PBP: USA - CRC World Cup Qualifer - 2nd half[R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hehe...just like I read elsewhere, that Davies deserves to start based on his 10 minutes of play.

2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I wouldn't necessarily start Davies tomorrow v. Honduras, but I think you are misinterpreting at least some of the pro-Davies comments. The third-string QB remark you quoted addresses the folly of judging how well Davies played (v. more relaxed defense) but not how hard he played.

Davies played as though he was not afraid and - more importantly - as though he cared. Unfortunately, those qualities stood out in stark relief compared with those demonstrated by many of his teammates Wednesday night.

3. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I love Davies, and how he plays (minus the elbows) -- but I read elsewhere that he looked good the other night and deserves to play based on that.

4. DempC

DempC Member

Jul 31, 2007
    You might have a point if we were talking about a regular sports team.

International soccer isn't that. The games are so infrequent, that you have to take a far more aggregate approach. Adu on aggregate consistently delivers for the nats and not just as a sub in the final 10 minutes.

Furthermore, it wasn't even about how CR's defense handled him. It was simply his touch/confidence on the ball and his skill. That alone showed a huge step up from pretty much the rest of the team.

In internationals, all you have are limited spurts to judge players. You have to have a keen eye for talent that can spot it quickly to be a good intl coach.

5. DempC

DempC Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Here's the thing...Davies deserves to play because he's a damn good striker. It's quite simple.

Sure, one performance alone, no. But it boils down to a basic eye for talent. When considering his total CV, Davies deserves to play, even if he's got limited Nat's time.

We can't wait around for everyone to be landon donovan in terms of experience before we'll give them a shot. Intl soccer is far too infrequent for that. To be "experienced" in intl soccer takes a very long time. We can squander good players by using conventionally American approaches to soccer.

6. pancholama

pancholama Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree - he's really progressing, ripening. We will see good things from Davies in the near future.

Also - had this thought while shaving - in the event that, you don't have two of your best D middies (Bradley carded out, Edu out for three months) - an interesting line up in the midfield - Dempsey and Rico Clark playing D and holding middies - Adu wing right mid-field, and wing left, Donovan, or DeMBeas. Kljestan could also play on the left or the right wing.

Of course coming up the ranks you have to consider:
    Szetela, Feilhaber, Zizzo, Holden, Gavin (if he ever gets really serious about his true calling), Rogers, or Becker-rasta-man.

I'm surey'all can come up with another half dozen or so US eligible, who you might want to throw into the mix if say - Beaze, Dempsey and/or Donovan are suddenly chopped down, and not eligible for this summers festivities in Pretoria.

Just thinkin'.......................

Be sure - Saturday's tale will be a horse of another feather.