US20's in Spain (R)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ripmstr, Aug 21, 2003.

1. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Odd that Whitbred and Simek weren't in the lineup.

2. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
  3. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    efe translation

"The Urugayan Selection, trained by Gustavo Ferrín, classified for the L'Alcudia final when they beat the United States in a competitive and exciting encounter.

Individual efforts of the "charrúa" selection proved to be the deciding factor in an equal match that saw the US impose its better physical condition at the end of the game and in many occasions almost secure the tie.

The Uruguayan Goal Keeper ruined clear chances from Alvarez and Dempsey. The best play from the Uruguayans was seen at the end of the first half and beginning of the second half, most notably led by the goal scorer Guerrerro and (his teammate) Fernandez, who left at the half and who authored the assist that led to the only goal of the game."

4. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Rongen really got a good look at alot of players. Should be interesting to see the players he picks.

5. big bonnie

big bonnie New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    sorry i didnt post this earlier but Heath went home early because he has the shingles.

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Thank you.

Between the shingles, a Liverpool player suddenly joining the team and playing his position and his coach tragically dying, it wasn't the best of weeks for Pearce.

7. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    I'll find out in a few days and write about it - but I wouldn't be surprised if Whitbred and Simek went back to their clubs after the third match. That gave Rongen time to look at them without taking them away from their teams for too long. Winning the tournament was never the point of this anyway.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    If this tournament allows Rongen to bring Whitbred to UAE and perhaps Karbassiyoon too then this tournament was a rousing success.

9. Fanof Twelve

Fanof Twelve New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Huntersville, NC
    I noticed that Whitbread was listed for the Reserve team at Liverpool to play against New Castle today. He probably did leave early.

10. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    US takes third place by beating Russia on penalties.
    (That's all the Efe report said.)

Capano was suspended for this one (multiple yellows), but the Cotif website says that he was our best player against Uruguay ... it's always nice to see a US playmaker win praise.

11. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He was on the bench and didn't get in the game as they lost 1-0.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N141622030829-0052.htm

12. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    A bit more on the third place game is available at the Cotif site. It was only a forty-minute encounter, and they describe it as the "most decaffeinated" match of the tourney. 0-0 in regulation, 5-3 on penalties to the US.

Simek did appear as a second-half sub...

2. Videira
    4. Marshall (min. 26 - 3. Simek)
    9. Alvarez
    11. Saavedra
    12. Moor
    13. Colon
    15. Johnson (min. 21 - 7. Lanni)
    17. Burch (min. 21 - 20. Karbassilyoon)
    18. Schuerman
    22. Phelan
    23. Dempsey

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    The good news is that a makeshift D only gave up 2 goals in five games. The bad news is that an even more makeshift O only scored 1.

Of course, if this weren't makeshift, than we could be concerned.

As I said earlier, if all that comes out of this tournament is Whitbread is now in the fold, it should be considered a success.

14. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    You're forgetting the 3-0 win against Egypt. Thus we scored 4 and allowed 2.

15. Long Live Maradona

Long Live Maradona New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    TX
    Clint Dempsey is being played way out of position at right mid. He's not terribly fast. He's about 6'3".
    He normally plays attacking mid or forward. He can dribble incredibly but usually passes. He can win any arial battle and can score with his head or feet. My opinion is that he should not be put in a position where he doesn't get a look at goal much. He created an awesome opportunity from right mid against Uraguay. I beleive he could have put one in if he were able play in a position that allows him to play around or in front of the oppositions goal more. He definately should make the cut for the World Championships in my opinion.

Just a few comments on my favorite player.

16. BillP

BillP Member

Jan 20, 1999
    Is your name Clint by any chance?

17. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    no, Mrs.Dempsey.

18. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    soccer moms who know who Maradona was are a rare entity.

19. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few notes in today's Glenn Davis column in the Houston Chronicle:

20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Reading the archives looking for someone else, wanted to highlight this post from a poster I can't seem to tag.

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Man, I really thought Zak Whitbread was gonna be a big deal for the US, didn't I?

22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    If him, Karbassiyoon and Dimi Colon had panned out, who knows what the last decade might've looked like!

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  23. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you just... bump a 15 year old thread?

24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Yes, I... did?

AutoPenalti repped this.
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    If we'd ranked the defenders on the team at the time, I wonder how much credit any of us would have given to Drew Moor.

I talk a lot about players from Texas. I probably don't talk enough about Dallas born-and-raised Drew Moor. Don't give him enough credit. Has had one helluva career.

I mean he's come close to the domestic soccer quintuple. In his locker he's already got the NCAA title, MLS Cup (twice; Colorado/TFC), Supporter's Shield, and Canadian Championship. All he's missed out on is the US Open Cup. He made the final twice with FC Dallas...…………...losing both in heartbreaking fashion. Still can't believe we lost in 2007 AT HOME on that frickin' Wells Thompson goal. Blech.

How about the trophy cabinet of the Dallas-born centerback combo of Drew Moor and Omar Gonzalez? At this point I'd start Reggie Cannon at right back over Moor :)