US women soccer players want equal pay to US men's team.

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by SUDano, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what's impressive to me is the likes of Carli Lloyd and Abby Morgan mentioning the great benefits of the big clubs they signed for. Are they really getting that much more $$$ or are they just impressed by the facilities/ambition of the clubs. Because I def see PSG as a super-club (i imagine if they had a bowling team it'd be more impress than anyone else due to the funding). Of course the French league is among the top 5 in the world but not so sure if this $$$ trickles down to 90% of the clubs in the league.

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Excellent point.

Do you know how much title winners get for the women's league in England/Germany/France and their Champions League?

3. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
  4. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the women, no I have no idea no do I think the $ is the incentive or that its much. What I was really getting at is that for European soccer, male and female, its not a level playing field. For men, the Champions League is the real prize. The financial windfall for winning pales into comparison to the prestige, plus the male players are already fabulously wealthy.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salaries for top players in Europe get into the 6 digits easy. Here the salary is something like $150K ish. Add in bonuses and sponsorships and it balloons rapidly.

Of course money like that is only available to the USWNT here.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Though for our top stars they are in the high 6 figures due to NT compensation right? And perhaps more with endoresements?

I do wonder then how much endorsements do players like Caroline Seger or Lotta Schelin or Marta or Anja Mittag or Ada Hegerberg making from that.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The court of public opinion is as irrelevant when they lose at home as it was when they were newly minted World Cup champions. I don't understand why people think it matters. It doesn't.

8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would be surprised. Judges are often swayed by public sentiment. They shouldn't be, but they are.

9. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once you add in bonuses they can make some serious bank but base isnt that high. Endorsements are where its really at for them.

10. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty certain that the highest paid US pro soccer players are women. There was a post a while back in this thread. I think the highest-paid MNT player was like Clint Dempsey, in 6th place.

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    wait are we judging by endorsements or simply overall pay via the NT or their respective leagues?

12. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Total, including endorsements. The WNT players especially, make a lot of money through endorsements. The Men make some money as well, but not as much.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I am very shocked to hear this

14. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's like 20 pages in, but yeah. Alex Morgan, Sydney Leroux, etc. The faces of the WNT make a lot of money. Go take a look. It's been discussed here before.

WrmBrnr repped this.
  15. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously?

WrmBrnr repped this.
  16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    yes indeed. I've no clue what they earn on endorsements. but I can't imagine they are earning in the realm of what Bradley or Dempsey are bringing home.

17. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only male player endorsement I've seen is Dempsey for Lexus. I see Morgan and Press endorsing beauty products among other things that just aren't available to the men.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I know Solo and Morgan have a few but I didn't think it was in the seven figure range

19. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Doesn't surprise me at all that the top 5-6 or so are women, but I'd bet the next 50 are men

Burr and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Clint Dempsey's salary is $4.6 million, Jozy Altidore is $4.8, Michael Bradley's is $6.5. There is no way Total compensation by the women's endorsement deals are this high. Alex Morgan makes close to $3million in endorsements.
    http://heavy.com/sports/2015/07/ale...sements-contract-highest-paid-soccer-players/

21. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    WrmBrnr and Gamecock14 repped this.
  22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
  23. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    No they aren't but he said Total in response to someone who included overall salary. If we're talking about just USSF compensation a few women lead the list, if we include endorsements women still lead the list, if we include all compensation including team salary men lead the list.

Burr repped this.
  24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Labor negotiators aren't. How do you think baseball players won all those damn strikes?

25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They won because they have more bargaining power.