US20's in Spain (R)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ripmstr, Aug 21, 2003.

1. ripmstr

ripmstr New Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Orlando Fl
    US20 vs Eqypt [R]

Anybody have any idea on a game time, score, match report?

The usuals.

2. collegesoccerfan#1

collegesoccerfan#1 New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    North Carolina
  3. ripmstr

ripmstr New Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Orlando Fl
    Thanks.

I realize Freddy isn't involved but most of these players are closer to becoming full nats than their U17 brethren.

Didn't they scrimmage two days ago? Any information?

4. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US20 vs Eqypt [R]

Normally this type of thing is the bread and butter of this forum. Its been pretty flooded in here with the Freddy hype of late though.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm curious to see how Zach Whitbread gets used and the combinations he used in.

I'm guessing that Rongen will try him at both center and left back and that when he plays in the middle he'll partner with both Chad Marshall and Frank Simek to see how it goes.

I also think Simek will see some time at right back, as will Drew Moor.

I'm also curious to see where he plays Arturo Alvarez and David Johnson. With Bobby Convey likely not going to the UAE now, he needs more options in the middle and these guys could fill that spot. And, with Devin Barclay out for the rest of the MLS season, he suddenly needs someone to play right mid, though that will likely fall to Santino Quaranta.

Up front, Danny Karbassiyoon will likely need to play really well to seriously jump into the fray for an attacking spot. Not impossible but I'd say he's still a long shot.

6. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US20 vs Eqypt [R]

I shudder to think that Devin Barclay was the best right mid in the U-20 pool. Why can we find so many solid options at left mid yet be so shallow on the right? One of the mysteries of US soccer I guess.

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Re: US20 vs Eqypt [R]

Indeed.

I had heard great things about John DiRaimando of the 17s but through three games in Finland he really hasn't impressed at right mid.

8. E. & P.

E. & P. New Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Is there any thought to move Karbassiyoon to right mid? He's got blazing speed and some skill, adn we're comparatively stacked at forward.

9. ripmstr

ripmstr New Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Orlando Fl
    If the game sarted at 2:00e, it should be over by now.

Any info would be great!

10. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I checked ussoccer.com for the U20 team and came up with this gem:

Future Events: Training Camp (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. – Feb. 19-27); VII Madeira Tournament (Portugal – March 3-7); 2003 FIFA World Youth Championship (United Arab Emirates – March 25-April 16)

WTH! Have they updated this page since February???

11. ripmstr

ripmstr New Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Orlando Fl
    They get no lve from their own Federation. ; )

12. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    USA 3 - Egypt 0

Goals:
    1-0 Burch 40m
    2-0 own goal 42m
    3-0 Saavedra 80m

Yellow Card:
    Capano

Lineups:

3. Estados Unidos: Williams, Simek, Marshall, Alvarez (Phelan, m.77), Capano, Moor, Whitbread, David Johnson, Burch (Videira, m.70), Karbassiyoon (Saavedra, m.54), Dempsey (Ianni, m.77),

0. Egipto: Soliman, Abdo, Sabek, Galal, Zalama, Samir, Said, Saad (Ismaeil, m.63), Karim, Aly (Ossama, m.77), El Sayd.

Report in Spanish
    http://www.efe.es/deportes/detallenoticia.asp?opcion=9&id=5270799

Not many chances were created by either team, but we capitalized on their mistakes.

Nice Start!

13. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: USA 3 - Egypt 0

Anybody want to guess how they lined up?

The line-up suggests 4-4-2 to me.

From right to left...

Williams - Moor, Simek, Marshall, Whitbred - Johnson, Capano, Karbassiyoon, Alvarez - Burch, Dempsey.

That is a big back line. Moor 6-0, 170. Simek 6-0, 175. Marshall 6-3, 185. Whitbred 6-3, 180.

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Re: Re: USA 3 - Egypt 0

I'm guessing this is pretty close, but...

Dempsey plays right mid at Furman and has been their with the 20s. I'm guessing that's where he played today, with DannyK or Alvarez playing up top.

Yes, it is. Imagine matriculating these guys to the 23s, where 6-0 Ricky Lewis is "the short back"!

Jose Burciaga is 6-1, Kelly Gray 6-2, Alex Yi 6-3 and Oguchi Onyewu 6-4. (Of course, Phil Salyer and Chris Wingert are 5-10.) Mooch has some serious size to pick from for his backs.

As I said earlier, I would expect we'll see Heath Pearce (6-0) some at left back here with Whitbread playing centrally. I also think we'll see Simek tried at right back.

Back to the forwards, nice to see Burch get a goal. For all my whining about Big Game George using 84s on the 18s, he deserves credit for bringing this guy into the national team program. I doubt he'll be able to crack the roster for the UAE but this experience will help make him a better player and identify him as one for MLS to watch.

Finally, thanks to davide for finding and posting the box score.

15. collegesoccerfan#1

collegesoccerfan#1 New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    North Carolina
    A little more detail on the USA v Egypt match [R]

Here's the link:

COTIF Torneo Internacional

Here's the Spanish text for the US match vs Egypt:

21-08-03 Estados Unidos debuta con victoria ante Egipto

Mod's note: Please don't post full text from articles. Just links. Thanks.

