USA-Poland Chgo July 11, 2004

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Fonsos, Apr 8, 2004.

1. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friggin' midwesterners and their NASCAR :D

2. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    Hey, if you want to take it back to Talledaga with you, I won't miss it :)

3. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm moving in a few weeks, so Talladega can have it. :p

4. Fonsos

Fonsos Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Chicago
    I was asked the following but had difficulty sending a PM, so I'm posting to the list. Note, I/We don't make the rules in the "GO" for the SF.

I am going to the Poland game at Soldier field and I am wondering about whether
    I can bring three things in.

1) A mesh Nike backpack that is just big enough to put a soccer ball in. It is
    completely see-through and has never been stopped by RFK Stadium security.

2) A set of three coffee cans taped together attached to a belt, which function
    as my drum set at DC United games. They are probably 6-7" wide each and about
    as tall. If that can't get in, I have a 8-9" wide remo hand drum. The sticks
    for both are similar to what you would use to play a glockenspiel or xylophone
    or something like that, plastic and about a foot long and narrow.

3) A digital camera, same size as your average thing you could by at Best Buy,
    in a small case.

I know those might seem like petty questions but I am coming from DC and am
    staying in the suburbs for the weekend, so I need to have as much detail as
    possible about what I should and should not pack for the trip and carry
    downtown. Thanks for your help and I hope to see you at the game!

I understand your questioning.

The bag won't be allowed. They don't allow bags at all.

The can drums definitely won't be allowed. We have drums and you're more than welcome to use them. We'll, drop me another line if you're interested.

Digital Camera will be allowed.

See ya next week.

Fonsos

5. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    The Chicago Transit Authority requires exact fare. It is normally $1.75 plus 30 cents for a transfer. You must buy the transfer when you get on. You can’t buy it later.
    Or you can buy a fare card at O’Hare or Midway Airports, or any El Station. Put 6 dollars or more on it and use it as you go. You recharge it, similar to card systems in others cities. No refund for unused portion.
    The CTA also has unlimited day passes for 5 dollars and 2 days is 9 dollars. A 3 day pass is 12 dollars. http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/fares.html
    You can’t buy these at very many places so buy it right away if you want to use one.
    The Red Line, Blue Line and many bus lines run 24 hours a day.
    Cabs are also safe and not so expensive if you are in a bind. The flag fall is $1.80, with 50 cents per person as an additional charge after the first passenger. Don’t take one from the Airport unless you like popping for 30 dollars or so. The Blue Line terminates at O’Hare and the Orange Line terminates at Midway.
    Before the World Cup, I recommended mass transit in Korea and a few people later said that was not the way to go, they enjoyed renting a car and driving. You can do that here like any other American city, but it will be a big summer weekend with incredible traffic and parking problems. I think mass transit is the way to go. Plus you can drink all you want and not worry about it.
    Thanks to genpabloescobar about the NASCAR traffic alert. I did not know about that.

6. IJS

IJS Member

Mar 28, 2000
    Naperville
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Green line stops at Roosevelt plus Orange and of course Fire RED but not the (allez) blue. But still great advice from Fonsos, the "Conemaster"

7. quarterUltra

quarterUltra Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Stillwater, OK
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CTA costs:
    $1.75 + .25 for a transfer. (not .30).
    Best bet is to buy a 3-day pass if you are here for the weekend. http://www.transitchicago.com

Mesh bag and other small bags:
    They are okay. I have had no problems bringing in a small backpack style purse. It will be searched. There is a size restriction, however. They will not allow large briefcases or bags or backpacks - i.e. school/gym size and larger.

You will not be allowed to bring in any food or drink period. Including sealed water bottles. Tip, bring a cap in if you want to buy one bottle of water and keep it refilled. They are very strict on not giving you the cap - per soccer regulations. They seem to think we'll flip them at the players or something.
    More OFFICIAL info at
    http://www.soldierfield.net/facilityGuide.aspx and includes max bag size posting.

TAILGATE:

TAILGATE WILL BEGIN 3 HOURS BEFORE THE MATCH. WE WILL ATTEMPT TO BREAK DOWN 30 MINUTES PRIOR TO KICKOFF. COSTS ARE $7 FOR NONBARNBURNER MEMBERS AND $5 FOR BARNBURNER MEMBERS. INCLUDES FOOD & 2 DRINK TICKETS (1 TICKET = SODA/DRAFT BEER/WATER, 2 TICKETS=BOTTLED BEER). 11-TICKET PUNCH CARDS ARE AVAILABLE FOR $10. EXTRA DRINK TICKETS ARE $1. EXACT CHANGE WILL BE GREAT APPRECIATED BY THE CASHIER (ME).

IF YOU ARE A VEGETARIAN AND WOULD PREFER VEGGIE DOGS/BURGERS, PLEASE CONTACT ME OR PAUL DARTER PRIOR TO FRIDAY JULY 9TH SO WE CAN PLAN ACCORDINGLY. AVAILABILITY OF FOOD IS FIRST COME FIRST SERVE SO COME EARLY.

LOCATION OF TAILGATE: TOP OF THE SOUTH PARKING DECK (WALDRON DECK). THERE ARE REAL RESTROOMS LOCATED ON THE LOWER LEVEL OF THE GARAGE.

I hope to see everyone I know and many new faces on Sunday!

GO USA!

