US v. ES in RFK?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by skippy, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pool of 30 players for this November friendly has been notified. 6 Revs in the pool. 22 to or so to get called into camp in November.

2. NikeBlues

NikeBlues New Member

Oct 5, 2002
    Boston
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: US v. ES in RFK?

hahahahah, true.

Also, where did you find that about the 30 pool players ?

3. jon_doe

jon_doe BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 19, 2002
    who the hell are you? why should anyone believe what you say about the player pool with out a link or some other kind of proof?

4. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who the hell am I ? Someone alot more classy than you. Why should you beleive me ? I don't give a crap if you do.

This is an information and a discussion board. I have some information and thought some others might like to know. I have no link because as far as I know the information has not been made public yet. As far as I know Arena has never made the pool public but as soon as he decides who will be in camp, USSoccer makes an announcement.

There has been some discussion about whether or not this friendly is even scheduled. If a pool has been selected, it seems to me that it is a go.

5. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jon - there are a fair number of folks posting here who do have access to some inside info that's not offically released. If there are 30 players, it sounds like a pre-game camp of longer than a week where coach will be looking at lots of new talent. We've seen it before and so it doesn't sound so outrageous. 6 from NE - well, teams that win seem to end up with a larger number of their players called in for these things than the losers (ie, don't expect to see too many faces from DCU in this camp).

We can start speculating on the NE 6 right now -

Brown
    Pierce
    Twellman (duh!)

Who else?

6. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say it's on - my DCU ticket rep sent me an email on Friday saying he'd provide me with details on ticket prices this week. In other words, it sounds like a deal to me, official announcement or not. A cash-generator, for sure and a way to get newbies used to what travelling to Central America will be like, except for the climate.

7. GTFO 121

GTFO 121 New Member

Oct 6, 2002
    DC
    i am definitely going to have to agree. the way the el salvadaoran supporters act is barbaric. they seem to believe that anyone and everything is under there rule when they walk through the stands. i have seen young men walk by a woman and her daughter and steal there french fries out of their bucket (i am not stereo-typing but this is a regular occurence at rfk when a latin team plays there). now explain to me how i am supposed to bring family members, or girlfriends to something i love and have these people treat me like this. i will not have this at my stadium. dc is my team and the usa is my team. we will win and it will rubbed in the face of these people! the ussf is making a terrible mistake by playing such a poor team. let's play brazil, italy, costa rica, even mexico. someone we have as a great competitor and will give us a good show whether we win or lose. i want to see good play, not terrible soccer with an incredibly large amount of fouls and misques. enough said, let's go out on that saturday and support our country and team. long live the red white and the blue!
    -gtfo 121

[mod's note: Welcome to BigSoccer. Please lay off calling people animals and lay off the all caps.]

8. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    i know you're new, gtfo 121, but there's no need to shout!!

9. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Watch the way you throw the word "animals" around. Sir Alf didn't have much luck with it either.

10. GTFO 121

GTFO 121 New Member

Oct 6, 2002
    DC
    FIRST OFF, WHO CARES ABOUT THE TULSA ROUGHNECKS? ALL THAT MATTERS IS DC UNITED AND USA! IF YOU KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT RFK, THEN WHERE DO YOU SIT?
    -GTFO121

11. GTFO 121

GTFO 121 New Member

Oct 6, 2002
    DC
    NEW? IAM NEW? EXPLAIN A LITTLE FURTHER. NEW TO THE SITE? USA SINCE BIRTH! DC UNITED SINCE '95! "ANIMAL" IS TOO TOUGH? COME TO THE GAME AND FIND US. YOU CAN THEN SEE WHAT WE SEE.

12. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    GTFO - we mean new to the site, not to the planet. Please lay off the all caps and calling people animals.

13. GTFO 121

GTFO 121 New Member

Oct 6, 2002
    DC
    is this better. i have more respect for ES than i do for a crying little fake like you! out of curiosity, are you going to the game? i sure hope i haven't offended you by calling them "animals". by the way, where are sitting?

14. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Hey GTFO, I think I know who you are. You wear the GTFO shirt to matches too, right?

So you gonna make your way over to La Norte again?

And relax, just about everyone here is as passionate as you are. Don't worry about that.

Sacin

15. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    It is better. Thanks.

16. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow, he's worse then me.

17. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    GrillMaster

EL tri has a losing record against he US in the last four or five years. They find it very difficult to score goals on us.

In it's road to Worldo Cup qualifying Mexico had three coaches each bringing in their own players for the run. Mexico got to Japorea without five of its France 98 key players, many of which are still young.

