Pre-match: USA-Mexico WCQ, Columbus, Ohio, 11 November 2016

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dr. Gamera, Sep 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Who will miss a late PK to preserve the 2-0 scoreline this cycle?

Berks and Guinho repped this.
  2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    it doesn't have to be a PK, y'know ... Beasley's stoppage time sitter in '05 was from live play.

3. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    My first 2-0 I'm going to miss. :( Have fun out there.

Mt Stone@ repped this.
  4. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Mexico might leave off some of their Euro based players for the hex matchups

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Makes sense. Guardado looked poor, Jona is playing only as a sub with Villarreal, and Herrera looks half the player with their NT than he does with Porto. Vela may be back, though, now that he's starting again with RSo.

juveeer repped this.
  6. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Turns out we have the momentum going into this one. Hope it's cold.

7. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    JJ, Jozy, MB, Deuce, Bedoya, Zusi will start and there will again be a collective sigh from BS.

Mexico is very beatable and we should put them in the ground but instead I expect us to play defensively.

Gacm32 and sXeWesley repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They're coming snake-bit, finishing behind us in Copa and, worse, getting destroyed 7-0.

Beating El Salvador and tying Honduras cannot have washed the bitterness off their system.

9. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    We should never get complacent with Mexico, they remain our biggest rival in the Hex no matter what they're going through. That being said, our boys should take care of business amd please JK no Bedoya.

Gacm32 and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  10. OlympiquedeMarseille

Apr 18, 2012
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You can't really speak of momentum until after October. The New Zealand game should be especially interesting since both the USA & Mexico will be playing them.

WrmBrnr and mike4066 repped this.
  11. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think you probably can. The US has been on a roll recently, whereas Mexico will have tied Honduras in a dreadful performance at home. That's the last competitive match before the game in Columbus, meanwhile, the US will come off of a dismantling of T&T, with a hot group of forwards.

12. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    And somebody lost 7-0 recently. Who was that again?

napper and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil? ...No, they scored a goal. It was someone else.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't sound like JJ will from latest report, he can't do more then jog without pain and no laterally movement allowed from instability of knee(s).

15. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Mexico has a lot of talent, and can be a good side at times. However, this is not one of those times. We should bury them at home, and attack them like we attacked T&T. No more slow starts, no more defensive posture at home. We need to attack at home, and put the game away early. If we let Mexico get into a rhythm, like in October last year, it will be difficult to impose ourselves on the game.

16. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    4-4-2

Altidore Wood
    Johnson, Klejstan, Cameron, Pulisic
    Anybody, Besler, Brooks, Yedlin

I think that team could ball. Alas it is doubtful we see it, but at a minimum a fit Pulisic is first name on the team sheet for me.

17. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If kljestam bosses vs mexico then I'll get on that hype but until then I dont think you should bench MB. Especially when you swap him for geoff who was a solid CB at the copa. Do not lose faith in MB. Hes a damn good player and i believe he will rise to the occasion, but he does need to sort out this funk very soon.

18. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    Altidore, Dempsey/Wood
    Johnson, Kljestan, Jones/Bradley, Pulisic
    Besler, Cameron, Brooks, Yedlin
    Howard

Jones and Dempsey start if healthy, they're big game players.

21st Century Pele repped this.
  19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Gotta use real fullbacks to defend against Mexico.

It's too early to bet the farm on Kljestan.

--------------Wood-----Altidore------
    --------Nagbe----Bradley---Pulisic----
    -------------------Cameron-----
    ----Johnson------------------------Yedlin----
    -------------Brooks-----Gonzalez----
    -------------------Howard----

20. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    I hope that we can keep this thread on topic about the Mexic0-7ational team.

Marko72 repped this.
  21. Mt Stone@

Mt Stone@ Member

Apr 30, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  22. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No inform Altidore. Dropped.

I don't get why Christian didn't get a 70-71. You don't play as much as he has without being at least a mid-level silver.

Gacm32 repped this.
  23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Cameron has been playing CM in part because he wasn't doing well as a CB, in part because they've changed from a 4-1-4-1 to a 4-2-3-1 to give Whelan some support covering the back line --they're defending a lot.

Yedlin has played as a RW/RF sub until now, that Anita got suspended and finally started a game, as RB.

Fabian Johnson is a fixture on the left of midfield for 'Gladbach. He still plays LB at times. He hasn't played RM since the ManCity game, and he did very little there. In short, FJ doesn't look as good on the right with his club (also remember the Ingolstadt game last season: he ended up getting replaced early).

Brooks has been out injured for three games already, reported as having "muscular spasms" --but the coach seems quite happy with the Langkamp-Stark duo, so he may have to fight his way back to the starting XI:

http://www.ligainsider.de/john-anthony-brooks_684/nicht-im-kader-gegen-frankfurt-159136/

Johannsson is suspended, as we all know, and didn't look sharp when he was out there. He needs to produce something soon, before he becomes a bencher, but that's no small challenge in Werder --although somehow his replacement, Lennart Thy, has managed to score on the run of play with the same lack of service.

Frankly, Aronjo is over-rated at 74 for the time being, and wouldn't call him for the quals until he starts showing something with his club.

Nagbe is getting back in-form, although still overrated at 75: that was back when he was tearing it, second half of last season and this season before Copa. Right now he's at best a 72.

Pulisic is under-rated, we all know that. And by merit, should be a starter.

Bobby Wood seems to have lost some steam, since he's with a club that fits him badly (IMO): two goals with those guys is no small accomplishment, but there's not the same felicity observed during his time with Union Berlin.

Bradley is looking better than before, still not an 80 IMO, but we have to make do, and in these games he tends to be necessary, but not sufficient.

JJV1994 repped this.
  24. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to see the US score as many as possible against Mexico.

2-0 isn't enough, but I suppose I'm in the minority on that one.

Dempsey should've made it 3-0.