USA @ Guatemala March 25 2016

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Real Corona, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you staying downtown again?

2. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member+

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yep. Zona 1. Same spot. Hotel Ajau (http://www.hotelajau.com/).

Rooms with bathrooms or shared (compartido) for the cheapest of the cheap, like me.

Super close to the Transmetro BRT, 12 minute walk to the estadio.

Now for game tickets. US Soccer?

3. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Just heard back from AO. They (them and/or USSoccer) will have individual tickets available in the next few weeks. As usual, the FedefutGuate isn't being super helpful. They wait until the very last minute to announce ticket sales and pricing.

So stay tuned, we will all be fine.

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Us soccer ar pretty good about finding a way to get away tickets to people.

5. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    This just posted on AO website, doesn't hurt to send him an email, though he'll let you know they are waiting on the Guate Fed. Baby steps.

"If you just need tickets to the game, email brian@theamericanoutlaws.com"

6. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    AO Night Before:

March 24, 2016

Westin Camino Real

Guatemala City
    7 pm

7. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
  8. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Boom, here we go.. Just bought my 2 tix. $35/ticket.

"Below is the link you can use to purchase tickets. Please note there are a limited amount of tickets available and they are on a first-come first-served basis. These tickets will be mailed to you via UPS after March 16th. When entering your details, please use the best mailing address:

https://oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/ussoccer/EN/link/buy/details/16m0325

9. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Everyone get there tickets? All good?

USS will express mail them on the 17th, I believe

10. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member+

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes, I bought the one I need.

I am surprised and a bit disappointed that US Soccer didn't send out an email to its USSSC membership offering tickets. Maybe few people would travel to the match, but why not ask?

I reached out to US Soccer ticketing and they hooked me up.

I guess the USSSC is still in transition and they are busy calculating caps.

11. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder

Agree, why not blast it out? Very strange.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That goes back to them basically being useless for the past year plus

13. Go_LA_Lazers

Go_LA_Lazers New Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Is anyone headed to Antigua the day after the match? I emailed a shuttle company to arrange a pickup, and got this reply: "Unfortunately during Holy Week - Semana Santa we won't be operating those Shuttle/Collective services due to heavy traffic in Antigua and the impossibility to reach most areas."

A bit concerned, I asked them what kind of travel time I'd be looking at for the usually 45-minute trip and they said: "traveling early in the morning Gua-Ant or Ant-Gua its possible, taking around 2hrs (usually at a meeting point). in the afternoon it becomes messy, 2-3hrs."

A good friend who's Guatemalan is working to arrange a driver to Antigua that morning; still waiting on pricing, but drop me a PM if interested in possibly sharing the ride...

14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI the entire country will be heading to Antigua that weekend.

As long as you're ready for that.

15. doogiemo

doogiemo Member

Aug 11, 2005
    ohh USA, USA USA USA
    Their reply doesn't surprise me one bit as it really is a mad house down there starting on Wed all the way thru Sunday.
    I lived in Guate some time and knew to stay away from Antigua those days. Not trying to discourage you from visiting because it's a beautiful little town BUT if you must go, get there early. I'd say be there by 8am if possible.

Luckily on Saturday, the main even doesn't start until 3pm but streets will be closed to prepare for it hours in advance. Another thing to consider, the old city ruins (temples, churches, etc) that is one of the cool sites to visit, might all be closed due to the activities.

On Sunday alone (the main day), the small town is expecting over 1 million people, with parking lots as far as 2km away. Just so you get an idea of the insanity that it's Semana Santa in Antigua. Similar crowds on Friday and Satruday (links in Spanish)

http://www.prensalibre.com/guatemal...-en-el-dia-mas-visitando-en-antigua-guatemala

http://laantiguaguatemala.org/2016/...sma-y-semana-santa-2016-la-antigua-guatemala/

If you do end up going, plan on an all day visit as there will simply be no quick in and out.

A suggestion, go visit Lake Atitlán instead. There will be some traffic (as it will be in all of the country) but not Antigua style. The view around the lake it's simply amazing and on your way back to the city from the lake, maybe traffic into Antigua has slowed down and you can go visit for some photo ops.

Let us know if you have any other questions and good luck with whatever you decide to visit. GO USA!!!

16. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    @doogiemo you are going to the game, right? Hope so.

I'm in Antigua the 2 days prior to the game and then taking the 1:00AM flight out after the game, so will just keep the party going and pass out on the plane. Can't wait!!

17. doogiemo

doogiemo Member

Aug 11, 2005
    ohh USA, USA USA USA
    I'll be in Colombia for the U23 match, baby Nats need love too ;)

Have some "Indita de Jamaica" for me please! that's some good stuff!!

wixson7 repped this.
  18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to emphasize, the town normally has about 30,000 people. And since it's nestled up in a mountain valley it will literally be bursting at the seams.

If you're going to go best realize you are going for the Semana Santa celebrations, not to see the town. Like visiting New Orleans during Mardi Gras, or Rio during Carnival or Mecca during the Hajj ... except of course those cities are a million people plus.

Just nuts....

[​IMG]

19. Go_LA_Lazers

Go_LA_Lazers New Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Thanks Real Corona and doogiemo. I had planned on packed in Antigua, but not bursting-at-the-seams packed. I am definitely interested in visiting Lake Atitilan as an alternative, but all the shuttles to there pass through Antigua, so not sure they will be operating! Taxi looks like minimum $80-100, guessing more during Semana Santa.

Doogiemo - Any suggestions on reaching Panajachel without going through Antigua?

20. doogiemo

doogiemo Member

Aug 11, 2005
    ohh USA, USA USA USA
    The highway that takes you to Lake Atitlán its the same that one would would take to Antigua but after one hour drive from Guate city, it splits up so it does not go through Antigua. So maybe you can find a shuttle that will keep going straight on the highway and not take the Antigua route. I'm sure they do it to pick up more passengers but to get to the lake you do NOT have to go through Antigua.

There's another way to get to the lake, it's 30 mins longer but the problem with that one is that's heading south towards the pacific coast, another nightmare drive during Semana Santa.

It's Saturday your only travel day?

If so, he's what I would do. Leave Guate city as early as possible (hopefully before 7am), they'll be some traffic all the way to Chimaltenango (1.5 hrs away from the city) and then it should open up a bit.

Have breakfast in "El Pedregal" in Santa Apolonia, take some photos of the lake from "El Mirador", hang out in Panajachel (popular town on the edge of the lake) and maybe a boat ride if time allows it.

Start heading back to the city around 4pm and stop at "Chichoy Restaurante Aguas Calientes" for a snack. Food at this place is amazing! Tortillas con carne, pastelito de piña con papaya, damn! I could go all day.

Can't really help you with taxi prices but try these 2 companies, highly rated on Tripadvisor. Maybe they can work something out for you.

http://www.adrenalinatours.com/

http://www.rainbowtravelcenter.com/

Post back if you have more questions, will gladly help

21. Go_LA_Lazers

Go_LA_Lazers New Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Awesome, thanks doogiemo. If I have additional questions I'll PM you, so as not to hijack this thread and turn it into my personal Trip Advisor/Lonely Planet forum ;)

wixson7 repped this.
  22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's half of what these away threads are for haha

Go_LA_Lazers and wixson7 repped this.
  23. canchon

canchon Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, now I could go on all day about the breakfast en El Pedregal. That advice is definitely on point.

Traffic wise, yeah, you will be in a nightmare until you go straight to Chimaltenango and everyone turns off to Antigua.

doogiemo repped this.
  24. doogiemo

doogiemo Member

Aug 11, 2005
    ohh USA, USA USA USA
    Dude PLEASE DON'T!!!!

mmm... avena con mermelada de sauco!!

canchon repped this.
  25. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    image.jpeg

In case AO doesn't announce an official meeting/tailgate location, I'd recommend meeting at the open park area on the southwest side of the stadium. At the bottom right of this photo. There is that circle park with the white statue thing in the middle. There will be tons of beer vendors (aka: kids with trash bags full of cold beer for sale), plus a stage with a DJ/band/promo stuff. Very fun/festive atmosphere.

I'll be there with the wife a few hours before to soak up the atmosphere. Btw, loved the Guate fans last time that were burning a big Dempsey effigy doll. Good times.

TimBoston repped this.