US wins mini World Cup

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Mikey mouse, May 21, 2006.

1. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An exciting day of 5 v. 5 soccer at the training exercise I currently am attending in Germany.

Little background, Im on a military exercise near Baumholder, Germany and there are 41 countries represented here. Today was a scheduled sports day with a 5k and 10k run as well as a 5 a-side tournament.

36 countries entered a team, with Italy entering 3.

We put together an adhoc US team two days ago, didn't practice once, played without proper boots or shins, and believe it or not, we won the whole thing.

We took out Italy 2, 2-0, Portugal 1-0 (which must have been embarrassed because they had uniforms, shins, and boots) which allowed us to advance to the next group. In the Round Robin round, we lost to France 1-0 but had the better chances, and beat Norway 2-0 which allowed us to the Semi finals as France also beat Norway.

In the Semis we took out Germany on PKs 4-3 and then we took on Italy 1 in the finals. We beat them 3-1.

A great day for us we won a medal (without the neck thing so I guess it is a coin) and a can of John Smith's Bitter each from the organizers (the British Army). Mostly we earned a little respect from the world. :)

2. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA! USA! USA!
    Congrats, Mikey!

3. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you da' man Mikey...

Now, you have to start sharing that talent with the Battery Over 35 leagues at Blackbaud.

4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure you didn't have an unfair advantage by wearing your jackboots and carrying your M-16s the entire game? :D
    Congrats, thanx for doing your country proud (and good job on the pitch, too).

5. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA! USA!

Today the Armed Forces 5 v. 5, tomorrow the u19 division at the Dallas Cup!

6. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks guys

I failed to mention thought that I did it wearing a Charlesotn Battery T-shirt. Maybe they were intimidated?!?

I've had several people come up and say we did a realy good job (one being french!) over the alst couple days. I only hope we can pull off a result against Italy or Czech in June!

Anyhow didn't really want to gloat only to share.

7. The Lieutenant

Dec 29, 1999
    Lupburg, Bayern
    Tough training exercise. Sounds like a blast.