Post-match: USA-Panama, WCQ, October 2017

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dr. Gamera, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    The 4-0 margin was important: a USA draw in Panama will now put the USA in the World Cup unless Panama can defeat Costa Rica by at least 7 goals.

2. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Thanks, I was wondering how that shook out.

3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I look at Pulisic's style of play and I see a young Landon Donovan, I see the way he finishes goals and I see a young Landon Donovan, I see him in that #10 and I see a young Landon Donovan. Now I hear him post match and I realize he even SOUNDS like Landon Donovan.

Thing is. He's already better than Landon Donovan.

KUSA77, HartwickFan, wixson7 and 37 others repped this.
  4. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

TECHNICALLY if Honduras win their last 2 and we only get a tie on Tuesday then we will actually fall to 4th. Honduras plays both Costa Rica and Mexico though so it won't be easy for them

HartwickFan, Mr Martin, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  5. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume you mean draw in Trinidad.

And you're not actually correct anyway. We need Honduras to lose or draw tomorrow for that to be true. Honduras still can still max out at 15 points.

6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    following 90 minutes in TnT im ready for some changeover to happen. Starting at central defense. Im not sure Dempsey has it anymore, and Nagbe constantly looks confused and not sure what to do with the ball. We need to start bringing in the EPB, Weston McKinnie types. MLS guys like Lletget need to get plugged in when back, and guys who showed well in the GC like Rowe.

2 of the 3 of GCam, Gonzo, and Besler will not be at the world cup. Mark it down.

Zinkoff and markandrew78 repped this.
  7. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Really? I don't see Donovan. They're goth fast and dangers in stretching the defense, but Donovan was never really a guy that just crushed defenders on the dribble like Pulisic does.

8. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    I think they would need to win by 8. If they won by 7 we'd have them on goals scored.

Winoman and kennytt repped this.
  9. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Panama will fire their coach if they don't qualify.

Wood needs a better club theam than Hamburger SV

Arriola was better.

We will be going to the WC.

10. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    He used to when he was younger, when he wanted to. Though not as well as Pulisic in close position. Then again he's a better passer than Pulisic.

But really, the skill set and strengths of both players are very similar. They just excel in different areas - but stylistically? Very similar.

I believe Pulisic to be far more resilient mentally though. Landon could be taken out of a match with early failures. That's not true of Christian

12. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Man they just sort of walked around the last 20 minutes.

They probably should have had 3-4 more goals.

I can't believe how stupid and naive Panama played.

russ, GHjelm, juveeer and 4 others repped this.
  13. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Nagbe did fine. He wasn't needed in the attack, and he did good just keeping out of the way of the attack and not trying to do to much. Sometimes, simply not being a ball stopper is what you need out of a player.

14. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there's few similarities in their games. Entirely differently players once you get past pace. There's no one in US history who plays Pulisic's style. Must compare outside the US bubble.

Anyhow, I'm doing this sober October bullshit so someone have a drink or three for me.

GiallorossiYank, TxEx, Bajoro and 4 others repped this.
  15. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Done. And then some.

dlokteff, WrmBrnr and Winoman repped this.
  16. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol...

17. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    Yedlin and Wood were the best 2 players on the field for me. Pulisic and Jozy also very good. Everyone else was average to bad. It's great to win 4-0, tho.

jnielsen, TxEx, kennytt and 1 other person repped this.
  18. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulisic has almost single-handedly saved the Nat'l Team this cycle and quite possibly, US Soccer from irrelevancy in America's sports culture.

19. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Am I the only one wondering if five years from now an investigation will turn up that Panama threw this game?

Good on the USMNT for pounding them one way or another.

QuakeAttack, jnielsen and eainterplay repped this.
  20. GoBigBlue88

GoBigBlue88 Member+

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I was surprised by this too. The last 20' were prime time for Dempsey to net 1-2, and he/the team looked entirely disinterested in doing so. I won't lose sleep over it, just surprised it didn't happen.

21. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really liked the way Bobby Wood played today...he's my non-Pulisic man of the match. He did a lot of important "dirty work". He won headers, held up the ball, worked hard defensively. Today he was also able to create his own chances even when he had to take on 3 or 4 players. If only he was a slightly better finisher he would have had a hat trick.

Panama completely blew the game plan. Why they didn't bunker and counter, like everyone else has successfully done against us, is beyond me.

jnielsen, sakibomb523, sXeWesley and 9 others repped this.
  22. Pisscutter

Pisscutter Member

Apr 15, 2005
    Got you covered, Captain. (Willing to take one for the greater good. Only problem is that it’s cheap vodka from the local gas station. Methinks $2.99 for a quart might be a telling sign... even Boone’s Farm costs more.)

Nice win, even if the defense had some hairy moments in the first half.

23. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I didn't think there was a single bad performance out there, while Nagbe and the 2 CBs were the only average ones (and that wasn't Nagbe' s fault), everyone else was ranged from good to brilliant

24. the5timechamp

the5timechamp Member+

Nov 3, 2012
    I actually enjoyed Nagbes stay out of the way presence in this match... if he had really been needed im sure he could have made himself available to ferry the ball forward and release some pressure.. as it is he wasnt needed and he was "smart" enough to not be a ball stopper..... the game pace changed in 2nd half, as such he was more involved....

Benny playing in next match would be nice too

manq360, swedust, Bajoro and 2 others repped this.