US vs Russia (April 6 & 9) Pre-Match-Post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kernel_thai, Mar 24, 2017.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    U.S. Women’s National Team Roster by Position – Texas Friendlies
    GOALKEEPERS (3): Jane Campbell (Houston Dash), Ashlyn Harris (Orlando Pride), Alyssa Naeher (Chicago Red Stars)

DEFENDERS (6): Meghan Klingenberg (Portland Thorns FC), Ali Krieger (Orlando Pride), Kelley O’Hara (Sky Blue FC), Megan Oyster (Boston Breakers), Becky Sauerbrunn (FC Kansas City), Casey Short (Chicago Red Stars)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Morgan Brian (Houston Dash), Tobin Heath (Portland Thorns FC), Lindsey Horan (Portland Thorns FC), Rose Lavelle (Boston Breakers), Carli Lloyd (Houston Dash/Manchester City), Allie Long (Portland Thorns FC), Samantha Mewis (NC Courage), Megan Rapinoe (Seattle Reign)

FORWARDS (7): Crystal Dunn (Chelsea FC), Alex Morgan (Orlando Pride/Olympique Lyonnais, FRA), Kealia Ohai (Houston Dash), Christen Press (Chicago Red Stars), Mallory Pugh (UCLA), Amy Rodriguez (FC Kansas City), Lynn Williams (NC Courage)

2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The call-in to camp is for 24 players. 18 will be named to each game roster. The training camp will start on March 30, and Dunn will report that day. Lloyd is scheduled to come in a day later, and Morgan will report to camp on April 3.

As far as the roster, it looks like Kling, Rapinoe, ARod, and Ohai are back in. Oyster gets her first call up. From the SheBelieves roster, there's no Johnston, Sonnett, Pinto, or McDonald.

3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll also add the info that the April 6 game is in Frisco, TX at 7:30 pm CT (7 pm CT starts the pre-game show). It will be on FS1. The April 9 game is in Houston, TX at 1 pm CT, and will televised on ESPN.

4. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the idea that we have just one thread for both games. Hope it stays that way & someone doesn't create 2 more threads for each game.

5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Im pretty sure she is sitting out the hockey World Championships as well :)

Airox repped this.
  7. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This seems like a crucial series for several players. Rodriguez, Rapinoe, Krieger, and Klingenberg have to prove that they're still in the running for the 2019 WC team.

Why Megan Oyster? She was a sub last year for Washington.

Sam Mewis gets a chance to nail down a starting spot. Lavelle hopefully gets a chance to show her stuff in the middle. Bad news for Brian and/or Horan?

Who's going to be the center back if we continue with the three-back? Not exactly a roaring success so far.

8. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say this is a crucial series for Jill Ellis. She experimented. Her experiment failed. If she learned then wonderful. If not not then she needs to be gone right away. A coach that doesn't learn should not be leading the national team.

Long on defense is a fail. A 3 back using anything other than centerback players is a fail.

Namdynamo, babranski and kernel_thai repped this.
  9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So with Brian and Horan out Mewis should certainly get a good long run against Russia

11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If there is logic to anything Ellis does it continues to escape me. She carried Pinto as a CM at SBC, wasting a spot that could have been used for someone who was ready to contribute. Now with two CMs injured for Russian matches, ud think Pinto actually gets used...um, nope...she brings in Howell.

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Just a guess but with 2 CMs out either Ellis will actually have to play some of her midfielders (Long & Lavelle) in the midfield or she'll just have FIFA PotY Carli Lloyd cover two spots :)

14. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Oyster started all 15 of the 15 games she played last season... not what I'd call a sub. (It was never announced she was injured, but it was speculated that she was. I don't know if it's true or if she just had a falling out with Gabarra near the end of the season, but if she had then why would she have started in the Final?)

15. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    leroux is playing preseason games for fckc.

is she still not cleared to play with the nt?

or is jill done with her? she's still allocated. no?

16. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm okay with some of these players sitting out due to minor injuries (as long as they heal up soon!). These games were a great chance to rest veterans anyway. Honestly, I wouldn't have minded to see the European-based players stay with their clubs.

Looking at the roster, I think we'll see Long playing in the midfield...I hope. And the chances of seeing Rapinoe and where she's at just increased significantly as well as good chances of seeing Ohai out on the wing.

18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    There should be a Lifetime movie about this. This is the same Sophia Smith who had a small role at the U17 WC half a year ago. So did she suddenly explode or did the U17 coach miss something. Thankfully the U23 coach picked up on the other guy's mistake ;)

20. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
  21. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    doesn't mean much as we know, but still impressive win for a young u23 team.
    sophia smith looked good for 16, but...

Rose could suddenly have a lot of responsibility in the midfield..which is also a great opportunity for her. I wonder how long Jill's love affair with Long will last and where she will play against Russia.

22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Why Smith instead of McCaskell? Both have done well for the 23s and McCaskell is much more polished.

As for Lavelle, give her the first half of each match at the #10 with the first group attackers and see if she can create for them. Lloyd can still have the 2nd half to work on her stats.

CoachJon repped this.
  23. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
  24. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC