US v Denmark friendly, Jan. 21, 2018, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Dec 18, 2017.

1. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U.S. Soccer to Honor Hope Solo for 200th Cap in San Diego
    https://www.ussoccer.com/womens-national-team#tab-1

What the H. I mean really What the H.
    Don't get me wrong, very few players deserve to be honored for their on-field play more than Hope.
    How did this even come about? Was it kind of.....

Hope: I want back on this team D*mn it. Let me back on this team
    USSOC: It is a beautiful day isn’t it.
    Hope: I’m no angel but this Organization has always mistreated me
    USSOC: Name one instance
    Hope: You have never honored me for my Caps and I want back on this team
    USSOC: We will honor you for your Caps
    Hope: I want back on this team
    USSOC: Do you want the Ceremony or not
    Hope: Where and when

During the Ceremony, will they hand her the mic?!? Holy Moly THAT would be worth the price of admission.
    During the Match, will ESpiN invite her into the booth for one of those extended interviews/commentary on the Match?
    No seriously - for ESpiN on that day what is the bigger story/opportunity for them...USA v Denmark -or- Hope Solo is in the House.
    I know I will have the DVR set for this one.

186 hours and 33 minutes to Kick in San Diego.

McSkillz, cpthomas and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Traditionally they don't get to talk...they just get handed flowers and a shirt before the match. I would expect ESPN to have her on at the half either live or something taped.

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Just saw Daphne Corboz got called in to NT camp .... unfortunately it was for the French NT. This isn't a rant about Corboz being good enough for USWNT...it's a rant about basing these decisions on parameters instead of actual play. Corboz doesn't look like the typical US midfielder so lets not even bother to look at her. I assume France is more interested in how she plays with the other ladies than how tall she is.

4. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Knowing Hope, she will just grab a mic from the nearest person and start spouting off about something!

5. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Look at the mids Ellis favors - Ertz, Sam Mewis, Horan, Lloyd. All big, imposing, physical players. Corboz does not fit this mold. She is wasting time waiting for a USWNT call-up, so this is a wise move for her. Good timing too as France is rebuilding its midfield almost from scratch right now.

6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Being a bit of a cynic, I have to wonder if she would have accepted the honor if it wasn't a nice photo op for the campaign

7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being maybe more of a cynic on this one, I wonder if she requested the honor as fuel for her campaign and put US Soccer in the position where they couldn't refuse her request because, if they did, it would have looked like denying her an earned honor because they don't want her to have a successful campaign.

kernel_thai repped this.
  8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And for the counter-argument: she did play with the US U23's; its not like no one in the entire program ever saw her. Plus, as far as height/size, we do have Lavelle, Pugh, and Klingenberg who are all on the shorter or slimmer side. I have to think she was just not considered good enough. Plus, her parents are French. Maybe she just felt that she'd rather play for them, and made that clear to US Soccer. We don't know.

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    None of the players u mentioned play inside. I believe the US still feels more comfortable with larger central midfielders who r more durable. On a side note, a lot of people believe Colaprico's opportunities have been limited more by her size than the way she plays. Then again maybe Ellis just doesn't like players whose name begins with C.

10. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree. Colaprico, I believe, is an in-betweener -- too small to play in the central midfield, too slow to play on the flanks. Of the U.S. team that is.

11. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In more than half of Lavelle's limited caps, she has definitely played inside, and Pugh has played inside a few times as well. But you might be right though and maybe Corboz's biggest liability was not fitting the US prototype for a CM. I was just pointing out that there are other explanations.

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    In Pugh's or Lavelle's case they may adapt the system if they feel they r a difference maker. If they changed to midfield to a pair of DMs behind either it would compensate a bit. They aren't doing that for Corboz.

13. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I must be a real cynic then as I figured she pledged the votes of her delegates to Kathy Carter to get the tribute.

cpthomas repped this.
  14. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    ... maybe because she is not one of the best smaller difference makers we have? lavelle, pugh, and colaprico are definitely better in my eyes, and likely in the coaching staff's eyes as well.

the numbers game is kind to bs. it always leaves us players with which we can denigrate the coaches.

lil_one and taosjohn repped this.
  15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Colaprico has gotten a couple camps but no game roster. Pugh & Lavelle have been used almost exclusively wide...if they were being tried in central midfield u could write this off as people like Corboz just being well down the pecking order. The only player who has been brought in and worthy of a look in the midfield since 2014 is Sullivan. I guess that tells me r midfield is really good.

Namdynamo repped this.
  16. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just noticed that the Scheduling Gods were not nice to the Ertz household. While the eyes of the World will be focused on SDCCU Stadium in San Diego starting at 4:30 (PT), Julie's Husband will be playing in a relevantly meaningless NFL Playoff Game starting at 3:40 (PT).

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  17. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :thumbsup:
    That's my Eagles playing in that meaningless NFL game!!!
    Sorry WNT, but you're going to have to wait.
    :(

jackdoggy repped this.
  18. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <Edit>
    While the eyes of the World minus Millennium will be focused on SDCCU Stadium. :D:D Good luck to Julie's Husband and you too Mill.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  19. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    ...was just responding to your own post #37 about how they might accommodate for pugh/lavelle in midfield but not for corboz.

20. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i-shall-return_684_512_80.jpg

THEY HAVE RETURNED!!!

[​IMG]

The mostest, awesomest Team on the Planet will once again take the pitch tomorrow.

Sunday, San Diego, CA at 4:30 (PT), 7:30 (ET) vs. the Danes….ESPN has the coverage. Match conditions looks like 61, sunny and winds at 7 mph.

69 days between USWNT Matches is the textbook definition of cruel and unusual punishment as prohibited by the Eighth Amendment to the United States Constitution.

- - 42 hours and 28 minutes to Kick my little soccer buddies.

The Journey with these Women, with this Team will always….be….GLORIOUS

CoachJon repped this.
  22. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JD, the USSF should hire you to take over their Twitter feed or something!

23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    jnielsen repped this.
  24. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if Davidson gets in the Denmark game, it'll certainly be more challenging than the group stage matches for the U20 team and theoretically better for her development. Camp itself is also more challenging than the U20 games. However, if she doesn't even make the game day roster, then I think she should have joined the U20s where she can be playing in games.

25. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Like everything else in this small blue world it's about Ellis missing the bigger picture. Why was Davidson brought into this camp when the 20s just had a camp and would be heading to WCQ during the NT camp? Absolutely no reason. Im sure Ellis will say her plan was to release Davidson early but that got muddled when Sauerbrunn needed rest for an injury. Truth is it was muddled the minute Ellis thought of it.

Now I don't think for a minute Davidson effects whether the 20s make their WC. Even a pedestrian performance seems to get them the top three spot they would need. This is about letting development run its course. While Davidson certainly gets a lot from NT camp at an individual level, it comes at the expense of the 20s down the road. They need to build chemistry and develop together as a team not have player parachute in from other gigs. This is one of the few opportunities the 20s get to jell and its derailed at least in a small way so Ellis can plan her bench for a tournament 18 month down the road.

jnielsen repped this.