Pre-match: US vs. Belgium, Tuesday 1 July

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by huckleberry123333, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huckleberry123333

Jul 17, 2013
    Screw talking about Germany. We advanced but that was hard to watch. Not much to take from this game.

This team is crashing out without some changes. We are spent. We rode Jones legs 1 too many games and with Fabian unable to get forward we were toothless. Dempsey is helpless on his own. If Altidore comes back that would be amazing, but he'd still only be at 75%.

We have to get guys like Chandler, Wondo, Mix, and/or Johannsonn in. Thankfully Cameron was rested and Bedoya was only a sub. I like our chances regardless who we play, if we trust in the guys we brought and give them a chance.

Revolt and IndividualEleven repped this.
  2. cobijones

cobijones Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Club:
    Alicante CF
    Luckily we have a few days off to regroup. I am definitely for playing Wondo...he showed some things against Portugal..We played pretty terrible today but i think that was do in large part to the circumstances 1) short turnaround 2) the rain 3) Not needing a win 4) Jurgen vs his own country

I think we can beat Belgium!

3. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. More talent than us, but they haven't been convincing. More preferable than some of the other teams.

4. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    #4 tab5g, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    2-1 to the USA (regardless of the opponent).

Argentina or Switzerland should also be concerned about facing the USA in the QF.

(And beyond that, imagine playing a CONCACAF nation in a WC semifinal. Who doesn't enjoy getting ahead of themselves?)

LBS8844 repped this.
  5. Cookham

Cookham Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So glad we play a day later. Crucial.

bornsteinforlife, FW__, judodono and 9 others repped this.
  6. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've lost no one to cards yet- that is quite remarkable for us.

7. LDubsPP

LDubsPP Member

DC United
    Sep 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would definitely like to see Mix in this match, and go back to the starting lineup vs Portugal. Omar played wonderfully today, but Davis stunk and Cam should not lose his spot even with that dodgy performance vs Portugal. I like our chances against Belgium honestly.

8. StrikerX4

StrikerX4 Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Lawrence, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The OP said we aren't allowed to talk about the Germany game, so I won't! I'll just say Brad Davis has proven that he is not very useful as a starter in the WC, so I hope that that experiment is done.

I think we HAVE to go with a second striker. Even if Jozy isn't ready. Clint needs someone up there to help him. I'm inclined to try Wondo, but I'd also be OK with Aron getting another shot.

Yedlin did well again today, and he is establishing himself as our speed option off the bench. I wonder if JK gives him a slightly larger opportunity (maybe 25 minutes?) next match.

I never expected Michael Bradley to have 3 bad games in a row, but that's where we are. He is running hard and applying decent pressure, but his touch and passing have been poor. If he continues this way, I think we have to sub him off. I think Mix is the only sub option for him, but obviously we'd be giving up some tackling ability there. Still, something has to be done to snap Mike out of his funk.

9. CA to VA

CA to VA Member

Jun 24, 2009
    So Cal
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Omar stays, Cameron to the right, Fabian to midfield.

10. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    Minutes played by field players through 3 games (mid-half subs get stoppage time added for the half in which they were added, otherwise stoppage time ignored, which is the best way I could think to do it. I noted stoppage time in parens):

Beckerman- 270
    Bradley- 270
    Jones- 270
    Johnson- 270
    Beasley- 270
    Dempsey- 267
    Besler- 225
    Zusi- 192 (5)
    Bedoya- 184 (4)
    Cameron- 180
    Gonzo- 94 (4)
    Johannsson- 72 (5)
    Davis- 59
    Brooks- 45
    Yedlin- 33 (9)
    Altidore- 23
    Wondo-8 (5)
    Mix- 0
    Chandler- 0
    Green- 0

11. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When do yellow cards re-set?

12. FirstStar

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given our possession issues in 2 out of 3 games, I'm surprised Mix hasn't played.

13. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    After the end of the quarters (i.e., the round of 8).

14. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After QF. Hope we get to that point. If we do win vs. (likely Belgium), I don't imagine all our yellows will come through unscathed, but the fact that we have none suspended yet is great.

15. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salvador looks to be slightly more forgiving in terms of the weather and travel for the US. You could see how sapped they were today. Although we defended resolutely, It clearly affected our attack.

16. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    I know everyone keeps repeating the FIFA rankings, but ELO has USA and our opponent in a dead heat heading into the World Cup. They are talented, but so are we. This one is going to be fun.

http://www.eloratings.net/

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  17. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    IF Belgium is vs,.

We must very very careful against to Counter Attacks. This is the only part I afraid about it.

I watched many Belgium games, their maybe the best team of the Europe in terms of Counter attacks tactics etc.

The midfield must must help support the Defens line. And watch out their side wings sleepy/ghostly out screen ball waiting for counter attacks.

I believe and hope US will score more than one goal,but I hope We don't let any early counter attacks that cause and result as a goal.

Could be a control game type tactic that that I assume We are gonna play in the One Game Show.

The game could be goes to the extra time or PK's.
    But, If we continue what We performed at group games, I think We are OK to go further round. It just my believe,that part of my six sense from the begin. hopefully things goes and continue as our way till the end of the Finals.

Bring it on.

Regards,

FW__ and sMiLeYz repped this.
  18. KennyWoo

KennyWoo Member

May 21, 2007
    Pasadena, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like our chances against whomever we play in the R16.

I'm not going to look ahead, but let's just say that if Argentina was 1H that I'd feel good about that matchup as well. :)

19. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks... and this is before the past few games. Surely US is above Belgium now. They have been a dark horse pick, but have looked emiently beatable. Not easy by ANY means, but beatable.

20. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    If Algeria somehow wins Group H, it would set up only the third-ever World Cup rematch between two non-UEFA, non-CONMEBOL teams.

The first two? USA-Ghana in 2010 and USA-Ghana in 2014.

21. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Guys, no players will be "rested" as there's plenty of time until Tuesday to rest up. Will Jozy be available?

22. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann post-match said that he benched Cameron to give him some rest, didn't say anything about performance being the reason (not that he would). I suspect we'll see Cameron back starting vs. a very quick Belgian side.

23. Converted54

Converted54 Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Optimistically rooting for South Korea. Looking good so far. I'm not worried about Belgium too much, just would rather see someone else from that group than them.

24. FirstStar

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They smoked us 4-2 in the USA last time we played, so I think that's feeding a real perception that they are markedly better. I think there is a gulf, but not that wide. For what it's worth, Nate Silver gives us a 42% chance. That's not too bad, really.

25. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching Belgium, I feel pretty good right now.