US vs Russia (April 6 & 9) Pre-Match-Post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kernel_thai, Mar 24, 2017.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was not a bad game; not a great game, but not a bad game. There was a definite lack of sharpness from a number of players, but since most are in preseason, I think that's to be expected. The lack of sharpness really showed up in the finishing and in the numerous offside calls, which is often all about timing. (The game could have easily been 6 or 7-0 if Dunn would have stayed onside!)

In this formation, the outside backs were providing width with both Pugh and Lavelle often cutting inside. So really we had less dedicated defenders than a 3-back. But we didn't need them against Russia for the most part, and the defense also looked more comfortable in the more familiar 4-back. Also Russia apparently has not received the message that a high press is what disrupts the USWNT. The midfield had so much more time and space to play with the ball than in any of the 3 SBC games, which was part of the reason why we looked so much better. I will say that the offense also had better off-the-ball movement than in the SBC; maybe that was partly due to the lack of pressure but I'd like to think its something that they were focused on as well.

Lavelle had a great game. She still obviously has some development to do as far as decision making, but I think the NWSL will help with that. She had some sublime touches on the ball though, and I continue to be impressed by her.

I was not impressed with Short at CB, but I think she played so much better at outside back. I think she played better as a LB in this game than Klingenberg did. She's just one of those players who I don't think Ellis needs to force into another position when she plays LB so well.

Pugh was not on her game tonight, imo, and often seemed to try to be doing too much. She seemed to be playing under some pressure, and I wanted her to relax. I also noticed nerves on Oyster's part, which is to be expected in your first cap. She wasn't really tested, and I'd like to see her get another run-out against a better opponent, perhaps in the summer tournament.

Our corners were vastly improved from the SBC, thanks to Lavelle and Rapinoe. Other than Pinoe's corners though, I don't think I saw enough from her to say one way or another about her present capabilities.

Other than that, I'll just add that I was happy that we came out of the game without injuries, especially to Long who was repeatedly hacked during the game. Also I hope to see Ohai and Williams on the next game day roster.

2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
  3. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I thought they looked very well organized-- but that was largely because they didn't have to sort out what worked from what didn't. It all worked.

The idea that that opponent could play a high pressure style against us is pretty silly-- they aren't fast enough, strong enough or conditioned enough. In particular, not strong enough; they were producing soap-bubble passes from the get-go. Maybe they'll do better next game when the jet-lag has cleared... but this'n was just showtime.

I like Short's future, but she has to pass better; she's got welcome speed and strength stopping stuff, but the starting the other way still needs work, even in this game.

Lloyd had an awful game, but she had to play-- with Heath and Horan out there was no one else to be an enforcer, and when the Russians started frustration-fouling, they were abysmally unsophisticated at it. Long took a serious beating, but we might have had several injuries; and if they'd pulled that crap on Brazil they'd have had several people watching the rest of the game from an ambulance.

Disappointed that Pugh seems to be getting infected with the USWNT's passion for kicking field goals; up to now she's been pretty good at not reaching for outside shots, but yesterday...

Mewis is becoming a favorite-- she just gets better and better at making everybody else look good. She's so good at it now that she is making herself look good too.

Klingenberg didn't look all that healed-- she was having real trouble flipping her hips to change direction, and her speed wasn't up to her norm either. And the Doctor Suess hair... I mean, whatever works for her, but that was really hard to ignore. She looked like she was going to Halloween as a minaret. Or a Teletubby.

Krieger, on the other hand, looked ten years younger. The speed of this opponent was within her reach, where some of the SBC stretched her past her "under control" point.

4. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    The Portland - U23 result was a fluke. Portland controlled much of the match, had 1-0 lead and could have had more--squandered some chances late in the 1H and then Henri (super play) hit the post late in the game--and then the U.S. got two late, gift goals. One was a very questionable penalty call, and then just before the 90th minute the Portland keeper committed a howler, just kicking the ball directly to Smith of the U.S. directly in front of her goal, and Smith put it in the net. The U23 had one good flurry very early in the game but really created very little after that.

5. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I thought that Pugh didn't benefit from being an inverted winger. A lot of stuff fell to her left foot.

I hope the minaret returns to full ability. I'm a huge fan.

6. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Me too. I think her installation at left back was the key to the WC win.

7. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Every time I watch Pugh, I come away less and less impressed. She's fast and...? I don't see a ton of field awareness or much in the way of technical skill.

Rose Lavelle was the truth last night though. Hope she keeps improving.

8. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm the same way but perhaps not as dramatic. It feels more like her viability is only against certain opponents & in certain positions, and the more opponents & positions she plays, the clearer that has become.

Ask her to drop back deeper (like vs Russia) or play against better opponents & she just doesn't look very effective. Lavelle, on the other hand, has looked very effective now from both a deep line midfield position which she played in the SBC and in a high & central midfield position ie vs Russia. She's absolutely the next Heath, & arguably more effective as it appears she's willing to get into it & play defense.

9. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now up on youtube:

Namdynamo, Semblance17 and Socarchist repped this.
  10. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooo whooooooo

Road trip has turned to European Vacation

TimB4Last repped this.
  11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    With an upgrade to business class!

12. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #87 lil_one, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  13. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    It's possible Ohai will get some quality playing time today.

14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Keep playing them but maybe consider finding a coach who can improve their games. Pugh is playing the same way she did when she joined the team a year ago. Will Lavelle be experiencing the same growing pains a year from now?

15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Which makes no sense to me. Rotate the lineup against an easy opponent.

holden repped this.
  16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Another finishing drill game.

17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The play was offside before Dunn skied it. I'm not sure how much "she will want that one back."

18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Does the video look like we're watching through a net or screen for anyone else?

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Penal penal penalty!

Hustling earned that PK

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    20' Goal Lloyd right, hard and low. Keeper gets a paw on it, but it has too much power with the good placement

21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    37' Lavelle gets a goal after a diagonal ball from Pugh

22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    38' Dunn goal inside the 6 after a cross from Kling

23. KHenry14

KHenry14 Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lavelle seems to be the real deal. Right now she's showing better than Heath has in a while. And by the time the next WWC she'll be a regular

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Russia gets a PK call after Short is called for a foul after a Russian decides to fall backward.

42' Goal Russia

USA leads 3-1

25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    US Goal in the third minute of stoppage
    It's an autogol

4-1 at half