US vs Chile Aug 31 & Sept 4 on left coast

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kernel_thai, Aug 22, 2018.

1. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am at the point where the only sport I watch is soccer.

When I was in HS I watched baseball and American football. After that I went into the service and discovered hockey and Soccer. After the service I coached and played basketball and soccer and stopped basketball when I got tired of the fake importance that was placed on the game

Sense then it has been all soccer for me except that I do enjoy watching hockey when the NHL gets into the 2nd half of the season.

I cannot conceive of a basketball game that is better for me than even bad soccer and this is a small step up from bad.

Patrick167 repped this.
  2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The US is playing with 10. The score bug says "temporarily playing with 10." All subs have been used. It's not temporary.

blissett repped this.
  3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ellis didn't engineer it, but actually I like that we get the chance to practice playing down a man in a game situation.

4. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Not the game I was hoping for. POTM is Chile's keeper.

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Lloyd decides to have another before it's all over. A shortie

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Blowout comb achieved.

US wins 4-0

7. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well the sort of match is over 4-0 US and probably well deserved.

If we do not learn to put away bad teams early we may well lose a group match in the CONCACAF qualifying tournament.

8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lloyd gets a brace. Will that do, @McSkillz ?

9. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lloyd being a little selfish on the last one should have passed it to Morgan but I think she's blowing off some steam from having a bad NWSL season with Sky Blue FC.

10. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With how little luck Morgan had in finding the back of the net, she probably would have sent her shot into the 10th row.

11. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Selfish a bit, but that's Lloyd. I think Lloyd has more to prove to Ellis at this point anyway, so I can understand the desire to get the goal yourself.

12. CTRef

CTRef Member

Jun 2, 2006

Yes, and Alex clearly was not happy about it. She was wide open for what should have been an easy goal.

13. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lloyd did exactly what she should have done. How do I know? She scored. Unless someone can prove Morgan would have scored ("should have scored" won't do) if Lloyd had passed it to her, it's case closed.

TyffaneeSue and jjmack repped this.
  14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I follow Christiane Endler more or less since the beginning of her career (the first time I remember of her is at U-17 WWC 2008, that was played in Chile, only reason why Chile had managed to take part) and I always found her a quite impressive GK!

Although this Chilean side looked quite poor vs USA, I am happy that she gets a chance to play at WWC, because I think she deserved that in her career.

puttputtfc and MRAD12 repped this.
  15. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I have very mixed feelings on what I saw. The first half, we stunk. Later we got better BUT Im not sure if it was because we:
    1) We settled down some
    2) They got tired
    3) Maybe both #1 & #2

What I do know is that I see nothing any different than I've seen with previous Jill Ellis teams. We are still playing mostly up tempo, helter-skelter soccer and are not advancing into a more sophisticated game as other teams we will face in the WC are. Jill Ellis has had years to improve our product and has not taken us one step forward IMO. I fear it will never happen under Ellis and that it will take a giant wake up call if we get eliminated early. That could happen as there are several teams that can give us problems. It's like watching a car heading off a cliff but not being able to do a thing about it. You know the result that's coming and it can't be stopped

Patrick167 repped this.
  16. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update on Zerboni:

sitruc repped this.
  17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I didn't watch the USWNT game as I went to the Red Stars vs Sky Blue game in Chicago and got home late. Someone on ES mentioned that Casey Short was injured last night? Can someone tell me what happened, if so.
    Red Stars need her for the playoffs.

18. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, she left in the 80th or so minute, forcing the team to play down a player since all subs were used. They took her to the locker room on what appeared to be a lower leg injury (possibly ankle again?). I haven't seen any more detailed info.

blissett repped this.
  19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you knock on wood when you posted this?

It sucks if two players will have picked up injuries in a friendly and have to miss NWSL playoffs (especially one injury being in the first 5 minutes of the game!).

blissett repped this.
  20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Although mildy off-topic here, I'll add that something I always appreciated in Endler is that, despite her height (she's said to be exactly 6' tall), she looks very nimble and coordinated, not at all clumsy or awkward as some very tall GKs tend to be in some situations.

Also, it doesn't hurt that she looks quite pretty. :giggle:

[​IMG]

21. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked like her ankle, to me.

22. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy S. I had no idea....your humble poster had a 30 yard, 30 second walk and talk with her at the San Jose Airport at about 1:00p.m. Of course at my age, moving slow is my natural speed but I didn't notice anything negative - crutches, cast, etc. I guess all I can confirm is that Awesome Sports Goddesses do in fact walk amongst us mere mortals.

23. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The International Court of Justice in The Hague has universally decreed that........
    USWNT > everything that has ever existed
    Them, not me - - Single Malt Scotch came in a distant 2nd.

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    USWNT is the greatest source of torture in the world. I'll allow it.

lil_one repped this.
  25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rep for causing me to literally laugh out loud. At work. :laugh: :whistling: