US20's in Spain (R)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ripmstr, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Any word on the US-Slovenia game?

2. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Checked the official site and it listed the game as being at 22:30 local time, so no result yet.

3. ripmstr

ripmstr New Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Orlando Fl
    What time is that for us in the east?

4. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure, either 3:30pm or 4:30pm, not sure what the offset is for Spain is.

5. collegesoccerfan#1

collegesoccerfan#1 New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    North Carolina
    Slovenia match time

Match will kick off at 10:30 PM local time, which is 4:30 PM EST.

6. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    USA advances to the semi-finals with a draw against Slovenia. We won the group, so we should face the second place team from the other group.

Yellow card: D Johnson

0. Estados Unidos: Williams, Videira (Capano, m.56), Marshall, Ianni, Saavedra, Moor, Colón, Whitbread, Johnson (Dempsey, m.40), Burch (Karbassiyoon, m.40) y Phelan.

0. Eslovenia: Ljubica, Domen, Ziga, Rok, Marko, Luka, Dragan (Alan, m.76), Duca (Jorvath, m.56), Brajic (Dzinic, m.51), Factor (Zecevic, m.80) y Prejac.

Arbitro: García Castillo (Colegio Valenciano).

Report in Spanish

http://www.efe.es/deportes/detalledisciplinas.asp?opcion=9&id=5282766

7. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: A little more detail on the USA v Egypt match [R]

Anybody know who "seleccion comarcal" might be?

8. Looks like though there were no goals, but both teams combined for no less than 5 balls off the woodwork, one Slovak, two from Moor and one each from Saavedra & Daniel.

Group B wraps up tomorrow. The likely group winner will be Uruguay and the Yanks' semi-final opponent Wednesday will be the Valencia select if they get a result, or the Ukraine .

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Rongen seems to be making up for lost time in terms of getting games with Whitbread. The guy has gone 90 in all three games!

I'm presuming he's playing leftback, based on the fact that none of the other backs who have started in Spain usually play left back, but, who knows.

Two shutouts in three games with a makeshift defense, an even more makeshift midfield and our No. 2 'keeper - I can live with that. (Even if it took some help from the woodwork to keep the clean sheet today.)

10. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Did Alvarez get injured? No PT in the 2nd and 3rd games seems odd unless he was injured or he was being held out by Rongen at Yallop's request who will need him healthy and fit for the remainder of the MLS season.

Definitely glad to see Whitbread, Simek and Karbassiyoon getting good PT. Just hope they keep developing and playing in England.

Marshall needs to be in MLS next season.

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Good question. Suffice to say, we aren't getting loads of info on this tournament from the USSF. In fact, if it weren't for davide and others tracking down the box scores, we'd be getting shutout altogether.

No reason to think they wouldn't keep developing and if they're developing, the PT will come. May not be first team PT, but they'll be getting games.

No doubt. But, based on some of his comments in the past, they better be prepared to make him a decent offer or risk losing him to Europe. I'm guessing he'll have some options abroad given all the exposure he's gotten with the youth national teams.

12. big bonnie

big bonnie New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    yes alvarez is hurt. Got this information from one of the players on the team.

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    bonnie, thanks for the info.

Has your source (given that you live in Connecticutt, I'm gonna guess your source is either Phelan or Scheurman) said anything about why Heath Pearce hasn't played yet? He's the only field player who hasn't gotten any minutes the first three games, assuming the reports we're getting are accurate.

Is he dinged up or is Rongen just trying to get Whitbread as much time at LB as possible, forcing Pearce to sit?

14. ripmstr

ripmstr New Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Orlando Fl
    Once again thanks for all the information.

15. Sammys

Sammys New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Virginia
    Sorry to hear Alvarez is hurt. You gotta figure he is one of the younger guys with a real good shot at making the U20 WC roster. Hope its nothing serious. Its great to see all the new guys getting looks eventhough it may just be because of mls/college committments.

16. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its interesting that both high schoolers (Phelan and Videira) seem to be getting significant playing time. One can only assume they are holding their own against what sounds like pretty high level competition. Any speculation about their future with this particular team ?

17. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Re: Re: A little more detail on the USA v Egypt match [R]

In the Spanish subtitles for Lord of the Rings, they used "Comarca" as the translation for "The Shire." So it's probably some sort of regional team.

(Based on their results, though, who knows? They might've fielded a team of hobbits.)

18. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phelan can play leftback as well.

My guess at the line-up and back four...

vs. Slovakia (4-4-2, right to left): Williams - Moor, Marshall, Whitbread, Phelan - D. Johnson, Ianni, Saavedra, Videira - Burch, Colon.

Here are the other possible starting line-ups...

vs. Egypt (4-4-2): Williams - Moor, Simek, Marshall, Whitbread - Dempsey, Capano, Johnson, Alvarez - Burch, Karbassiyoon.

vs. Russia (4-4-2): Williams - Moor, Simek, Marshall, Whitbread - Johnson, Capano, Colon, Dempsey - Burch, Karbassiyoon.

19. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    perhaps PNE - but I'd guess Phelan played in the middle for that match. The need for this team is at left back so Rongen will want to know if he's got a starter there. He knows who his starting center backs are (not saying Whitbred couldn't displace Cochrane - just that the need is greater out left).

re the Hobbit thing, i hear Merry Brandybuck gets stuck in like nobody's business, and Peregrin Took can cross it better than Figo. Watch out for THAT team.

20. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree - though, not about the Hobbit thing.

Phelan can play in the middle - this is what we agree on. Drew Moor can also play centrally, but I doubt he has on this trip (or ever for the U20s). Frank Simek can play on the right.

The midfield/attack - for this squad - is pretty fluid too.

I'm sure it wouldn't be out of the question for Colon, Alvarez, Johnson, Vidiera, Karbassiyoon, and Dempsey to be playing a number of positions (I'm more on the doubtful side of this theory). Most are suited for a particular area of the attack, but I could see these six out wide in midfield, as an attacking or holding midfielder, or as a withdrawn forward.

Versatility is a wonderful thing.

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Just want to point out that according the tournament's official site, Adam Schuerman started the Slovenia game.

http://www.cotifalcudia.com/indexframes.htm

FICHA TÉCNICA.

Alineaciones:
    EEUU
    18. Schuerman
    2. Videira (min 55 – 10. Capano)
    4. Marshall
    7. Lanni
    11. Saavedra
    12. Moor
    13. Colon
    14. Whitbread
    15. Johnson (min 40 – 23. Dempsey)
    17. Burch (min 40 – 20. Karbassiyoon)
    22. Phelan

I'm guessing they're playing 80 minute games given that Rongen made two subs at the 40 minute mark and has yet to make any subs after 80 minutes.
    Anyone know when we can expect a result from the Valencia-Uruguay match?

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I would guess that they don't have much of a future with this U20 team. There are just too many older and more experienced and more developed players ahead of them.

However, I think these guys will be locks for the next U20 cycle (85-86 + Freddy) and this experience will only benefit them, as well as Capano, Ianni and Alvarez, come January or whenever the next U20s have their first camp, and beyond.

From this roster that's in Spain, here's how I see the players chances to make the 20-man roster that goes to UAE (barring injury:

Locks: Chad Marshall, David Johnson, Frank Simek, Ford Williams, Zak Whitbread

Probable: Drew Moor, Arturo Alvarez

Maybe: Heath Pearce, Craig Capano, Clint Dempsey, Marc Burch, Danny Karbassiyoon

Doubtful: Pat Ianni, Miguel Saavedra, Pat Phelan, Dimi Colon, Mike Videira, Adam Schuerman

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Granted, I know nothing about the quality of opposition but I think it's pretty good that we make at least the semis of this tournament without so many of our top players.

23. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad they don't have a decent center forward to get on the end of those crosses. I hear their goalkeeping is pretty abysmal too.

24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Uruguay beat Valencia 3-1 last night to take second place in Group B. So the US will play Uruguay tonight at 8:00 PM local time. (That's either 2 or 3 pm EST)

In the semis of this event a year ago, the US beat Uruguay 3-1.

In the other semi, Ukraine will face Russia. Nothin' like some political tension in an otherwise meaningless U20 friendly tournament!

25. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000