US v Sweden (R) - The Non-Push?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by law5guy, Aug 23, 2007.

1. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001
    This non-call was the deal maker in the match.

At about the 3:07 - 3:30 minute mark in the video comes the 'non-push'.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CePaiBzyq9s

Do you think the ref got it right (no call) , or should it have been a foul?
    It looks perhaps like the position of the referee led him to not see the push? That the only thing I can think so.

The camera angle of the replay is pretty clear on the push.

Comments?

2. falcon.7

falcon.7 New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Well, the replay doesn't show the aftergoal stuff, but the defender who was pushed didn't seem to mind that much. Still, that's a foul.

3. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A one hand shove with the palm would be bad enough. But, both hands? Wow!

4. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    Unless he grew two arms on his left side, it looked more like one hand. I don't know, this seems to fall into one of those differences you see between Sunday afternoon leagues and national matches. From the reaction of the players, it seems like this is considered normal play (and to be honest, I rarely see this called), so I don't have a MAJOR problem with the no-call. However, I would not have a problem with a foul call here either (how's THAT for fence sitting!)

5. falcon.7

falcon.7 New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Planning on running for office in the near future? :) From the angle looking at the front of the players, it is clear the push gave him the advantage he needed to play the ball and therefore score the goal. From the referee's vantage point though, I don't think he can see that. If the referee had seen it and chose not to call it, fine. But if he didn't, that would have been a good time for AR1 to come in and possibly save the day. At a camp recently we talked about AR's assisting vs. insisting to help the referee.

Now, if you as an AR see that and you're not sure if the referee saw it, would you call them over and discuss? I am curious as a young referee what some of the more experienced members would do.

6. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    Yeah I know...I very often see both sides of an argument.

IMO, if I feel the CR had a good view of the play, I would likely not call him over after the goal was scored due to the location of the "foul" (basically 3/4 of the way across the field from me). However, due to the fact that this was THE goal of the match up to that point, and the "no-call" pretty much lead to the goal, I would probably do the stand at attention thing and chat with the referee quickly. However, this would require me to have had a great view of the play and be darn sure that it was a foul (which I'm not sure the AR can do from his position at the time)

7. ref47

ref47 Member

Aug 13, 2004
    n. va
    the pushoff seemed to be in response to being held by the us defender. given 2 fouls of equal nonimportance, i don't see a call being needed. if the attacker pushed off the hold to make space for his own shot, then i would probably call the push.

8. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad non-call in my opinion. He got the necessary separation to complete the attack for the goal.

9. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The play reminded me of Regis getting mugged in the Italy friendly years ago for the only goal.

Sure, a foul could have been called, but one wasn't! If all contact was called you'd have stoppages like a basketball game! :eek:

10. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    I'm not a ref, but I can play jury and note the following facts:

One hand push
    Pretty egregious looking, certainly not "non-obvious"
    There does seem to be an at-the-time advantage, in that 'Dolo(?) goes from right next to him to a few feet away. If all you mean by advantage is that in the end he gives the ball up and its doubtful that the goal wouldn't have been scored anyway, then ok, I guess. I think I know the rules well enough to know that's not the standard, though.
    ref47 says he's being "held" by the US defender. Clearly a quarter second before the push, that's not true - 'Dolo(?) is only close enough to hold right at the moment of getting pushed. Looks like there's some contact between 'Dolo(?) and the the defender, but for a split second and if there was a foul called on 'Dolo it would have been one of those really shocking calls.

There's my .02. It's just a friendly, result hardly matters.

11. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I would have whistled it if I had a good view of it - even @ that level - in a friendly.

If we start allowing two-handed pushes then we will really are opening up a can of worms IMO.

12. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Defintiely a two-handed push. Ref must have been at a poor angle to see it, or was looking at it through traffic.

13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Just what I thought. Home cooking in a friendly.