[USA Friendlies] Matches That Failed...

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by bobo81, May 27, 2006.

1. bobo81

bobo81 Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Ciudad De Dios
    Could someone give us a list of teams we tried to play friendlies with that never went through...

I recall there being some talk for Ireland, & Nigeria...Any more?

2. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also Croatia and Tunisia.

3. bobo81

bobo81 Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Ciudad De Dios
    Mexico was probably one :rolleyes:

4. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    We tried to schedule with Croatia and Tunisia? Good calls both of them (defensive-minded, plus Croatia brings a level of midfield creativity and attack) but you rarely see two WC-bound teams play each other during this phase of pre-WC friendlies. Ireland and Nigeria would've probably been our best competition among eliminated teams, along with somebody like Romania. But I bet that their dance card was full. Everybody wanted to play them. It's kind of impressive that Holland chose to play a friendly against us in 2002 considering I'm sure that everybody wanted them on their friendly schedule too, if you think about it.

5. Awesom-O

Awesom-O New Member

May 16, 2006
    Columbia, SC
    Didnt know where else to post this, Wales beat T&T today 2-1 in a Friendly. ;P

6. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

How about in the Wales or Trinidad forum? Stop putting results in random threads.

7. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that I think about it, we attempted to schedule friendlies with France and Portugal as well. We actually had agreed to play one with the Czech Republic (date was not set, but it was definitely on), which was cancelled after we were drawn into the same World Cup group.

For some reason or another, we had a whole lot of friendlies fall through.

Perhaps it's not accurate to say we tried to schedule vs. Tunisia - it was Tunisia that wanted to play us, in Tunis on June 2, but we ended up scheduling a match vs. Angola in Germany instead. Our rationale for not accepting the Tunisia match was probably avoiding extra travel from Germany to Tunisia and back to Germany, which would be a pain after having already set up camp in Hamburg.

8. Awesom-O

Awesom-O New Member

May 16, 2006
    Columbia, SC
    Stop trolling the USA board, we dont take shit as seriously as you guys. And there is no Welsh or Trinidad forum, and I wasnt going to make a whole new thread in the European Countries board about a result.

9. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

Get wound up easily?
    I honestly couldn't care who posted the result, do that during the World Cup and it wont be just me calling you out.

Show me a post where i have bashed the USA in this forum. You cannot.

Whereas you came into the England forum and pontificated on a game when you didn't know where it was being played and you were not even watching. You then proceeded to put results all over the forum as well.

As for the Welsh and Trinidad forums

You seem to have found the Welsh forum already

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354515

For Trinidad it is here.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=999

And for the record, I live in the USA so i will wander into those forums whenever i damn well please. And by your definition of troll i am not trolling. So you might not want to accuse me of that.

10. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Awesome-o - Please don't post random scores in random threads. And stop with the abusive posts.

And just a note to US fans that want to troll other boards - you will most likely get a timout from BigSoccer no matter how mild you think you are being. We plan to crack down hard on guests not acting like such.

11. bobo81

bobo81 Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Ciudad De Dios
    Wow we coulda had a crazy schedule!
    Denmark would have been another good match. Tunisia also probably fell through cause of security reasons. Who knows...Any more?

12. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I just remembered a few more. We were in talks with both Spain and Ukraine over the March 1 friendly date. Obviously we ended up with Poland instead... also, we were hoping to play Mexico in April, instead of Jamaica. Finally, Romania was supposed to be part of the Send-Off Series, instead of (IIRC) Venezuela. Obviously the last is frustrating because the Romanians actually are in the US, playing friendlies vs. Colombia and Northern Ireland.

Why we made no attempt to schedule Colombia, I don't know, seeing as they're actually in the country.

13. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So... distilling the above, we could have scheduled the following, which all fell through for some reason or another:

Ireland
    Nigeria
    Croatia
    Tunisia
    France
    Portugal
    Czech Republic
    Spain
    Ukraine
    Mexico
    Romania

14. bobo81

bobo81 Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Ciudad De Dios
    Yeah I remember that, what a waste! All those teams were in the U.S. and we didnt take advantage of it. I wonder what the reason was...Surely it would have been no hassle to extend their stay to play us.

15. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the Romanians apparently decided that Northern Ireland was a more appealing opponent than us... they were in the US for the whole time that we were playing the Send-Off Series.

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I play kickaround with a bunch of Romanian expats and they all thought up to a couple of weeks ago that there was going to be a Romania - US match. I told that it was not likely as we really wanted to test our mettle against a good side like Latvia. For some reason they turned all red in the face and there was steam coming out of their ears.