench. And it doesn't take Jose Mourinho to figure that out.

23. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    You should rewatch the match, they were both very good in the second half. Either that or go back and re-read the post match thread or midfield performance thread.

24. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Sorry, but using BigSoccer as a measuring stick for how M. Bradley performed compared to another player is like asking Kim Jong Il his opinion on North Korea's record on civil rights.

In either case, you aren't going to get anything that even approaches an honest answer.

25. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Well actually Jones had a better rating but the distribution was rather... unusual. Most posters had Bradley around a 6.5 and Jones around a 6, but a group of 25 or so guys rated Bradley less than 3 and Jones greater than 8. Similarly, there was a group of 5 or so that rated Bradley above an 8 and Jones below a 3.

I could never figure out why some people had those views. ;)