PBP: US V Haiti-Cancun Mexico World Cup Qualifying

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by htide, Oct 28, 2010.

1. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    I wouldn't think she was witty enough to make such a comment, though if it involves Abby, perhaps her commentary rises to the occasion...

2. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    ok when did the pelvic thrust become a shot option. That is the 2nd attempt today lol.

3. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    So i'm not the only one having a dirty night on the BS forums. Maybe it's the nightclub music. Thanks, CONCACAF!

4. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    and thats a wrap.. night all...thank you for toughing it out.

anyone know when the next match is?

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mitts = Agoos. That analogy gets over used on the men's boards but I'm rather afraid it is true in this case. Father Time catches up with some players quicker than others. Mitts is done at this level.

Pia, 3 center backs + 1 aging right back does not equal a credible back four. Pick at least one of them to sit.

Not a whole lot else to offer. The US did enough to win. Perhaps she's just using this game to rest/rotate players and a better back 4 combination will be used in the next game.

6. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Agreed that Mitts is rather useless at this point. She has put in good service for the team over the years, but if you can't play well against Haiti, then it should tell you something.

Pia will stubbornly stick with the 4-4-2, but I wonder if the 3-5-2 would be a viable option for the U.S., at least in this tournament where the defense doesn't have to do much.

-----------------------Barnie-------------------------
    ---------Krieger------LePeilbet------Buehler-------
    ---------------Averbuch--------Boxx------------------
    -----O'Reilly----------Wambach-----------Rapinoe---
    -----------------Cheney------Morgan------------------

Subs: A-Rod, Lilly, whoever

I feel like this approach would allow us to keep sustained possession in the offensive third more than we do. Our attack just looks so inept. Even with a 5-0 win tonight, most of the goals were scrappy and off set plays.

7. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    I thought Buehler's game was just as off as Mitts. I stopped counting how many long balls she sent into space. And while her positioning is better than mitts, she's still not as fast as the old hen.
    a 3-5-2 is interesting, I'd love to see it... I don't see Pia ever doing it though. Not even a friendly.
    We will be stuck with a 4-4-2 and and lloyd and boxx will be starting until they retire at age 39.
    BTW, did anyone notice the average age of this team is 28! That means next year for WC it will probably be around 29. NICE. It will most def be the oldest team in the tourney. gooooood sign already!

8. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    I've been critical of Carli Lloyd in the past, but her step-over and cross on Wambach's second goal was a good play.

She also did well to put several free kicks on frame.

9. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen!

10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A 3 back is intriguing for this team but b/c Pia seems insistent upon using Rampone, LePeilbet, and Buehler all together (at least that's why I'd think about it). Krieger really is a stereotypical outside back and not a center back so I personally don't think she would do as well in a 3 back -- she likes to make that run forward and is useful in that role.

And, sadly, we all know Pia isn't going to sit Lloyd so she'd be the player "in the hole" where you have Abby. Actually, that might be a good role for her as there'd be 2 mids behind her doing the work. Morgan would be a very nice change up sub ~70 min for one of Abby/Cheney. hmmm, I think you're on to something :D

I do feel a bit sorry for Averbuch, if one can feel sorry for a player getting USWNT time. She is soooo not a wide midfield player and everyone knows it. That sets her up to fail and there is no way to make an accurate assessment of her ability to play at this level. Pia's continued use of her in that position does make me seriously question Pia's ability to accurately assess players & properly construct a good, balanced XI -- too many square pegs in round holes.

Square peg vs round hole segues nicely to your point about Buehler. I totally agree w/ you that she made a terrible left back last night. btw, what's w/ the tape on the knee? Is she carrying an injury that ussoccer hasn't deemed important enough to mention? But I really think Pia is the only coach in CONCACAF (or perhaps the world) that thinks Buelher is a left back. What's up w/ that? I give credit to Buehler for giving it the old college try but it wasn't pretty. I've never really been a Buehler fan but I have seen improvement over the last 2 years and it isn't her fault that Pia can't choose just 2 centerbacks. Just no more left back, please.

True. I should give credit to that as well. The move & cross was a good one--well done there Carli. Kudos. As for the rest of Lloyd's play, it wasn't bad. OTOH, it was vs Haiti -- I'm not sure players deserve a pat on the back for doing what they are supposed to do. That's like congratulating parents for feeding their kids & not giving them beer. A USWNT player should play relatively well vs Haiti.

No, you aren't the only one. From the Philly China game thread (w/ some snips):

That said, the current roster has several players that are close to what should be their peak years. Abby is 30. LePeilbet & Lloyd are 28. Krieger is 26. Then there are several 25 yr olds (eg Buehler, HAO, Rapinoe). Averbuch, Cheney, and Morgan are all < 25.

But Mitts, Boxx, Rampone, Lilly skew the average. OTOH, Lilly isn't the one looking old & past it and I think the sub role suits her I'd still like to see her @ left back in a game. But I'm crazy like that. And neither does Boxx--she just needs to not play 90 for an entire tourny.

So much for my decision to post less on bigsoccer for a while....

11. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tweet from former Freedom defender Alex Singer:

"So crazy.. Played club ball with #15 on Haiti, Kim Boulous. Congrats to her, but go USA"

That might have been in Australia, though.

12. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Anyone else notice this when it happened on the right sideline? I thought Marseille came pretty close to putting her out for a long time.

[​IMG]

13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if it was this tackle or not but there was one tackle where I did worry about Mary Abby's ankles. I wanted Pia to sub her for her own safety w/ the 3rd sub. I'll wait to see her sub/player rotation pattern vs the Guats on Sat to make sweeping generalizations beyond the ones I've already made...

(also, if you're going to use the Mary in the webcast, why use Abby & not Abigail?)

eta: Scott Gleba may have had too much caffeine b/f his previews and is way exuberant. But I like it.

14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what I think is the beginning of that tackle...

[​IMG]

15. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I am happy for Buehler and impressed that she worked so hard to get to that ball and put it in the back of the net, she should *never* have had to do it. ARod should have pounced on that rebound like a starving leopard pouncing on a baby impala. There seemed to be little desire on ARod's part. Buehler was farther away from the ball & had a worse angle. But she got the job done and kudos to her.

16. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Good catch on the before and after photo. And yes, if she doesn't pull up and get her weight off her right leg she's out for the tournament.

17. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Yeah, I was cringing on that one. The gal got a yellow for it didn't she?