Here's the Google translation of the above ... still needs more polishing, but you can get a little better idea if you're not fluent in Spanish :)

21-08-03 the United States makes debut with victory before Egypt
    Cotif 2003 has begun its walking. The first encounter faced the runner-up of the last edition, the U.S.A., and to newcomer a competition, the national combined one of Egypt.
    The party began a little cold, both sets were respected during first half. In the first compasses of the encounter the one was the African set that took the initiative with more force than head, although its approaches to the rival area were based on fast exits and long balls without hardly danger for the guardameta Ford. On the other hand, the American set tried to create danger through a more precise touch of ball, but that it did not have culmination at the moment of arrival to portería opposite.
    Therefore, the first part was very igualda, only in the time of discount it undid the balance of game and result. A lack in the center of the field pumped Alvarez to the area and after several you reject Burch was able to at heart lodge the ball of portería. He was the first one as much of COTIF 2003.
    Second half began just as it finished first. Without hardly time so that both equipment was based on the game land the combined second from of the United States in minute 2 arrived as much. Ball in depth, the last defense of Egypt is not understood with its guardameta and an express Johnson is anticipated to establish 2-0.
    As of this moment, the North American equipment played much more comfortable. It even could later increase to his rent two minutes with two consecutive occasions. Little by little, the party was decaying since Egypt did not seem able to overcome the result. Both trainers took advantage of to give the opportunity to the substitute players to make debut in the edition of this year of the COTIF. In the last years of the party the last one arrived as much. In this occasion he was one of the refreshment players, Saavedra, that finished off of head the 3-0 within the small area. After the first encounter of competition the fans to soccer already could enjoy the first three goals of the match.

Goals: 1-0: Burch solves a racket within the area.
    2-0: Doorman and defense of Egypt are not understood and Johnson takes advantage of to mark med Aly and Said.
    3-0: Saavedra ends of head within the small area.

Referee: Brown Bernal. Attended in the bands by: Fadón Arevalo and Bald Ros.
    It admonished to the player of Egypt Ismael Amhed (min. 23).

16. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Re: A little more detail on the USA v Egypt match [R]

17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    "The last defense of Egypt is not understood with its guardameta."

Very true. And it reminds me of something some of you may remember Sunholz saying about the U-20s last time around:

"For this, we must have more cuidado."

Anyone else remember this one?

18. ripmstr

ripmstr New Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Orlando Fl
    Thanks for the updates.

19. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was that Miguel Saavedra I saw in the lineup? I thought he had fallen off the face of the earth. Anyone know where he's playing his club ball?

20. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Yep that was him. He's working on a deal in Mexico according to TDS.

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/NationalTeams/20030814191040/view

21. Long Live Maradona

Long Live Maradona New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    TX
    Clint Dempsey: New Striker for U.S. U-20's

Has anyone heard of him? I've seen him play against Stanford with his school Furman and against Canada with the United States U-20's. He scored beautiful goals in both games. His size makes you think he can't move well,but he is very quick and has very impressive ballskills. Fans love him. He makes soccer fun to watch. He usually knows where to pass before he gets the ball and will put the ball in your goal when your expecting a pass. He likes to pull a meg or three for the fans. We will hear more from him soon I hope. Any body else seen him?

22. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Russia - USA (R)

The final score 1-1.

Goles:
    0-1. M.13: Johnson, de penalti.
    1-1. M.50: Shevshenko

Yellows for USA: Capano, Colon

1. Rusia: Sulimanov, Minibaev, Baranov, Maslov (Volskhov, 46), Gukov (Trifimov, m.31), Shevshenko, Dolmaton (Nikita, m.67), Diniar, Shavaev, Malukov, Gilmulin.

1. Estados Unidos: Williams, Simek, Marshall, Capano, Moor, Colon (Saavedra, m.58), Whitbread, Johnson, Burch, Karbassiyoon, Dempsey

A fair result according to the report in Spanish.

http://www.efe.es/deportes/detalledisciplinas.asp?opcion=9&id=5276775

23. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Re: Russia - USA (R)

More encouraging is the headline, which says it was a great game (the first game sounded like a snoozer). Apparently, the US controlled the first half, but the Russians dominated the midfield in the second.

In the first game, Russia beat Slovenia by one goal, so this result leaves the US in good position to reach the final on goal difference.

24. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Another article up on the tournament site. The US goal was a penalty taken up the middle by David Johnson. Marc Burch was the player who drew the call. (Their overall assessment is that Russia was unlucky not to win.)

http://www.cotifalcudia.com/indexframes.htm

Also, Egypt beat Slovenia 2-1, so here's how we stand

USA W 1, D 1; GF-4 GA-1
    Russia W 1, D 1; GF-3 GA-2
    Egypt W 1, L 1; GF-2 GA-4
    Slovenia L 2; GF-2 GA-4

Our game on Monday follows Russia-Egypt, so from the kickoff, we'll know exactly the result we need against Slovenia.