US vs Canada friendly on FSW?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by MartSkin, Jan 11, 2003.

1. MartSkin

MartSkin Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Right Back
    I was watching the FoxSportsWorld Report last night and they announced a schedule change and said they were going to show the US v Canada friendly live next Satruday. And delayed for Canada viewers.

Foxsportsworld.com program schedule doesn't list it and neither does soccertv.com.

Did anyone else see that or was I halucinating?

2. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

The game in Canada will be shown live on Fox Sports World Canada and not delayed.

I am not sure about Fox Sports World

3. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    other way around...

it is being shown live on FSWC and will be shown tape-delayed on FSW

4. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Re: Re: US vs Canada friendly on FSW?

Awesome! When?

5. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Re: Re: Re: US vs Canada friendly on FSW?

not sure, they just said on fox sports report that is was going to be shown live on FSWC and would be shown on tape-delay on FSW...they did not give a date.

6. MartSkin

MartSkin Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Right Back
    Ahhhh that makes more sense. My son got some noisy toys for Christmas so I don't always hear the TV so good no more.
    I hope FSW shows it later that night.
    Thanks fidlerre.

7. Timbers_Roberto

Timbers_Roberto New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    For what it is worth the game isn't listed on FSW at any time on Jan. 18 or 19.

8. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the past, Fox Sports World has shown some games that were originally aired on PPV later on tape-delay.

In these cases, it is their policy not to announce the schedule for these matches until after the PPV event airs in order not to drain viewers away from the PPV provider.

9. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    i still don't get it, why the game will be showing live in canada and tape delay in US, isn't it the same company? FSW? they pay every month and so do we. What is the reason that the game can't be aired live in US but it can in Canada?

10. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Setanta Sports (the PPV company) must have paid for the rights and then re-sold them to FSW. My guess is one of their conditions was the game couldn't be shown live in the US market since it would detract from their PPV offering.

Setanta is banking on the fact that many of us in the US are going to head out to our local sports bar and drop 5-10 dollars cover to see the game or tune in on DirecTV.

It doesn't appear than any canadian PPV or satellite company picked up the broadcast so they probably just sold the live rights

Pure speculation on my part, for sure...

11. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    bump, anyone heard anything else about this game being on FSW? It's especially important for me since I will be out of town until Sunday night..grrrrrr

12. accion

accion Member

Nov 28, 1998
    dfw, texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    i just looked through the schedule on soccertv.com, and i didnt see it, mayeb its brand new annoucemnet and hasnt been added yet, hopefully

13. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    I would expect that Setanta and Directv don't want FSW promoting it too much before the PPV event. If they did most of us would just wait until they showed it. I know they mentioned it in Report, but maybe that was allowed under the deal.

Anyway, FSW posts their schedules 1-2 weeks in advance on their site. Whenever they decide to disclose when they will show it, it should appear there first. Look for a suspicious 2-hour block of paid programming or something else nobody will be disappointed to miss.

I'm no expert-these are just my guesses.

14. cosmosRIP

cosmosRIP Member

Jul 22, 2000
    Brooklyn NY
    I saw that initial report, but haven't seen a thing about it since, they certainly made it sound like it would be shown sometime this weekend. The FSW site is so last minute with their schedule (what's up with that?) and soccertv still shows nothing.

15. Eben

Eben Member

Sep 16, 1999
    Fairfax, VA
    If the past is prelude, and if FSWD plans to show the game, they will show it on a 2-3 day delay and they won't reveal when until AFTER Saturday.

16. Eben

Eben Member

Sep 16, 1999
    Fairfax, VA
    Unfortunately all of the paid programming blocks on the schedule next week are in the wee morning hours or 8-10 am (eastern), not usually the time for a replay, but you never know (also, the schedule is definitely subject to last-minute changes).
    On a different note, Bundesliga coverage returns Jan. 25!

17. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    I'll be traveling and won't be able to see the game live on PPV and last time I checked, Summers didn't list a time for a replay.

Hope FSW does show the US Canada game. Look forward to more info on the replay.

18. dheck

dheck Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Chapel Hill, NC, USA
    Setanta is paying to advertise the PPV match on soccertv. Even if Oliver knew what time the FSW replay was, he wouldn't put it on soccertv until after the PPV match is over.

That has been his policy for a long time and is probably in his agreement with advertisers.

19. kenosha

kenosha New Member

Sep 19, 2001
    West Vancouver, BC
    Re: Re: US vs Canada friendly on FSW?

AWESOME! What time will it be on in the Pacific Time Zone?

20. Matteo

Matteo New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    still nothing...

21. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
  22. atreyu

atreyu New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    So was this just a wicked rumor, or did i miss the replay on FSW, eh?

- one hoser who still doesn't know the score (and doesn't want to if there is still hope of watching the match)

23. MartSkin

MartSkin Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Right Back
    They mentioned it on FoxSportsWorldReport last weekend but I haven't heard anything else about it and they don't have it listed. :(

If I were a magic 8ball I'd say....

"Outlook Not So Good"
    -or-
    "Ask Again Later"