Post-match: USA-Panama, WCQ, October 2017

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dr. Gamera, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good job moving the goal posts, and intentionally misrepresenting someone's point. All in one short post.

2. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Fair enough.

3. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    1. T&T is not as BAD as people think. They were leading Mexico away in about 75 minutes and just lost in the last few minutes.
    2. US didn't treat this game too seriously. And think they will automatically win just by showing up.

Zinkoff and jackiesdad repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The hoc-key pass.

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    A couple of things here

Arenas tactics were poor

Player performance was poor.

Players absolutely gave it their all, and deeply cared. That was obvious to see. They simply weren't good enough in the end.

Really, the match last night was the the symptom, and not the problem. The problem is somewhere in the US youth development and MLS development. Those two are what led to last night

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Since Landon retired, both LA Galaxy and the USMNT suck, despite both teams having on paper better players than ever.

Coincidence? Or is there a Donovan Curse?

It's a mystery.

7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Shush. Donovan was an overrated softy.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  8. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    bob ley doesnt know how to pronounce pulisic, repeats dribble ball home trope.

9. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Panama played 442 to start which is unusual for them, and silly against us as we struggle to break down set defenses & have a slow DM.

After we blitzed them early they made a sub who clearly motioned for a 4141, which is what the should have done from the start.

Don't get pissed because those of us who didn't like the formation/tactics vs Panama were proven right. Try to elevate your analysis beyond result only level thinking.

Sometimes you make bad decisions & get rewarded. Sometimes you make good ones & lose anyway. Hitting on 18 is still dumb, even if you get a 3.

Nothing Bruce did was that dim. However, starting Gonzo over Cameron + not playing Cam at all + leaving Bradley & his concrete shoes (zero midfield challenges won) as our sole shield + not calling FJ, calling & playing the ancient & not 100% healthy Howard.

All of those are hitting on, say, 16. The results were predictable and inevitable. He got lucky once & then mind numbingly did the same exact thing again.

10. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I said is that Donovan has the same number of WC goals as Zidane and Platini (while playing in shittier squads). Those are simply the facts. If the sentence is about is about WC goalscorers, then they will appear next to each other. Sorry.

11. DaniChandler

DaniChandler Member

Jun 9, 2013
    Panama Canal
    Club:
    Cruzeiro Belo Horizonte
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    Amazing soccer complex! I loved the Orlando City Stadium. I hope we get a similar stadium here in Panama at some point in the next years. Orlando is such a hot city, wow!! my gf and I almost got melted in the streets while waiting the opening of the stadium doors.

Even though I had issues with my ticket because it said general admission and the section was entirely empty, the show healed the bad moment. USSF did an amazing job: good fireworks, good chants performed by the americans in the supporter section (we seated close to them at the 22nd section) and I felt really as the away side, despite the great amount of panamanians that were there. A lot of emotions showed up during the anthem...special recognition to the guy who was next to the dj and started to yell U S A before both halves, that was cool!

After the game, I lost almost all my faith in the direct qualification and we all know how things ended, that's why I love soccer!!

I would repeat the experience If I have the chance, thanks for the hospitality, Orlando!