Post-match: USA - Honduras 2018 World Cup Qualifier (Friday, 3/24) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The final score is:

[​IMG] 6 - 0 [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG]
    GO USA!!! [​IMG]

-G

P.S. = Please don't post results of other soccer games and other sports' games in this thread until at least 24 hours after they've ended.

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Avaya Stadium is the elixir that cures the USMNT. All home qualifiers for USMNT must be played at Avaya Stadium from this moment on.And wow, Pulisic is really good.

markmcf8, Mr. Bandwagon, davez and 6 others repped this.
  3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3 Goodsport, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    The USMNT was impressive today! :cool:

The changes to Avaya Stadium (even if they were just for today's game) were also impressive, from widening the playing field width to the proper 75 yards corner-flag to corner-flag, to adding stands to the south end to provide an enclosed-stadium experience, to at least adding some kind of exterior skin (in the form of player pic banners in this case) to some part of the stadium. :thumbsup:

Also, here's a sobering thought: it shows how badly the USMNT's performances in the previous two qualifiers were that today's 6-0 scoring explosion brought its overall goal differential way up to only +1. :eek:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG]
    GO USA!!! [​IMG]

-G

markmcf8, xbhaskarx, davez and 2 others repped this.
  4. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    place looked and sounded good on TV..(especially the Ultra's :thumbsup:).

Avaya looked pretty full for the most part on TV, though a few empty moat seats. Why was section 106 (where our season tickets are) so empty? someone buy a big block and tickets and then not show up or did that section not sell because of the high ticket prices?

Glad to see the USA get back on track.....players seem much more relaxed under BA than they did with JK....lets hope for a similar performance Tuesday against Panama....

5. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was weird - I was in 109 and it was at most half full. 108, next to us, the first ten rows were almost all empty. The ticketmaster showed all those seats as bought (unlike the sections across the way). The seats had the colored cards taped to them, so the card stunt wouldn't totally fail, although it was not very effective because if someone is standing in front of those seats you can't see the card taped to the seat behind them.

I'm guessing that people bought those tickets but didn't want to sit in the seats because of the rain - maybe they sat up higher where they were not getting wet, or maybe they were at the LOBINA, or watching on one of the field club TVs you can see while you're warm and dry under the stands.

6. LetBinding

LetBinding Member

Jan 30, 2017
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    #6 LetBinding, Mar 25, 2017
    Here are some pics from section 137, one of the makeshift stands in front of the LOBINA.

IMG_9800.JPG
    IMG_9806.JPG
    IMG_9812.JPG

7. LetBinding

LetBinding Member

Jan 30, 2017
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Here is a video I managed to capture of the Clint Dempsey free kick.

bsman, Beerking, SoccerMan94043 and 2 others repped this.
  8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't remember the last time the USA won this big in a World Cup Qualifying game.The atmosphere at Avaya Stadium was electric!

don gagliardi repped this.
  9. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously we fell a few hundred short of a sellout, but US Soccer's strategy of limiting/dispersing Honduran fans via the lottery seemed to have worked...

Early goals had a big role in quieting Honduran fans, but I didn't see a big group of them concentrated in one area...

10. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in BC27 which was mostly full and about 75% US fans. I'm guessing this wasn't shown on TV since it was on the other side from most of the cameras, but sections 103 and 104 (I think) were at least 75% empty.

Pulisic combined really well with Dempsey, didn't seem like he did with Altidore. I also thought Bradley had an excellent game.

Nagabe was pretty bad in my eyes, but maybe he was given strict instructions to play defensively given that lineup. Finally while we didn't get to see much of Legett (sp?), I didn't think he was very good either.

11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Lletget did a really nice job on his goal, the first of the game. Lots of players would have made a mess of the chance or not even have been in position to have the chance. Also, he was hobbling for a good while before he finally went down and had to be subbed out.

12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #12 JazzyJ, Mar 25, 2017
    Pulisic played some inch perfect passes, like the one to Dempsey for the first goal. Wound up with a goal and 2 assists I think and really made the first goal happen as well though it didn't show up on the stat sheet. Not a bad nights work. I was wondering why Bruce didn't take him out though after it was 6-0 or sooner. Both he and Dempsey. Pulisic in particular was getting hacked pretty badly. I guess Bruce wanted to rack up goals for GD?

13. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair on the injury... it wasn't clear to me what happened. And yes I'm glad he followed the play and scored. Guess I'll be unconvinced until I see him play a bit more at this level; Arena nepotism has left a bad taste in my mouth that is no fault of Lletget (thanks for the proper spelling!).

14. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Injuries?

Pulisic is a really smart player for only being 18. His timing is outstanding... not only his runs, but how quickly he releases the ball, when he goes into a tackle, etc. His quickness and ability to read the game reminds me of LD way back when.

markmcf8 and don gagliardi repped this.
  15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Well it doesn't matter how smart or quick you are, sometimes guys are going to get you, especially when they are embarrassed and pissed off. There was at least one time where he was hacked badly and was slow getting up. Plus there's another game in a few days. Why sub defenders. Only thing I can think of is that Bruce wanted to rack up goals and thought that he'd get while the gettin's good.

16. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found Bernardez from last night! From a thread on Reddit, he was on the Honduras TV crew:

[​IMG]

tenfourteen repped this.
  17. Cuzinatti10

Cuzinatti10 Member

Nov 9, 2006
    That pic is not the "Honduras TV crew".

18. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok... I thought that's what the thread said.... I was at the game and haven't seen a recording. Univision?

Seaball repped this.
  19. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brooks went out with an injury. Not sure why Zusi was subbed in.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Christian Pulisic is only 18 years old and its amazing the skill level he is displaying. If they can produce more players like him, the USA shouldn't have a huge problem qualifying for WC 2018 and going far in the tournament.The problem is developing and finding those types of players.

USA-Honduras: Takeaways from a rare Hexagonal romp
    [​IMG]
    Video Pick: How Clint Dempsey completed his hat trick
    USA-Honduras World Cup Qualifier Player Ratings
    By the Numbers: USA ties Hexagonal records with 6-0 win
    What They're Saying: Bruce Arena
    What They're Saying: Christian Pulisic

21. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulisic was involved in 5 of the 6 goals. Scored one, assisted on two, had the shot that was saved then tapped in by Llegett, and drew the foul that Dempsey scored on from the free kick. Should have had another assist late in the game when he played that perfect cross to Altidore in front of the goal, but,unfortunately Jozy misplayed it off his chest and it was defended.

markmcf8 repped this.
  22. Pcp Yoko

Pcp Yoko Member+

Jun 2, 2002
    Mid Peninsula
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably didn't take him out because two early subs were burned for injuries. Not sure why the Zushi-Cameron switch was made.

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Oh yeah, that's right, forgot about that. I would have still taken him out instead of Cameron. Him or Dempsey. But right now it seems that Pulisic is the USMNT's most important player. He's the new Donovan, only better I think.

25. Cuzinatti10

Cuzinatti10 Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Yes Univision crew. That's Marcelo Balboa (former US Nats player) in the pic.