US v Mexico 8-10-11 in Philly at the Linc

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by GL-_6, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GL-_6

GL-_6 Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Pasadena, CA
    Club:
    Guarani Campinas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully it won't be 90% Mexico 10% USA like two weeks ago. And lets get the Win!

2. StarsAndStripesFan

Oct 25, 2009
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://twitter.com/#!/ussoccer/status/89466829071859712

Hopefully we see a strong USMNT line-up, but pre-season training is probably more important place to be for most of the Euro league players.

Young players need to face Mexico at some point. I hope to see at least: Agudelo, Ream, Shea, and Mixx. I don't know if MLS has games scheduled on this day or not though? Could be all European league players.

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, this is a pointless friendly.

Well, maybe the "point" is for the Fed to raise enough money to hire Guus Hiddink. :D

4. GL-_6

GL-_6 Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Pasadena, CA
    Club:
    Guarani Campinas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope

5. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate these friendlies on the eve of the European season. Most of our guys have games on the 13th, that leaves no time to recover.

6. hctrlna

hctrlna New Member

May 26, 2006
    Club:
    Argentinos Juniors
    money grab

7. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. The timing, being a midweek game, isn't great, but at least it's local and there are no MLS, CCL or US Open Cup games during that midweek. Hopefully we'll get a look at some new players, like George John.

8. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Is Jimmy Conrad available?

9. JonfromVegas

JonfromVegas Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Pointless of course... unless these friendlies are scheduled so a new coach can have a few games with the team before the European seasons are in full swing. :)

10. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not excited :(:(

11. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    Who do Philly fans think the crowd will favor? Last time was a definite home game, but again, Turkey isn't Mexico.

12. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From facebook:

The U.S. Men’s National Team continues the Mexico rivalry on Aug. 10 at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia. The teams’ first meeting in a friendly since 2008 kicks off at 9 p.m. ET and the match will be broadcast live on ESPN2, ESPN3.com and Univision.

13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I hope that Bradley isn't planning on calling many European-based players. The Bundesliga starts on August 5, the Premier League starts on August 13, and pretty much all the other leagues will be busy too. The last thing we need to do is derail all our main international players by needlessly fatiguing them during the crucial early part of the season.

The only exception is Norway, which has a break from August 7 to August 21. I would expect to see Diskerud and Gatt and a whole bunch of MLS players. Maybe some Mexico-based players since they aren't quite as far away (but Philly still isn't that close). I think this is going to be a very experimental squad. Between the Gold Cup and WCQ, it's the right time for that sort of thing.

14. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll favor Mexico, obviously. Duh.

Why don't people understand that no matter where the USA players Mexico, they will always outnumber us.

15. kylesoccer12

kylesoccer12 Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    not pointless, someone got one of the reasons right, money. THe other is to see if Phili is a pro US crowd. If it is, then they will host a World Cup Home qualifier against Mexico.

16. kylesoccer12

kylesoccer12 Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    except in Colombus and I honestly think it is time for the PAcifc Northwest where a new type of American soccer fan is. I live in Boston, but want what is best for our team. Would love to visit my sister-in-law in Seattle for a US/Mexico game. Let the Sounders control the ticket sales and it will be a VERY pro US crowd. Drew Carey will make sure of that.

17. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep dreaming on that being anything less than a 95% Mexican crowd.

18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I wish but I doubt it.

To be honest, at this point I'm pretty close to feeling that every game under Bob is pretty pointless.

19. canchon

canchon Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Pretty funny to see all these people asking - "will it be a pro-US crowd?" It's in a large stadium in a major metropolitan area = 90% Me-hi-co and 10% USMNT. It's a Wednesday night people, USMNT fans have to work, it's too hot, they are on vacation, blah blah blah - it will be a weak crowd.

El Tri fans? If Mexico plays anywhere in a 500 mile radius, they will be there. Imagine every fan in the US rolling all their fan allegiances into one team and it is El Tri. It's a whole different level of fan support.

20. kylesoccer12

kylesoccer12 Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    sorry, they have to test some different waters, trial and error. It is a friendly that means little other than to figure if Phili can host. If you are right, cross Phili off the list and go back to Columbus. A lot of money made and NOTHING lost.

21. PALE568

PALE568 Member

Jun 5, 2003
    mind your own.
    This idea is ********ing terrible in every which way. No bright sides or positive angles. Boo, etc.

22. kylesoccer12

kylesoccer12 Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    what if there is a new coach by then?

23. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you heard of money or experience?
    We'll be getting both.

1 person likes this.
  24. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Don't bother using logic.

25. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Agree. Glad we can at least still fundraise off El Tri -- and get our youngsters some PT.