PBP: USA at Trinidad and Tobago, Match Day, Final World Cup Hex Qualifier

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by deuteronomy, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Maxvall

Maxvall Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Lima
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Sorry USA, just like Chile you guys are gonna have to watch the WC on TV.

MK3owner repped this.
  2. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom

Wie ein Fuchs.

3. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Year one he was getting up to speed in Roma ... Year two in Roma he played quite a bit. Year three he played much less and cut a deal to,leave. He should have stayed and fought harder to earn time. LD is a totally different animal. His technical skills never dropped. He could also have done more overseas. But LD was not on the field last night and if so I bet he would have played with his hair on fire. I frankly question Bradley juniors commitment.

4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Imo, his best position is as an 8. Still, he did a solid job for the team this term.

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He chose the lineup and tactics. He set the tone.

juveeer, Beerking and jnielsen repped this.
  6. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Seeing the players' sad face I really couldn't blame them, this is a bad cycle overall, Klinsman should have been fired after the Gold Cup and a better coach than Bruce Arena should be the replacement.

jnielsen repped this.
  7. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether by injury or by design, no German-American stepped foot on that soggy pudding field. Not saying they should have.

We will reach a point where we tell the world how to play this game. I'll be dead by then.

8. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An unsurprising and sad response.

Can't accept being wrong, just like Arena.

9. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I've noticed is that those of us who do enjoy the international game and have context, and might not be all that high on our players are quickly dismissed by being labelled eurosnobs and europhiles.

It's a combination of an inferiority complex and arrogance. It's a weird combo.

We simply do not have a top 20-25 player pool. And if Pulisic were removed we'd be worried about qualifying next cycle too. Some people suggest MLS is good for young American attackers by arguing in favor of Dempsey back in 2007. Think about that. Think about the holes in the argument. It's insanity.

Statman, juveeer and russ repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thing is striking a balance. Evaluating players for what they show on the field, not where they ply their trade. Being honest about Gonzo sucking every other game, and JAB sucking in one out of three.

The future of the USA as a soccer nation is tied to the league though. No country can make it far without a professional league. So advocating for the reorganization of MLS or changing things around (pro/rel, for example) is fine.

But just dismissing the league as garbage is not constructive at all. It's just pointing the defects without offering solutions. If there are no solutions, then we should just pack it up and focus on a different sport.

Burr repped this.
  11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Our major tournament record these past 10 years would indicate our player pool is about 12th. Pulisic should never be needed to defeat the T&T B team.

Chesco United repped this.
  12. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have punched above our weight for years.We have never had enough talent to win on talent alone.Our team cohesion is our strength.
    This was a broken locker room.We need to find out how it broke.

Burr repped this.
  13. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Actually, Mexico too, except we bailed you out, and you couldn't return the favor. Oh, and yes, Memo Ochoa is crap.

14. hedur

hedur Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Excuses.

If you can't put the right players out there, with a solid game plan, and get your players to played their hearts out, you're doing a SHITE job as a coach.

Go watch the Panama and Hoduras games. Those guys played like the US teams did 10/14 years ago.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  16. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

How it broke? Lack of Accountability. Period

You got guys that played like crap games, after games, and yet they continued to start 90 minutes every game. You think those guys that didn't get called up or sat on the bench respected that? You think they happily go along with those shite players starting over them every single game?

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  17. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Yes, it's definitely beneficial to have a domestic league, but you're giving the MLS way too much credit.

We got to the WC in '86 and '90 without the MLS.

Name a career MLS lifer that is a top tier stud at the USMNT level, besides Donovan?

The best USMNT players plied their trades at the highest level of competition.

Pulisic - BL
    Yedlin - EPL
    Wood -BL
    Dempsey - EPL
    McBride - EPL
    Howard - EPL
    Jones - BL
    Beasley - Eredivis, Scotland
    Holden - EPL
    Friedel - EPL
    Keller - EPL
    Bocanegra - EPL, League 1
    Cherundolo - BL
    Bradley - BL, EPL, Serie A
    O'Brien - Eredvesi
    Reyna - BL, EPL

You can keep adding to this list as you wish.

Anyone that says we don't need "Euro Hotshots" to play for the UMSNT is a complete moronic arrogant.

juveeer and orcrist repped this.
  18. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We didn't get to WC in 1986. We really only qualified for 1990 because Mexico was automatically disqualified, and it took a miracle shot at that.

That said you're correct that MLS alone isn't even close to enough. And really only Spain and Germany can truly lean on their domestic leagues to provide the bulk of their talent. Brazil and Argentina can sprinkle a couple local guys here and there but they are supporting cast.

russ repped this.
  19. midfielder467

midfielder467 Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Club:
    Central Coast Mariners
    I am from Australia and we have in common Football not being one of the traditional mainstream codes despite being played since I think about 1880.

I feel for your lost and that the other results went against you as well ..... like who saw this coming...

Its difficult from afar as I know little of recent history of both teams... but what flawed me watching was how a tiny island were cricket is the main game beat the US.... I watched the game and hand on heart not the other thing and not trying to troll I did not see from any player or coach a moment went someone just got stuck in and dragged the team with them.... what I saw was an elephant scared of a snail....and thats not how US teams normally play .... US teams normally play with lots of heart quite physical but I saw none of that.

Coach well what can you say except look for the hanging tree ...

Sorry you missed out we have our final play off in November against the four team... so wish us luck....

Gotta say I have never seen a US team play like I saw in that game....

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  20. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beasley also played in the EPL for Man City and the Budesliga for Hannover.

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    We shouldn't need the Euro 'hotshots' to qualify from a Hex group of mainly MLS and lower level players.

This was a coaching failure(s).

jeff_adams repped this.
  22. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Thanks for chiming in and offer your perspective.

Yes, I don't think many would disagree that this group of players for the past several years no longer have the hearts and grits that the USMNT used to have.

It's one of the biggest contributors to our failures this cycle.

When you have a team and players without hearts, you can't expect to win much or go very far. The coach should take immediate actions long, long time ago. Bring in young players, those with hearts, fires, and inspiration to be great. to excel, and get to the next level. We need guys that are young and hungry to drive us forward.

Good luck on your playoff with Honduras. I am confident that you Aussies will have no problems beating them Hondurans.

23. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    LD had his ups and downs like everyone else. I recall an important Olympic qualification game down in Mexico (where Beasley was reported to have pissed on the playing field). Mexico smoked the US 4-0 and Donovan did squat. Failed to make the Olympics (and Donovan was a key member of the senior team at the time).

orcrist repped this.
  24. Pedro Rondon H de Sá

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jan 13, 2014
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Darlington Nagbe played very bad, he is overrated.

25. Pedro Rondon H de Sá

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jan 13, 2014
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you like to see usmnt playing next summer in the U.S. Cup against national teams that will not play the World Cup?