Kirsten

8. amesfirequakes

Sep 22, 2001
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soldier Field Question

Are you required to walk through metal detectors when entering Soldier Field? I know they do bag/purse checks and it said on the SF website that people are subject to wand scans, but I was hoping someone who has attended games at SF would be able to give me more details. Thanks.
    --Amy

9. Fonsos

Fonsos Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Chicago
    Re: Soldier Field Question

Nope!!! They did have the wands in the past and they could have them for this match but so far this season for the Fire, I haven't seen people being scanned with a wand. There are no metal detectors at the gates the SF.

Fonsos
    :cool:

10. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
  11. dominikNYC

dominikNYC New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    NYC
    IF YOU ARE A VEGETARIAN AND WOULD PREFER VEGGIE DOGS/BURGERS, PLEASE CONTACT ME OR PAUL DARTER PRIOR TO FRIDAY JULY 9TH SO WE CAN PLAN ACCORDINGLY. AVAILABILITY OF FOOD IS FIRST COME FIRST SERVE SO COME EARLY.

Kirsten I'm a vegetarian and will be attending the pre game party so get them veggie burgers...

12. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    It can't wait much longer so please see this for up-to-date doubleheader fan info. It will be consistently updated, so keep checking it.

http://www.section8chicago.com/next.html

There's a lot of important info for those coming to this one.

13. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    All info is now up to date (in English and Polish) and this update has a lot of new information.

See section8chicago.com immediately if you are attending this match!

Special notes for those coming to help with setup; those bringing flags, drums, and banners; and tailgaters!

14. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    fonsos, any word on the baby-flag? i am leaving tomorrow morning for chicago and have not heard if i need to pick it up from matt or not. please let me know asap. thanks.

15. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Fidlerre, I got an email from Matt yesterday and he said he had mailed it to Fonsos on Tuesday.

16. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Chicago is organized on a grid pattern and it is easy to find the distance and location of a place if you know the address. State and Madison is the center of the city. All east-west street addresses can be identified by their distance from State Street, which is a north south-street. All north-south street addresses can be identified by their distance from Madison Street. Each mile is divided into 8 blocks.
    For example, Ginger’s Ale House is located at 3801 N. Ashland. Ashland is a north-south street and lies exactly 2 miles west of State Street. You can do the math and see that Ginger’s is located slightly less than 5 miles north of Madison Street.
    On the north side, east west-streets have names. On the south side (everything south of Madison Street for purposes of identifying street addresses), east-west streets are normally numbered. Thus, Soldier Field is located at 1000 East 18th street, 2.25 miles south of Madison Street and is slightly more than one mile east of State Street.
    The Red Line stop many people will be using is at 12th and State. You can tell it is 1 ½ miles south of Madison Street by dividing the street number by 8.
    Prior to 1871, Chicago was a mess, with no planning and chaos during rush hours. On October 8, 1871, debris from a comet fell on Chicago and Peshtigo, Wisconsin, 300 miles to the north. The two biggest fires in American history started at the same minute on the same evening. After the conflagration, the city was built according to the famed “Chicago Plan.” Fans who walk down Michigan Avenue or Columbus Drive on the way to Solider Field will see some of the Chicago Plan, with Grant Park and wide boulevards leading to the museum campus and Soldier Field.

17. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    okay, that works. just glad it made it.

18. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Tom, you provide some great info but if there's ever an election for Chicago municipal historian remind me not to vote for you. :p

19. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for all the great Chicago tips, boys and girls. Armed with a long arse list of fun things to do -- and a girlfriend who wants to do them all -- I will likely not make Ginger's but will definitely grab a handful of drafts at the Barn Burners tailgate party prior to the match... see ya Sunday!

Looking forward to a crazy party, a wild time, and a steady US victory.

20. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

how about big screen TV ? ...in addition to that, you may lay down on the sofa with some cans of beers....

21. Qamle

Qamle Member

May 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    How much are brew-dogs gonna cost? I'm gonna want to keep my buzz going...

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A female comet, I'm guessing....

[​IMG]

23. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Fidlerre, I don't know if the flag made it here yet or not. Matt said in his email he had mailed it to Fonsos on Tuesday.
    Beers inside Soldier Field are 6 dollars.

24. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Chicago was originally settled by Indian tribes, but they left no structures of any size, certainly nothing like Cahokia Mounds UNESCO site 150 miles to the southwest, the largest earthen structures in North America. The first European visitors were French missionaries. The first non-Indian settlement was by Pointe de Sable, a Haitian who established a trading house near where Michigan Avenue and the Chicago River intersect. The Chicago Museum of African-American History is named after the intrepid Du Sable, who married an Indian woman and learned 8 languages in the course of running his trading post.
    The city boomed with the building of railroads and with the Civil War. The comet debris that landed on October 8, 1871 were a blessing in disguise, allowing the reconstruction of the city on a grand scale.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/104-7498558-3292758?v=glance&s=books
    Chicago was luckier than Peshtigo, which never recovered fully from the blaze caused by the comet. http://mt.essortment.com/peshtigofire_rixl.htm
    Chicago’s coming-out party was the Columbian Exposition of 1993, which served notice that the United States had become the most technologically advanced nation on earth. The first telephone call was made on the site by Dom Pedro, the King of Brasil, the first electric street lights lit the grounds and the first Ferris Wheel entertained the visitors. The only structure remaining from the fair is the Museum of Science and Industry, near the 59th street stop on the Illinois Central Railway.

25. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Damnit!!!! How did I miss this?!?!?!?