US vs. Latvia, May 28th in Hartford: All info

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by patfan1, Mar 15, 2006.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The send-off match for the US World Cup Team will be in Hartford, CT against Latvia, Memorial Day Weekend. The game will be up at The Rent.

Please use this thread for any questions/info regarding this match.

We have set up a hotel for people to use both Saturday and Sunday nights, and once I sign the contract and return it to them tomorrow, I'll pass that info out.

We'll be working on both a pre-game party, tailgate info and ticketing hopefully will be up soon (once USOC fixes their stupid site again).

2. Laughlin

Laughlin New Member

Apr 26, 1999
    London, UK
    I am certainly in. The more planning the better, as I need some motivation to keep friends from going to the beach to hang out in......East Hartford, CT...Can't wait to see the stadium and send the team off, let the planning begin...

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hotel info for those that are interested...

Sam's Army rate of $89 per night at the Holiday Inn East Hartford. It's a very good rate, and they took care of Sam's Army last time (for the T&T match) as well.

Here's their website... just one minute drive from the stadium.

If you're interested, please call them at (800) 315-2621 and ask for the US Soccer Sam's Army Group Rate or Block Code SSA.

4. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just booked a room through the website using the SSA booking code. Great rate for a holiday weekend.

Thanks Monty!

Jarrett

5. ChelseaMatt

ChelseaMatt Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Memphis
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That saves a full $4. $93 is the rate otherwise.

6. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the $93 is a pre-paid, advanced purchase, non-changeable rate (you have to pay upon reservation and cannot cancel). The $89 SA rate is fully cancelable/refundable up to 6pm day of reservation. It saves $15 off the best refundable rate via the website.

Even if it was only $4, that would buy you some beer. Honestly, folks like BigDog, PatFan1, etc. are working hard to make sure the Sammers have a great experience. You know we could all some them a little more appreciation.

7. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if you don't like the rate, stay somewhere else and do the legwork yourself. Just got approved tickets through Sams army website, everything seems to be working, see everyone in hartford.

8. Beantowner

Beantowner Member

Aug 19, 2005
    HK / Shanghai / NY
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL, I assure you very few, if any, people spend holiday weekends in East Hartford. On the other hand, you can walk from the Holiday Inn to Rentschler Field in about 10 minutes.

9. Beantowner

Beantowner Member

Aug 19, 2005
    HK / Shanghai / NY
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that it's a pub-style environment, but the Mexican restaurant across the street from the East Hartford Holiday Inn motel has a large bar. On days of UConn football games, I know it is very accomodating and busy. I suspect they wouldn't mind making some dinero on an otherwise dead holiday weekend in East Hartford.

Next door to the Holiday Inn, there's a Best Western, Days Inn or similar quality motel. Other than that, the Sheraton Hartford (actually located in East Hartford ==> across the Connecticut River from downtown Hartford) is about a 5 minute drive or 15 minutes walk from the stadium. Otherwise, more expensive alternatives are in Hartford itself (Marriott, Hilton, Goodwin Hotel, Residence Inn, Crowne Plaza, etc.). Less expensive motel/hotel alternatives are just off I-84 in towns to the east of East Hartford, e.g., Manchester and Vernon.

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most likely we're going to try and set up a bar downtown like we did last time for the T&T game, which everyone had seemed to enjoy. And most likely ... it'll be the same bar. :D

11. Sportman77

Sportman77 New Member

Jan 13, 2006
    I'm sure everyone has one, but I have an extra presale password (my dad's) if anyone needs it, PM me. First one to do so gets it.

Got tix in Sec 134 (My dad does not want to stand in SA the whole time so couldn't go that route) It was $56.30 total for two $20 tickets.

See you in Hartford!

12. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i will second the mexican-american restaurant, it does have an enormous bar to it and is obviously close to the stadium. But then again whatever our leaders decide, i will do.

13. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but in downtown we might even have a street closed down for us. Trust me, it will be a much better atmosphere than at Margarita's.

14. Beantowner

Beantowner Member

Aug 19, 2005
    HK / Shanghai / NY
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds great, just throwing out some more info for anyone interested. With all sarcasm guns out of the holster, I'll try to be less helpful. :)

15. ChelseaMatt

ChelseaMatt Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Memphis
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that the head Sammers deserve my appreciation. I'll be staying at the Holiday Inn. I will savor my extra beer and my freedom for last minute cancellation. I didn't realize my comment would ruffle so many feathers. No offense intended.

16. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    I'll probably be at the pregame, but I have other priorities the day of the game, namely, asking my girlfriend if she will let me have her hand in marriage. It is only Latvia, after all:rolleyes:

Margarita's is quite big, and anytime I have gone there the bartenders all wear soccer kits, usually from the Mexican teams. Could get interesting with Sam's Army showing up.

17. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a suburban chain theme restaurant and I doubt a single Mexican works there. I'm sorry some of you like that place, but if we're downtown, we'll get noticed for sure, and that's good for adding to our fan base. If we're at Margarita's, nobody will know we exist. We need to take over cities we play in. Plus, the media will be looking for us downtown, not in the parking lot at Margarita's.

And last year was great at Vaughn's, and I expect it to be even better this year with the whole Pratt Street possibly being closed off for us!

18. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really, you thinK? When has the US media ever looked for soccer fans :rolleyes:

19. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm talking about local media. Better than nothing.

20. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    There were tons of cameras from all over the country (plus Mexico and even 1 or 2 from Europe) in the parking lot in Columbus last September.

I'm 50-50 on this one mainly because I don't really know where I'll be living in late May yet....I may just save my cash for Germany.

21. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, there will be media in the parking lot. I was responding to your comment about the media looking for Sam's Army downtown, which I find unlikely.

22. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    In Hartford last summer in the bar where U.S. fans were gathering pre-match.

23. L127

L127 New Member

Oct 9, 1999
    NYC
    Did someone say they knew of a restaurant where no mexicans worked?

24. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Yeah, the mexican restaurant across the street from the Holiday Inn.

25. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    That wasn't me that said that, but yeah I agree. Maybe a local TV station or 2 but that's about it.