US v. ES in RFK?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by skippy, Sep 20, 2002.

1. skippy

skippy Member

Nov 17, 1999
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A41997-2002Sep19.html

This here is a bad idea. I'm thinking I'd rather go see the US v. just about anyone else. The atmosphere at RFK when there is one Salvadoran on the opposing team is edgy and slightly dangerous. If you extrapolate, playing their national side could get downright ugly. Many diehard DC fans are skeptical about attending already. Someone needs to tell the USSF that playing teams whose governments we have tried to overthrow in the nation's capital is not a good idea.

Note to mods: Wasn't sure where to place this thread. It's news, but its about travel. I won't be offended if its moved.

2. Playable Back

Playable Back New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    I would prefer to see USA play than not at all.

3. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Isn't El Salvador a powder-puff team? Didn't we just kill them 4-0 with a McBride hattrick in the Gold Cup? We should not play a weak team like this again. But, I'm sure there's only one motive for this game and it involves the green stuff (no... not weed).

Typical USSF. :rolleyes:

4. Sweeper

Sweeper New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    I'm sure that the game has a two-fold meaning: the obvious cash flow for the USSF and an opportunity for some younger players to be capped and get used to walking on to the field as part of the national team.

5. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll go, but I'm sitting in the Eucker seats for safety.

6. voodoodiver

voodoodiver Member

Jun 21, 2002
    FLL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's a winner of an idea. Maybe ES will put in RDA to REALLY bring out the fans

7. Playable Back

Playable Back New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    Or Chris Albright?

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    perfectly reasonable game to give the young guys a chance. Arena will not blood new guys against Germany or Italy. So this makes perfect sense.

9. Sweeper

Sweeper New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Better yet, Agoos. Surely the flying bottles of urine would find his head at least once or twice, no?

10. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    Definietly. I need a USMNT game to feed my national team soccer jones.

11. Playable Back

Playable Back New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    Especially in person!

12. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Having El Salvador play in RFK is just plain nuts.

13. OBartleby

OBartleby New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
    Now I know BigSoccer has gone to pot when Segroves begins to make sense and is -– dare I say? –- agreeable. Oh, woe, I used to think there were certainties in life, but now I have been stricken with doubt and a sense that the rest of my fragile belief system will soon come crashing down around me!

But seriously, I have no problem with a friendly against El Salvador at RFK if it helps to fill the coffers of USSF. Hopefully some of that money will make its way to youth development programs.

In an atmosphere such as RFK, we can give caps to some younger players with promising futures, in a pro-El Salvadoran environment without actually traveling to Central America.

Everyone’s a winner here: immigrant El Salvadoran fans (and their descendents, if they choose to support El Salvador), USSF coffers, US fans (for getting to see our men whoop up on a hapless Central American minnow), young US players with little or no caps.... Did I miss anyone?

Maybe McBride will even play and make a hash of things so that Segroves can return to his old reliable self once more.

14. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    In person is fine as long as the close the seat in the second tier. I'm not trying to catch a bottle to the head or anything.

15. glove

glove New Member

Mar 20, 2001
    gaithersburg,md
    Maybe ussf can try to control sales again and limit the number of Salvadorians at RFK.!I have mixed feelings on this possible matchup-could get ugly but would be chance to see USMNT live. As said would be good to see some new blood ,but if this happens you better make sure you get a solid ref to officiate match and make damn sure your security is good. No offense to any Salvadorians just stating what most already know.DCU would only have had 5k last night without their support what a damn shame 13,000 for a crucial game could have made a difference with 20k or more.

16. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comeon, the whole point of this is to make money. Which for a friendly is fine as who cares if we win and if the team gets experience playing in front of a hostile crowd without leaving the US, all the better. And, of course, there are legal concerns.

And given the whipping we gave them in the Gold Cup, I doubt whether the USMNT is that scared anyway.

17. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Salvadorans are crazy when Cienfuegos or Diaz Arce come to town for MLS games. I can't imagine what the atmosphere will be like for their national team. I would warn anyone planning to go to be very careful, like traveling to a game in Central America careful. They seem to enjoy causing trouble at DC matches and I am sure this will be no exception.

I can seriously see the crowd being 90-10 in favor of the Salvadorans. A lot of people I know from DC are already planning on skipping the match, and it hasn't even been finalized yet.

18. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Whatever. They can get as crazy as they want, it won't avert the beating their team is gonna get.

19. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    In years past ES fans could of been confident about beating the U.S.. Now they can only hope to do so. Their FA is in ruins, they dont even have a National Team coach. Not only that but their MLS players must pay their own air fare if they want to go practice with the team in ES..

Of all the die hard Latino footy fans, the ES are most likely to convert to the USMNT. Their team blows and will most likely not make the HEX again. All you need is another Hugo Perez in your Squad ans the salvadoreans will forget about Diaz Arce and Cienfuegos who are old and on their way out.

Every time Mexico plays at the Coliseum ES come out in full force to support the opossing team even if its Butan or Monsserat. They allready hate Mexico and in time they will have no choice but to be US fans.. Maybe you can sucker them in with Quijano :D

20. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VS, the USSF needs someone who thinks like you. ;)

21. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    1) Stand up yourself.

2) We helped their government battle an insurgency.

3) If anyone wants to target soccer fans because of Cold War crap that went down twenty years ago, bring it right on.

4) They're a crap team.

22. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We beat them 4-0 during the Gold Cup, but it would have been 7-0 had our finishing not been crappy that day. El Salvador sucks big time. I hope the USSF can find us a better opponent to play.

23. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the MLS season, we have a long off-season. It's a great opportunity to look at new players -
    Twellman, a long list of defenders, etc. A great opportunity to stay in shape, and start preparing for 2004 qualifying. If we can make some money in the process - so much the better. GO USA!

24. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The finishing wasn't that bad, as I recall, considering rain was dumping down pretty hard for much of the game. Awful weather, but I had a great time at that one, despite the rain.

25. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why El Salvador? Why not Honduras?