US women soccer players want equal pay to US men's team.

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by SUDano, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    its unavoidable the debate over pay/earned/identity etc is all part of the puzzle.

the role of the ussf is to foster the growth of the sport in the us.

the first question should be...is part of that 'growth' making a hand full of a men/women millionaires? should players instead keep off of their rights and be allowed to sell whatever/whenever and in turn not get anymore then pennies from the ussf. should the revenue for games/tournaments go to those players specifically or be split among other groups i.e. ynt and men/women full nt groups.

should national team players get anything more then a hefty stipend with each match they play in? should the national teams be paid like they are a separate team or should in be a opportunity to play for the national teams and just allow players to cash in accordingly.

2. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    child support

3. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    What time period do you have in mind? I'm thinking from ancient Greece/Rome to now, how about you?

Violent crime tends to be judged more severely than non-violent crime, and as you say below, men generally commit more violent crimes.

Please pass along a link to the CDC study you're quoting. And the study below...

Where do you get the idea that there were twice as many women "back then" (whenever then was)? Have you ever checked on what the death rate from childbirth was before modern medicine? And why would you think that women were safer in any other way "back then"?

History of women's right to own property in the US, says Wikipedia -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Married_Women's_Property_Acts_in_the_United_States

There's a nice book just that came out, https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1419729071/ref=nosim/0sil8, that you should read.
    I'm not sure that much of it is new news tho', it's been known for decades that drugs aren't tested on women, that cars aren't designed for women. The news that pregnant women sit too close to the airbags in their cars came out when I was pregnant with my younger child and he's 22 yo now.

Glad we finally agree, what was all the other stuff you said then?

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y’all, this thread is going to get closed if we keep talking about abortion and sentencing.

Paul Berry and sitruc repped this.
  5. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    63% longer sentences and twice as likely to go to jail for SAME CRIME AND PRIORS. That's whatever type of crime, including violent.

You are in a cult. I see that perpetually, any time I relay that stat, and somebody still finds a way to rationalize it to maintain that enormous advantage of lack of accountability/consideration. How do you even have an honest discourse with a person like that. You don't. You should have said thanks for the enlightenment or you could have at least said that's just one area. You being in denial about it is really telling because it's a powerful argument modern feminism is bunk.

So I'm not going to waste any more time and energy on you going point by point if you ignore facts, and you ignored many of my other points. Some people are just tfg - too far gone. It doesn't matter how much evidence and logic you provide them they'll just circle back to their ideology out of narcissism.

6. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You two just need to get a room. This kind of stuff is only talked about absolutely everywhere and by everyone. It doesn't have to be in this thread.

7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was brought up by her. I'm not obligated to let it go, especially with the social science on my side. And it seems like a pertinent place for the discussion when it's another false accusation of discrimination trying to capitalize on the political climate.

You can't realistically avoid politics wherever you go because it intertwines almost every aspect of our lives. Here you could just move on to the next post though if you're so inclined to try.

TOAzer and Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  8. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Did I mention how insufferable you Duke fans are this time of year?

TOAzer repped this.
  9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a Duke fan. Just a Duke. Us royalty can be insufferable in our pomposity. But in the case I was just delivering the hard truth, which is always going to be insufferable to some. Still, somebody has to do it. Wish I didn't have to do the dirty work and could just sip wine from my chalice, but it appears the messenger was off in the latrine doing his own dirty work. So hey, don't shoot this messenger.

10. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I last saw this thread, it was all a'fire as to inequities in pay arising from inequities in revenues derived and other scintillating hypo-capital pseudo-investment quasi-social inter-medium babble-blather..... I come back to a scene from The Game of Thrones.... what happened? ;)

11. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I was talking about Duke basketball. superdave is a titanic fan.

12. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, Superdave is more a fan of the Iceberg.....;)

puttputtfc repped this.
  13. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So he's a North Carolina fan?

superdave repped this.
  14. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Shorter -- ask for basis of your quoted statistics, and you stomp off in a huff.

15. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    CNN Headline: The US Women's National Team scored more World Cup goals in one day than the men did in the 2006, 2010 and 2014 World Cups combined
    If you tuned into the Men's World Cup in 2018, or 2014, or 2010, or 2006, but aren't turned into this year's Women's World Cup, it's time to reconsider.
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/11/sport/world-cup-us-thirteen-goals-trnd/index.html?no-st=1560342229
    Their Conclusion:
    And yet, they still don't get paid as much as the men? Hmm.

Wow the level of public shaming of the men to get paid more as a misleading public negotiating tactic is bizarre. Now we should pay them based on goals scored vs a team of tiny untrained haphazardly put together team from Thailand.

majspike and adam tash repped this.
  16. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the us u20s would score more than 13 on thailand lol

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also scored more than England did at the 2006, 2010 and 2014 World Cups combined. Should Alex Morgan get paid more than Wayne Rooney?

18. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I'm guessing that's an asshole opinion piece and not the editorial position of CNN.

19. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's facile clickbait "web content."

Timon19 repped this.
  20. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't seem to realize the scoreline simultaneously undermines the notion of the women's game being as worthy as the men's.

If they wanted to prove it was just as competitive as the men's game they probably should've sandbagged it a bit.

superdave repped this.
  21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That headline has as much credibility as me saying I have scored more Goals on Xbox in the World Cup than both the US Men and women's teams combined.

majspike and Mantis Toboggan M.D. repped this.
  22. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those lines are blurred more and more in contemporary media.

23. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    I led Boston College to 4 consecutive national championships in dynasty mode in NCAA Football 07. I demand to be paid accordingly. EQUALITY!!

akattack, CyphaPSU and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  24. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can anyone put together the amount of revenue generated by year from 2010 to 2019? I honestly tried but I am very confused.

25. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I'm really curious about the why in this issue, as in why are people so worried about the women getting a few more bucks? The fed has a healthy bank account and the men already make plenty of money, they will not be neglected or sent to the poor house. It's like when people get pissed because someone else has a good job and instead of thinking they should have a good job too, they want to see the other person lose theirs.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.