US WNT vs. China in Atlanta 10/2/2010

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kbritt1967, Aug 24, 2010.

1. kbritt1967

kbritt1967 Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. chinadaiyi

chinadaiyi Member

Sep 11, 2008
    China
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Re: US WNT vs. China in Atlanta 10/8/2010

i got this coming matches??

U.S. Women

vs. China PR Women
    KSU Soccer Stadium; Kennesaw, Ga.
    Oct. 2, 2010 @ 6 p.m. ET

U.S. Women

vs. China PR Women
    PPL Park; Chester, Pa.
    Oct. 6, 2010 @ 7 p.m. ET
    Live on ESPN2

.....some difference??

earlier match.
    Sep.30. Tornoto 19:30
    Canada vs China .

3. chinadaiyi

chinadaiyi Member

Sep 11, 2008
    China
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

a new Chinese team...and a new coacj-Li Xiaopeng. a member of the China mnt participated the 2002 wc.

because of the back injuried,Han duan will miss this journey and also the coming Asian Games..

4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Prelim Roster released

From my very quick skimming & brief first impressions: Loyden is lucky--she's not been USWNT quality this season. Tarpley's back. No Chalu (seriously, wtf is the deal. will someone just come out and tell us). 2 collegians called up as forwards. And Lohman? Really? And what about Lloyd's 2 yellows in 2 games makes anyone think she's ready? And Heath? Really? Is she healthy?

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Aww, hell. I just read the roster again. The biggest wtf goes to calling up Huffman. Really, Pia?

eta: and while I like the call up of Kreiger, I wonder how much time her club will allow her to miss. The camp starts Sept 20 and Frankfurt have league games the 19th, 26th, Oct 3, and Oct 10.

6. AtlBeaterteacher

AtlBeaterteacher New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Kennesaw
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I asked Tobin about a possible Call up the other night. She sounds mentally ready for it. She has been rehabbing like crazy. Guess this is Pia's way to find out if she is ready not only mentally, but physically.

With you all the way with Chalu- she has been playing well even when Pia was watching the Beat v Breaker match the other night. Have not formed an opinion on Lohman's play of late. I think the Carli call up is to see if she is really ready as well. The jury is still out on Loyden for me. But am glad Alyssa got the call up=-she had wickedly good game while Pia was in the ATL the other night-no surprise there.

7. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am not a Lloyd fan, seems like a waste to call her up after about 40 minutes of time since returning. I would take Chalupny anytime over her, even if Lloyd is fully healthy.
    Loyden is sketchy as well, and I agree, why push Heath at this point?

I have no issue with Huffman, she has been playing well and adds an edge that may be needed. I don't think she will make it, but think she earned a look, however brief.

I am happy for Naeher, but think this is a just the token next step after her work with the U20s and her late season form with Boston, but she isn't ready for the big stage yet. But might be in a year.

Did I mention I am not a Lloyd fan?

8. AtlBeaterteacher

AtlBeaterteacher New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Kennesaw
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am not seeing Tash Kai on the list. Any thoughts on this? She looked good Sunday. Is Pia just giving some other raw talent an look?

9. kittenbiscuits

kittenbiscuits New Member

May 8, 2010
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, Huffman looked lost in the Sweden friendlies. And i feel like her playing has not really improved that much. She was hot at the beginning of the season though. Since then it just seems she's playing a lot of chase.

I hope they let Krieger off. Its nice having some speed on the flank. but if Mitts is recovered I wonder how much play she'll actually get.

10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Huffman's had her look and didn't measure up. And (imo) she's gotten worse as the season has progressed--she's one step away from just being a hack. I'd take Lohman over her and I think Lohman's USWNT time has passed. Hell, I'd take Lloyd over Huffman and I've made no secret about my views on Carli.

This season Mitts has been too injury prone for me to be at all positive about her long term prospects. I don't think Krieger is needed for the whole camp--it would be a waste as she's getting quality pt. And I think she'd get the ok from Frankfurt to travel for the 2 games.

So, Schnur. Am I the only one that says "no thank you?"

Nice to see Taylor & Engen getting looks. They both have done well in their rookie season. Same w/ Naeher.

11. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm just glad Engen is getting a look again. She may not have the international experience yet.. but her distribution from the back is world-class.

12. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think you're jumping the gun on "world-class distribution" I'm a fan of Engen. I think she does a lot of things well and has earned a camp look w/ her play this season. But world-class? Not so much.

I hope to see Engen & Taylor both get some solid chances to show their stuff. I think both are better than Schnur (not even close--and even at left back, which I don't think Engen excelled at this season). But that still leaves 6 other defenders ahead of them both. And Pia tends to play her defenders all 90 in important tournaments.

And it seems O'Hara has been slotted in as a midfielder rather than a forward. Perhaps predictable given she's played on the wing in FCGP's 433 but I thought she'd get some chances up top.

13. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think some of you need to give Pia a break here. These are call ups and not the final 18/20 players. I do find some of the decisions puzzling but I only think there are a few players that are not going that probably deserve a look.
    Just on my hometown team, Allison Falk is one of the best center backs in the U.S. IMO and probably has earned a look with her play. And I would take Tina DiMartino over either Lindsey or Lohman. Lindsey has looked old and slow in the second half of the year and Lohman is kind of a retread that has just looked good in Paul Riley's system. DiMartino has shown tremendous creativity coming down the wing but I think her height (only 5-2) seems to prevent her from getting long looks with USWNT. I think coaches feel like she might get pushed around too much but she has been one of the top players for the Indy over the past month and I would take her over her two Indy teammates and Huffman.
    As for Carli Lloyd, I know from past posts that some of you dislike her because of how she played in one season in Chicago. But the fact is she is the top attacking midfielder on USWNT when healthy and a starter whenever she's been fit enough to play. She scored the game winning goal in the 2008 Olympics and all of that earns her an opportunity to at least compete for a spot in the final squad. If she's not ready, Pia won't take her but there is no superstar attacking MF who didn't make the cut IMO. Same goes for Tobin. She's earned the right to compete.
    I am glad Pia moved away from some of the players who are clearly aging and not playing at their former level like Markgraf and Kai (though I would also put Lilly in that club as well) and has given a shot to WPS rookies like Engen and Taylor. Would have liked to see Becky Edwards get a shot but they already have Boxx and Averbuch for holding MF.
    At forward, I think Ella Masar would be a nice fit but she just had a surgery and Pia is high on Alex Morgan (who played in friendlies earlier this year). Leroux was the star for the US U20 a few months ago so why not take a look at her.
    As for the keepers, again I think some posters are making too much about Loyden's play during one season. She is clearly one of the top four keepers in the US and she will face a challenge for her spot on the final roster from Naeher.

14. kbritt1967

kbritt1967 Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Carli played 15 minutes each in two games & got two yellow cards. 'nough said...

As for Kai, she has excelled on the WNT as a super sub & I don't think she's aged out of that roll just yet. Would love to see her back on the WNT!

15. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wasn't a Carli fan pre-WPS, nothing to do with CRS. Right place right time in Olympics, wasn't having a good game up to that point. Agree about DiMartino deserving a spot. Don't see her getting too beat up.
    Would have hoped Osborne would have gotten another look if not for the injury, she was lights out in July, back to form and beyond.

16. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To me, she has looked better than players like LePeilbet and Buehler. At least distribution wise. LePeilbet and Buehler are not nearly as good as distributing the ball (whether its headers, switching the field, etc) as Markgraf and Rampone used to be. And, to me, the closest the US player pool has to that type of distribution from the back is Engen. In the Germany game back in May, LePeilbet and Buehler worried me a lot because of their errant give-aways when they would try and go long. Good thing Solo was spot-on that day or it could've been a German rout.

17. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

kbritt1967, the fact that Lloyd got a few cards in her first game action in six months does not mean she should not have an opportunity to compete for a spot on this roster. That's just a silly argument. I just think certain posters just won't give Lloyd credit for the excellent international career — been a key member of USWNT since 2005, 2007 Algarve Cup MVP, the Olympics) she has had and that has earned her the right to at least compete for a job. Socfandan, you are right about Osbourne and I also think Angeli with your Breakers should get some consideration for USWNT in the future.
    I probably should not have lumped Kai in with Markgraf and Lilly as an aging player being that she's only 27. She might be a good option off the bench but I think the larger point is that Pia knows what she has in Kai and wants to possibly see Morgan and/or Leroux in practices and games to determine if they can help next year in the World Cup or the 2012 Olympics.

18. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You're right that LePeilbet (and I'm a fan of hers) is good for at least one really bone-headed giveaway out of the back and usually on a ball on the ground that she's trying to thread through but gives right to the attacker.

I'm just one of those people that thinks the adjective "world-class" gets thrown around too frequently on these boards. Being a solid international doesn't automatically make one a world-class player. I think we're in agreement that Engen has had a very good rookie year and definitely earned her camp call. I hope she and Taylor are both able to earn time in the 2 games.

As for Loyden, philafan, have you watched her this season? She's not been anywhere close to international level and definitely not top 4 American keepers. For instance, I think Henderson has looked significantly better than Loyden but she has the misfortune to (once again) be on the same team as LeBlanc.

19. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002

A world-class comment. Seriously, I completely agree re LePeilbet, and I'm a fan of hers, too. She's fun to watch, but every once in a while...cringe. Not unlike a young Sobrero, or the occasional older Markgraf, come to think of it.

20. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes Kool Aide I have seen Loyden play this year and she been just as shaky and disorganized as the Chicago team in general. I also saw her play exceptionally well in 2009 for St. Louis when she filled in for Solo and in college at Villanova. I think her entire body of work, and not just one year with Chicago, earns her a right to compete for a job.
    And yes, I still think she is in the top four US keepers. Right now its Solo and Barnhart as the top two and Loyden had earned her way as the #3 with her play leading up to this season. If Naeher is better at the camp, she'll move past her in the pecking order but Loyden deserves the invite. As for Val Henderson, as an Independence fan, I like her more than LeBlanc but she's had some real shaky moments as well and is not as athletic as Loyden in my opinion. Ashlyn Harris and Kelsey Davis could work their way into the picture but they are not at that level yet. So by the mere process of elimination, I'd say she's top four.

21. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009

has to do with abby if i was to guess

22. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010

we're still making this joke? I guess it never gets old. ;)

I puzzled over many of the same things that everyone here has mentioned about the roster, but overall, it seems more well-rounded than the past couple of rosters - the midfield and defense in particular. Though I suppose if you take out the players not yet returned to form, it's a bit thinner.

I'm in the "wtf Schnur and Huffman" camps, as well as the "bring in DiMartino and Osborne (when fit...)" camps. If you're going to call in a midfielder from Philly besides Lindsey, I think Tina is a better player overall than Lohman and has been capped more recently, though both have done well this season. So this call-up isn't completely out of the blue.

Overall I am excited about the potential rosters and hope Pia is not afraid to try new combinations/formations. And for god's sake Pia, please play two forwards other than Abby for AT LEAST one of the matches. :rolleyes:

23. kittenbiscuits

kittenbiscuits New Member

May 8, 2010
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

WHOA WHOA lets not get crazy now!

Perhaps one of the stats guys can tell me. Has Pia taken Abby out of a game ever (barring injury) or had her not play when available?

24. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007

Its hard to catch a break when you are the WNT coach! We are a tough crowd, aren't we?

I, for one, have been critical about wanting to see more experiments in camp and more (relatively) inexperienced players getting playing/development time in meaningless friendlies. Maybe I should be more careful what I wish for? I say this group is fine. Lets see how it shakes out in the final roster. I hope we see some new faces on the pitch come game day.

Whit Engen, world class? I dunno. I'm on record as saying she was my pick for the 2009 Mac-Hermann player of the year. I have not had reason to regret that opinion. I think she is having an awesome WPS rookie season and is on a trajectory to emerge in a few years as one of the finest players in the women's game. I'm delighted she got the call-up. I think she is just going to keep getting better, and I expect to see her as a regular on the WNT before too long. But world-class? ;) I dunno, a rose by any other name... :D

I am very glad Tobin Heath is back from surgery, and glad Tarpley is also back in camp.

Like other posters, I would like to see Falk and Edwards get a chance in camp. Also, anyone remember Keeley Dowling?

One would have to be living under a rock to be unaware that something is going on with Lori Chalupny. She has logged more than 1600 WPS minutes and sustained 37 fouls since her last camp. So what is it, her fitness or the quality of her play? There is clearly a backstory of some sort here.

I'm looking forward to the final roster and the games. I'm also enjoying all the excellent comments and analysis!

25. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No kidding. Maybe someone with a ussoccer account can make a comment on the roster story and ask where Chalu is? Maybe if enough fans ask about Chalu in the comment section USWNT folks will have to say something.