USA-Mexico -- When will tickets go on sale??

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by PhillyQuakesFan, Nov 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    they cant really have a short camp. the match is on a wednesday and all the major european leagues have matches scheduled for the weekend before. a player who plays in england for instance will have a match saturday and then have to fly out saturday night or sunday morning.

2. ryebreadraz

ryebreadraz Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taking a quick look at some of the fixtures the weekend before the Mexico match for a few of the players we assume will be in the squad.

Tim Howard (Everton) and Clint Dempsey (Fulham) play Saturday. Demarcus Beasley and Mo Edu (Rangers) play Sunday and Jozy Altidore (Villareal) plays Sunday.

As you can see, not only will there be matches the weekend before the match, but some of our guys have Sunday matches so there's no way we have a short camp beforehand. The closest thing we'll have to a camp before it is an extension of Camp Cupcake for MLS players and those on break in the Scandanavian leagues.

3. 3.2's

3.2's Member

Oct 22, 2007
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    beasley and edu havent really been playing for rangers, so that shouldnt matter much. howard is a goalie and i dont think it is as big of a strain on goalies.

4. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    regardless of the position played or if they are playing, if the team is playing its a safe bet that the players wont leave until after that match

5. ThePebble

ThePebble New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Not necessarily true. The game is more likely to be 8pm local time. They did that in Chicago as well as in DC for the two most recent games.

As such, the kick-off on the East Coast will be 11pm at night.

The USSF would almost have to start at 8 since a 6pm kick-off would likely force people to leave work early just to get to the stadium on time. It would also rule out the attendance of some US fans as they know that they could be stuck at work or stuck in rush hour traffic. A 7pm kick-off is a possibility, but not as likely.

I also pointed out that there is a 3-hour time difference between the east and west. You are forcing players to adapt to even more of a change. It is an absurd problem to add to a team that is playing the top competition in their group.

Rangers are not scheduled on the weekend before the 11th. It is possible that a game could be scheduled on that weekend (say a cup game or make-up fixture) but as of right now, there is no guarantee that they will be playing.

Beasley just started on Saturday and Edu was on the bench. That means that they have to be at least game ready on that day regardless of whether or not they play.

They will still need to travel and then deal with the time difference.

6. ryebreadraz

ryebreadraz Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oops, I read the wrong week. Thanks for catching that.

7. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I am crushed hearing all this news about no Mexico game in C-bus.. WTF?

8. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    nothing has been announced.

9. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Unless they are morons, the game will be in Columbus. Don't panic yet

10. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
  12. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Goff

14. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So maybe not SLC after all.

15. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is that they are, in fact, morons.

16. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know Columbus is our best home venue, without a doubt. But I think a lot of us on here ( including myself ) are underestimating how great SLC could be.

Obviously it will be hard to match what Columbus has done in 2001 and 2005, but SLC had fantastic support for the nats in 2005, and if they happened to get this game, the entire city would get behind the team, and combine that with the amount of travelling fans, it could be just as difficult for mexico to play in SLC.

And we could add another venue to a growing list of places mexico cant beat us :)

17. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have a problem with SLC, except that it isn't Columbus.

Columbus is in the Mexicans' heads. It will be cold. It's tradition. This game should not be played anywhere other than Columbus--and frankly, I don't want to play the away leg anywhere other than Azteca.

18. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or we could have a great venue with great support to beat Honduras or Costa Rica at. If the fans will come out for a lesser opponent then maybe we can play higher profile games in SLC in the future.

19. 3.2's

3.2's Member

Oct 22, 2007
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we already drew 45000 for costa rica in the WQC hex in 05, and got props from the national team players on the support. Based on the atmosphere for the conference final at rio tinto last month, there is no reason to believe the atmosphere would not be similar, if not better.

20. St. Patrick

St. Patrick Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Milwaukee, WI
    Comes back to one simple requirement: Pro-US crowd and controlling the tickets to that end.

21. 3.2's

3.2's Member

Oct 22, 2007
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and why would that not be able to happen in a 20008 seat stadium that has an established season ticket base?

22. St. Patrick

St. Patrick Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm not saying it can't happen. Just saying that it MUST happen by whatever means that are legal. If RSL ticket holders purchase above their weight (meaning four or five tickets on top of their own seats), then its completely doable. If they just purchase their seats, it leaves around 15000 or so available, not counting the USSoccer pre-sale. Minimum should be 70-30 split and the more lopsided the better.

23. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having the game in Salt Lake is going to pull a lot of us west coasters that can't really afford to do Columbus.

If they confirm its in SLC, I know we'll be roadtripping to the tune of 5 or 6 from Phoenix. The SCB has promised to bring people from LA as well.

I'm looking forward to it!

24. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can say the same for Columbus and the East Coast. New York is a closer to Columbus than LA is to Salt Lake City.

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    2000-2008 - U.S. home World Cup Qualifiers

East of the Mississippi River - 18
    West of the Mississippi River - 3 (Kansas City, Salt Lake, Denver)