Do you think the USMNT would of qualified to Japorea if the USSF had fired Bruce Arena in the first round of WCQ, then Hired Sampson and halfway through the Hex replace him with an MLS coach ? In that process you would also lose Reyna, Pope, O'brian and Earnie Stewart as each coach brought in their own players and USSF picked out a few others.

18. jon_doe

jon_doe BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 19, 2002
    i think he's talking about head to head.

when you're talking about qualifying runs, it's a different thing.

19. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    jon_doe

i think he's talking about head to head.

I was only asking a question "Do you think the USMNT would of qualified to Japorea if the USSF had fired Bruce Arena in the first round of WCQ" ???

20. ColdCuts

ColdCuts Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Queens, NYC
    Re: jon_doe

I'm not usually one to point fingers, but this is getting way off topic.

21. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cullen, Hernandez, and Franchino. Heaps and Llamosa might be possibilities.

22. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: GrillMaster

I knew I should put a disclaimer in my original post about Mexico still being better than the U.S.

It would have read - for debate elsewhere.

VS...The U.S. did lose Reyna, Pope, and O'Brien through injury/suspension. The U.S. also lost Wolff, Mathis, McBride, and Olsen.

Injuries are part of the game - as are silly Administration and Management discisions. Mexico did have their fair share of both. [On a side note, the U.S. organization and stability is what will separate them from the rest of CONCACAF in the next 5-7 years.]

However, only Costa Rica didn't really have any nightmares during the HEX, but they did in the semifinal round (losing to Barbados and needing a playoff to advance). Costa Rica simply were the best side in 2001.

I based my comment - that Mexico is still better - on the fact that Mexico finished in front of the U.S. in WCQ. Sure the U.S. took the two games that they played on aggregate, but Mexico still finished in 2nd place. That is what the record will indicate for time immortal, regardless of the fact the U.S. didn't having anything to play for in the final qualifier.

The only deciding factor would be the WC Round-of-16 match. However this was one match and the U.S. has the bragging rights until the Gold Cup in 2003 (when both sides should have a full squad).

The win in the WCF's may put the U.S. over the hump against Mexico. I sure hope so, because up until then, Mexico has consistantly been better than the U.S. I will wait and see.

My fellow U.S. fans, remember when Iran defeated the U.S. in the World Cup in 1998? Do you really believe Iran is or even was a better side than the U.S. at the time? No. They just put together a result.

23. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Preston North End

VS...The U.S. did lose Reyna, Pope, and O'Brien through injury/suspension. The U.S. also lost Wolff, Mathis, McBride, and Olsen.

Yet all of them made it to the World Cup. The Mexican national team lost Ramon Ramirez. Cuahtemoc Blanco also missed most of the qualifiers. Some of the France 98 regulars that got lost in the coaching changes of Lapuente/Meza/Aguirre were Pavel Pardo, Dulio Davino and Joel Sanchez. Then we can add the timely accident of our then main defender and team captain Claudiop Suarez.

That is five key players that didnt make a return trip. While the US had Agoos as their weakest link, Mexico had Luis Hernandez, Jorge Campos and German Villa all thrown in the National team at Televisas request.

Injuries are part of the game - as are silly Administration and Management discisions.

The FMF is what keeps the TriColores from beign a better team.

Mexico did have their fair share of both. [On a side note, the U.S. organization and stability is what will separate them from the rest of CONCACAF in the next 5-7 years.

Agreed... and Without trying to sound arrogant i doubt any TFC country would of been able to pull off what the Tricolores did in WCQ 01. Three coaches, three teams close to elimination and still qualify in 2nd place and advance to the next round in the WC.

24. SJB

SJB BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2001
    Revs invited to camp...

As a Revs fan, I think that Preston North End has it pretty much nailed:

1) Twellman (duh!) (x2)
    2) Llamosa (known veteran)
    3) Brown (under the whichever MLS keeper is playing best this month clause)
    4) Peirce (solid MLS defender, not yet invited)
    5) Heaps (", for folks outside RevLand Heaps has develped into a quite althetic outside right back. His skill level isn't national team yet but his effort level is, needs a lot more ball skill but you can learn that...)
    6) Hernandez (the heart of our midfield during the run, more of a holding than attacking mid but playing tough defense and providing a pivot point for the attack)

25. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    I would have to suggest Ralston as opposed to Pierce. Pierce has been injured a bit, missed a few games down the stretch, and was not starting in the playoffs until suspensions.