US vs. Brazil, Postgame Discussion

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by largegarlic, Sep 7, 2018.

1. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no on field argument for Trapp as captain at this point. It'd be like arguing mayonnaise belongs on watermelon.

So it's Sarachan't bowing to the orders of his SUM masters for a marketing ploy to prop up the SUM investors.

Their marketing ploys keep getting worse and worse btw.

adam tash and Marius Tresor repped this.
  2. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love gif destructions. I don't have the patience and/or technological savvy necessarily to dissect people's arguments in that way. But I watched the game and remembered some of the incidents, especially the giveaways and poor angles which displayed a lack of anticipation on and off the ball. Plus I knew he kind of got bullied again.

Even if it'd look pretty in isolation, he just doesn't fit what the U.S. should pragmatically be attempting to do, especially against better int'l sides. I personally wouldn't like his style 6 on all but a modicum of teams. You gotta be a dominant team in a league/level which requires little defense or play a possession-heavy style. I think so many want that out of the U.S. out of sheer undeserved ego. I want a destroyer that can hound, ball win, and advance it quickly, i.e.; EPB, McKennie, maybe Adams. Not someone who, when we finally win the ball by accident, looks for Trapp and slows the counter.

I think maybe there's a purpose for him at home against the sub-elites in CONCACAF or road vs. minnows. But against everyone else just about he mucks up our dynamic, maybe then hindering other's chance to shine too. In a way he's carrying on 2018 cycle Bradley's legacy. No way he should start tonight. Zero justification for 4 straight friendlies and not seeing different combos.

3. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It doesn't? I've been eating my watermelon wrong all these years?

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  4. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
  5. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    good news

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Can you tell me more about the inner team dynamics?

Did you see what Neymar said about Yedlin? You are right though. He'd say two times worse about Trapp because Neymar thinks Trapp is soft, a bad passer, Michael Bradley 2.0. He has a lot of respect for Yedlin and Brooks because they play in Europe. Many of you are offering very simplistic analysis against Trapp that speaks to what I've said. Its like some of you don't care to give any real tactical argument against Trapp's place within the team. If anything, it speaks favorably to Trapp. Its just being anti-Trapp for the sake of it.

He's not in the predesignated accepted group of call ups. Considering he's not within that group, all the reviews from some of you are negative about him, ignoring clear evidence in your way. Sarachan is earning more respect in my view for how he's implemented Trapp into the system. He has shown continuous smart implementation of what we want to be doing with the #6 role. No one claims Trapp is great, but any neutral source would agree he's done relatively well in his brief appearances. Its the constant complaining from some that shows that they don't care about that. Trapp has been predesignated as bad, and since Sarachan continues to use him, now comes the anti-Trapp campaign.

8. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    Clearly your idea of what we should be doing in the 6 role is playing slow, unathletic players who are traffic cones on defense.

9. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    people can not want trapp on the field and still think he played okay.

i personally think the benefit of players like adams and mckennie is that they bring so much work rate and energy to midfield that a HUGE BENEFIT of them playing is that they make a dedicated, unathletic dmid who just passes and "circulates the ball" redundant and unneccessary.

if anything they allow for a luxury CREATOR to play in front of them...

doubling down on d and a lack of chance creation is negative, cowardly, and BORING....

the team hasnt created chances against good teams under sarachan...and DUH....3 dmids wont.

for me, not wanting trapp out there isnt about trapp ...it is about the team and getting more danger on the field.

I'm against the role trapp plays not trapp.

Zinkoff repped this.
  10. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Thanks. I actually agree with your main point. We did indeed need closer to a 100% fully clean game. 81% is not good enough. (A little surprised it was that low. Now want to go back and see what resulted from the 19%.) Penalty was soft but a penalty nonetheless, and that's on him. Glad he can experience that in a friendly.

I still think he deserves a fair bit of credit for the overall cohesion of the midfield in the Brazil game, though. In the past against teams of that quality, we would've struggled to possess and build from the back -- resulting either in lots of dangerous turnovers or being forced to bypass the mid and hit long balls. That would've happened on Friday if he hadn't had a good game in the 4141, but for the most part our shape held.

11. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I will say this to defend Trapp...

Everyone has looked poor in the 4-1-4-1 Sarachan continues to try. Guys, like Adams, who can kind of overcome it are probably world class but we don't know it fully yet. If Trapp gets called by a real coach, let's see how he does.

The tinfoil on my head now has me believing that we keep playing a formation that doesn't work because we have to keep a spot (lone #6) ready for Bradley to come back. There is no reason to see if any of these other players can play a double pivot because Mikey can't play that. Trapp is the perfect foil as he is as bad as Bradley defensively; so nobody will be upset when Bradley is back there.

12. Wilsondrake

Wilsondrake New Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Jun 13, 2018
    USA will never out pass Brazil in near future.

13. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    The problem is, that's the only role Trapp can play so if you're against his role as a dedicated 6, then you're against Trapp.

14. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    i'm not sure about that. I think if you just rotated the midfield with Trapp and McKennie ahead of Adams, it would look much better. However, Trapp is not good at pressing, so if we want to play that way, he has to sit regardless. But if we want to possess, he could be in there. Delgado might be better, maybe not.

15. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    I don't think he'd be anywhere close to the team as an 8.

16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all of you wondering who the physical midfielder to take on the Jones mantle you may have missed McKennie being over aggressive for Schalke. I think that's the reason he initially got playing time because he would at times hack other teams and Schalke needed that steel even if the rest of his game wasn't ready until a few more months of playing.

As for which midfielders are ready i'm still putting a hold on any midfielder younger than 24 because they've either had to play and cover for Bradley which probably means they didn't look good or play in a 4-1-4-1 with at least three defensive mids which isn't suitable for probably any mid. Surely the permanent coach uses a system that fits the personnel a lot better and gives players actual chance in formations and with other players that's more of a fair chance.

Patrick167 repped this.
  17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Why not just play 4231/442? Most of the US mids play in that at club level.

Patrick167 repped this.
  18. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having a reference to "SUM/GOB" in your "analysis" is basically like having a flashing "Do not read" sign as far as I'm concerned. If I could somehow filter those out, I'd be left with about 4 pages of interesting discourse.

Pegasus repped this.