US v Denmark friendly, Jan. 21, 2018, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Dec 18, 2017.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Denmark has already named a roster, I thought we'd go ahead and get a thread started.

The USWNT will host Denmark on Jan. 21 in their first friendly of 2018. The match will be in San Diego at 4:30 PT. It'll be televised on ESPN.

The Danish 20-player roster:
    Goalkeepers (2): Line Geltzer Johansen, Stina Lykke Petersen
    Defenders (6): Cecilie Sandvej, Janni Arnth Jensen, Mie Leth Jans, Simone Boye Sørensen, Stine Ballisager Pedersen, Theresa Nielsen
    Midfielders (7): Katrine Veje, Maja Kildemoes, Nanna Christiansen, Nicole Sørensen, Sanne Troelsgaard, Sarah Dyrehauge Hansen, Sofie Junge Pedersen
    Forwards (5): Frederikke Skjødt Thøgersen, Nadia Nadim, Pernille Harder, Signe Bruun, Stine Larsen

The team will be playing under the direction of new Danish head coach Lars Søndergaard.

CoachJon, jackdoggy and socalsoccer23 repped this.
  2. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting a match thread one month early?!
    Someone's craving their WNT fix. :) :thumbsup:

jackdoggy and blissett repped this.
  3. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    811 hours early - - which is well within the 1,000 hour restriction.:D

Love, love, love the San Diego Match in the 3rd week of January concept. Permanently affix it to the USWNT January Calendar in future years. Limited meteorological risk, wonderful travel destination, great crowds and most importantly, avoidance of the potential 100+ day Match drought before She Believes - which is agonizing for most of us.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Jan Camp roster

[​IMG]

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Heath, Lavelle, Mewis r injured. Klingenberg & Sonnett back. McCaskell and Davidson plus the usual suspects.

6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Camp starts Jan. 6 and ends with the game against Denmark. 18 will be named to the game day roster from the group of 26 called into camp.

Lavelle will be in camp to do rehab.

Also the FIFA window is only Jan. 15-23. I wonder if Dunn and/or Brian are coming in late.

7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Wonder why they didn't play two.

8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its probably worthwhile to note that January camp overlaps with the U23 WNT camp (Jan. 4-11). They're both at the NTC, so I wouldn't be surprised to if there are some scrimmages between the two teams plus possibly some U23's jumping into training with the senior team.

9. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 goalkeepers for 1 friendly? At some point Jill is going to have to narrow it down to 2 main keepers, and I don't think Harris or Naeher are the answers.

McSkillz and jnielsen repped this.
  10. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 for camp. 2 will be named to the roster of 18 for the friendly.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  11. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I look fwd more to this game instead of the SBC cause all 3 of the opposing teams are currently in a bit of a disarray & the Danes feature who in my book is the best player in the world, Pernille Harder. What I like about Pernille is that no matter how many times you dispossess the ball from her, she comes right back at ya!(sorta like the Ever ready battery). Her brute, physicality makes her move like a Sherman tank & can be a bit selfish with the ball, but in a good way(since her team mates obviously don't have the same skill level). On the negative side, don't think she's got much chemistry with the other known Dane, Nadim. Here's a vid on her vs Croatia in recent WC qualifiers/ Obviously not an strong opponent, but be interesting to see how the US is going to slow her down

another to keep an eye on is the DM; Katrine Veje. She's excellent on getting the ball out of the defensive end, an even more important role vs the high pressing USA. If she can do her job effectively, then I can see the Danes either winning or tying this game(but then again, not sure if their new coach will keep the diamond formation as previously)

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It's pretty standard to bring in extra GKs for the Jan camp so the gk coach can work with them.

13. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    While you are waiting ... here is the official Danish Women's Euro 2017 music video, performed by Danish stand-up comedian Molly Thornhill.

It's a Danish FA tradition that both the men and women NT players get to pick a Danish band, singer-songwriter or in this case a comedian, to write an official song when they manage to qualify for a WC or the Euro finals ...

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Camp started with the beep test. From this tweet, it looks like Kelley O'Hara dominated the test again. I believe that's Huerta that was running with O'Hara towards the end.

CoachJon repped this.
  15. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Instagram, one of those answered: Dunn is in camp. But I'm guessing that Brian is still in Lyon.

16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Dunn is interesting. Chelsea played Arsenal yesterday.

17. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    ...was there a rumour that dunn had something written into her contract re leaving if ussoccer called?

18. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason, I want to say it was more than a rumor and that there were actual allusions to something like that in quotes from Dunn, but I can't find them now and my memory is not what it should be. So yeah, it may be just a rumor, but I remember something about that, too.

19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I remember Dunn addressing that as well but then she wasn't released for Canada. This is a tough stretch for Chelsea with Man City the next fixture in a cup semi. Jan camp on the other hand is more to shake the rust off which Dunn shouldn't have playing in a Winter league.

20. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    maybe she got only a certain number per year.

kernel_thai repped this.
  21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Sauerbrunn and Brian have been ruled out of the rest of Jan Camp due to injury and Davidson is headed to U20 WCQ so it looks like a CB pairing of Dahlkemper and either Short or Sonnett for Denmark

22. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Sauerbrunn injured? She is mortal?

lil_one and jackdoggy repped this.
  23. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Development-wise, this injury to Becky is a helpful thing. We will see how adept Dahlkemper/Sonnett/Short are at organizing a backline by themselves.

Even with a center back leaving camp injured, Menges can't get a look. :rolleyes:

I'm not putting my money on Brian, Heath or Lavelle being healthy for the next major tournament.

24. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sauerbrunn's injury is a stress reaction to her foot. Its one of those things that initially you can play with, but will inevitably become worse, even possibly a stress fracture, if you don't rest it. It'll heal itself with a few weeks off. Brian is not re-injured. She's just staying in Lyon to continue to train and get fit there. Both decisions are for the best as far as the long-term health of each player.

Heath I'm not as worried about either. She had a clean-up surgery, which usually helps. But I do wonder about Lavelle; she has not yet demonstrated a "sturdiness" to compete consistently at the professional level.

I'm also a bit surprised that Ellis is not calling in any other players for camp. January camp is usually a bigger camp to call in anyone who's on the fringe. The experimentation period really must be over.

25. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ellis is too busy working on the list of excuses how she managed to lose to Denmark to be putting any actual time into the roster.

willydonc repped this.