USA at RWC in France

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by the shelts, Oct 10, 2006.

1. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Well the qualifying game-disaster vs Canada was washed away with a victory over Uruguay to book a trip to the Rugby World Cup in France. Decided to book my tix and go to the site to get thing mapped out for the trip.

England, South Africa and Somoa are the three known teams we play, the only other team is Repachage 2 which looks like Tonga if I'm a betting man.

What a #*&^*-kicking we've got coming our way. England and South Africa will roll over us with ease. Somoa will be gunning for total points hoping to get the best third place team who didn't qualify and Tonga aren't exactly pushovers. Think I'll see some Canadian games too although if they are playing the Welsh and Australia I doubt I'll see many points for our Northern cousins.

I somehow doubt we will be adding to the two all time wins in Rugby World Cups. At least I can rest easy as the only country to score a try against the Aussies in 1999.

This could get ugly, any US fans going and wants to meet up in France we've got plenty of time to figure out where to cry in our beer.

2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  3. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    From article: USA Rugby is also considering formulating a Tri-Nations tournament involving Canada and Argentina and a cross-border competition similar to the Super 12s.

Tri-nations, that is a very good idea. I hope they could get this up and running soon. I would defiantly watch.

And good luck to Melville.

4. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    The head coach Peter Thorbun, DoR Nigel Melville, and Kevin Roberts as MD of USA Rugby.

That's the most competent leadership USA Rugby's ever had by a country mile, and is probably better leadership than several of the big unions possess (I'm looking at you Scotland and Wales).

5. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, do most Americans even know that we play Rugby Union, let alone actually compete in its World Cup?

6. Blitzwing

Blitzwing New Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Congrats to the US for making it, but they are a in a pretty tough group with England, South Africa and Samoa.

They need to get more players in Europe... Paul Emerick has been doing ok since he move to Newport and Mike Hercus is a solid player.

7. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Largely because it is never on television. If the World Cup was on over here would do wonders for the game.

8. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    World Cup was on sportschannel/prime in 1995, mostly live in fact. Didn't do much..

9. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "sportschannel/prime" :confused:

Sorry, never heard of that channel, I guess I meant of it was on ABC, CBS, NBC or FOX.

10. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not all of that World Cup, at least with the old Sportschannel. Don't know about Prime, but I would assume the same to be true with them.

The opening South Africa vs. Australia match (with Nelson Mandela inaugurating World Cup) might have been LIVE on Sportschannel. I remember watching it on delay on the same channel on a late Friday afternoon. I had come home early from work, was bored out of my wits flipping channels. I just happened to accidentally bump into this delayed telecast, and was literally glued. I had absolutely no knowledge about any rugby before that, and it was the first ever match I was watching.

Since I wasn't actively seeking or even aware of that event back then, I just don't know if it had actually been shown live the day before. I had been fed up of following 49ers and was looking for something different, something "more international" to follow. (Yes, this was back when 49ers actually didn't suck and used to routinely win SuperBowls.)

A lot of later round matches for that World Cup were on PPV. I know for a fact that the classic England vs. New Zealand semi-final was on PPV. Same with the other semi-final and the final. Possibly a lot more, but my memory is a bit hazy now.

But your basic conjecture is correct. People like me are exceptions. Even if it was on cheaper TV channels a lot more, it's not going to create new American fans overnight.

11. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your age (or rather your "youth") is showing.

12. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So...

No Rugby on TV for me?

13. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be on Setanta USA, I think. You have enough time between now and then to get your Setanta setup.

14. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't have satellite and cable provider isn't an option. :(

So...have to watch it online? Is resolution any good? For 12 bucks a month I hope so.

15. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    Soccer teams should take on rugby teams as tenants at their SSS.

16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy crap, I had forgotten about Prime...what a great station that was (Rugby, Aussie Rules, Premeir League, Serie A, FA Cup Final...).

And it looks like the US is in another Group of Death...this time in Rugby. We must find a virgin and sacrafice her to the Sports God. ;)

17. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US is always in a "group of death" since we aren't the powerhouse in rugby that the US is in soccer (forget last world cup).

Anyway, not to be negative, but the US will probably loose to England and South Africa, but the game against Samoa and possibly Tonga could be our best chance of winning. If it works out that Tonga joins our group, the Samoa/Tonga game could be like a Canada/US hockey game.

If anyone wants to see some of the games in France, I would think the US/Samoa game or US/TOnga wouyld be the games to see. I doubt the stadiums would be sold out and you could probably get tickets the day of the match. For the other two games, forget it unless you reserve them well in advance.

18. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would really be good, especially if the MLS uses it's resources and creates the MLR, Major League Rugby. That would rock!

19. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they did I'd like them to retain many of the clubs in the US Super Rugby League such as Old Blue, New York Athletic Club, Old Mission Beach Athletic Club or Boston Irish Wolfhounds Rugby Football Club. Like some built in tradition and definitely would love more funding to help push Rugby forward. Oh and one within driving distance would be nice :D

20. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I tried to buy tix for the Somoa vs USA game and its already sold out. WHat bad news for me.

As an aside one of the things thats always surprised me is why some big Somoans from American Somoa don't play rugby. I know guys like Junior Seau play football but we just need 2 or 3 to make a big difference.

21. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! Already sold out! I didn't think that would happen since there aren't many Samoans or Americans in France. Oh well, there's always Canal +.

22. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Exactly who'd have thought that Somoa vs USA would be popular. Oh well. Looks as if this retiree will clamber over a fence or just bull rush the gate and hope nobodies expecting a white hair'd hooligan.

I'm getting in if I have to rent a plane and parachute in.