Post-match: US vs Costa Rica Gold Cup 2017 semifinal match

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bungadiri, Jul 23, 2017.

1. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solid 2:0 win. General comments here.

COMtnGuy, kennytt, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  2. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great game by the US. We looked much sharper. Defensively we played much better. Besler and Villafana, outside of a moment or two, were very solid. Knowing that Dempsey can come in as a sub and have this kind of impact is great. He’s still a special player, but at his age having him run for 90 minutes each game isn’t the best idea.

Acosta had a nice shot, but I really am not sold by him as a partner for Bradley. I’d rather someone with a little more defensive bite, like McCarty (for this tournament) or Cameron (for qualifiers and the World Cup).

I like that Nagbe was a lot more aggressive. He still doesn’t have the nose for goal I wish he did, but he unsettled the defense a lot with his dribbling and drew several dangerous free kicks (and should have had a lot more if not for dumb “advantage” calls!”

Howard was very solid too.

Onto the final!

OWN(yewu)ED, Winoman, jaxonmills and 4 others repped this.
  3. ayers

ayers Member

Jul 9, 2002
    somewhere
    Clint Dempsey scores goals.

jnielsen, juveeer, Gacm32 and 5 others repped this.
  4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    juveeer, mbar, orcrist and 5 others repped this.
  5. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I thought they were the better team the whole game, but didn't really click offensively until Dempsey came on. Nagbe's so skilled, but so timid. Bradley and Howard were both very good.

Now lets go get some hardware. We need it.

6. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better play in the back, in midfield, and up top. Howard with a couple of big stops when Costa Rica did have some chances.

Well done. On to the Final.

deuteronomy, juveeer, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  7. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    We're way too dependent on an 18-year-old and a 34-year-old. But we keep winning.

jnielsen, COMtnGuy, ipass and 5 others repped this.
  8. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    General comment: I want to see at least two more people squeeze into FS1's post-game studio table.

ipass, seeds, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  9. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I'm a little worried - usually when the US has an attacking player like Dempsey in his 30s, the coach decides to cut him from the World Cup team.

ipass, Curva Nord, Deadtigers and 10 others repped this.
  10. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fernando Fiore likes Altidore's nipples.

11. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While Clint will deservedly get the attention, Nagbe was huge for the team tonight.

12. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    But they average out to a 26 year old so it works out

Burr, 2in10, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  13. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy about the win!

Also happy about Besler putting together some excellent minutes in defense. Suspect he and Omar will be playing the final. Omar less good tonight, but their partnership looked solid.

14. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    I feel the complete opposite. Something about the partnership seems to work and bring out the best in Bradley. The games they've started together, it seems those have been Bradley's best games for us in a while.

superdave, ifsteve, Gacm32 and 7 others repped this.
  15. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good game. Too bad that when the next opponent is invariably Mexico, the whole stadium is gonna be rooting for them, instead of us.

16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Nagbe gives our team a different look.

deuteronomy, manq360, wsmaugham and 2 others repped this.
  17. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    People who are gaga over Darlington Nagbe act like they've never seen skill before.

juveeer and y-lee-coyote repped this.
  18. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was it Villafana who got his pocket picked big time? Other than that I didn't really see anything too concerning. There were a few times we wasted possession in the final third with a cross to no one or poor shot but overall this performance was leaps and bounds above the previous four games.

19. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Moved from the pbp thread;

Deuce was great, Howard was great.

Altidore and NAgbe were good. Arriola and Bradley were better than ok.

Acosta was ok. Morris was ok.

The CB pair wasn't really challenged much but when they were they showed cracks. I don't trust Omar. I do trust Besler.

Villafana still telegraphs his crosses but he offered width going forward and Zusi is...limited. I guess he's still useful with Chandler being on the outs and not much depth at RB.

I feel like Deuce could have come on a bit earlier but not too many complaints about the subs. All in all we have the same problems but Deuce and Howard are old but still have world class moments in them and that makes up for quite a bit.

20. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    I honestly thought everyone was good tonight except Gonzalez. Villafana's defending in the oppositions final 3rd seems to be better than in our own, which is weird, but he was generally good tonight. Bradley and Acosta were good in the middle and Acosta had some good runs to open things up for other players. Onto Mexico.

juveeer and Heist repped this.
  21. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I still don't see it with Nagbe. He's not afraid to dribble at people but it ends there. His passing is poor, decision making slow, defense timid and shot non existent. He's a potential highlight reel with no results. What am I missing?

goussoccer, neems, Borrachin and 4 others repped this.
  22. kolbee

kolbee Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Obviously tonight belongs to Jozy and even more so Dempsey, but I have to say I have been extremely impressed by Darlington Nagbe. Confident and composed on the ball, fast and intelligent. I gotta believe he's pushing for a starting spot next summer.

wsmaugham repped this.
  23. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I would never t worry about Howard. Goal keepers last and he keeps himself in great shape.

24. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Very good from everyone. Howard did need some fine saves but Costa Rica was always going to get some great chances tonight. Good to see our best performance against the toughest opponent thus far. Tough one either way next up, but at least we're back in the final.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  25. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    America's Team finally wins an important game at Cowboys Stadium

russ, eainterplay, OGx3 and 16 others repped this.