Pre-match: US v. Costa Rica -- Gold Cup SF -- 7/22/17

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Reccossu, Jul 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WrmBrnr

WrmBrnr Member+

Apr 12, 2001
    San Carlos
    You're right. I haven't studied CR enough to know, but I am guessing Bruce and staff have.

I'm willing to bet there will be a wrinkle in the line up that will cause many on BS to say WTF, but will hopefully exploit something they've seen about CR's tendencies. However with the injuries CR has suffered throughout the tournament, maybe CR will throw a few wrinkles our way with players that we haven't seen much of.

DHC1 repped this.
  2. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I disagree respectfully. If it's tied late, that means the U.S. has either underperformed (if it's a low scoring game) or the defense was once again a complete mess (if it's a high scoring game); thus, the game is there for you to steal it. Go for the win @tavo2311 .

That being said, what I see happening is somewhat the same as the game against El Salvador... only that the defense will come through and come through BIG at crucial moments and the offense will captilize just enough for the U.S. to be relaxed and looking towards the final match in the 75th min.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Costa Rica are a counter-attacking team. Drunk on overconfidence, they got away from that style during Copa match. Since then they've reverted to type.

One wrinkle would be to play a 343/541 to stymie their counter-game.

4. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Thanks, pardner!

5. TavoElTico

TavoElTico Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    I'm sure Machillo Ramirez agrees. In this case, so do I.

6. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Against teams that are strong counter-attackers, I think the key is not not turn the ball over in dangerous areas or not being prepared when when we get caught with more people forward.

With respect towards MB, I worry about a couple ugly turnovers in our third if CR (smartly) pressure him as he receives and if I were Bruce I'd not funnel balls through him in our end.

7. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides being largely invisible during the run of play? Sure. Corona's goal was a bit of luck on his part as it took a deflection.

8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    What USA soccer need is less production and more effort.

9. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not what I said at all. Neither the team nor the two players are good enough for them to be invisible during the game. Not when they are expected to be large contributors to the attack.

10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Production isn't invisible. Dempsey got on the ball like everyone else, but the hacking and play-acting destroyed the flow of the game.

Master O repped this.
  11. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We might s
    While I agree, Bruce is not one to rely on relative newbies in big games. At least one of Dempsey or Altidore will start, I think no matter the lineup.

12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Bruce thinks 3 games in 7 days.

i.o.w. he has to think about what the lineup will be against Mexico for the title and whom he played last Wednesday.

Expect to see Corona instead of Zardes with Agudelo and Morris. Unfortunately with Bruce being wary of 3 cb's alignment that could mean the leaky diamond with Acosta in mid. with Dax.
    In that case we are truly lucky we don't have to face Ticos' best xi

He plays Zusi and Vfana who should be more familiar with CR and , I guess, Besler and Miazga.

I would rather:
    play 3 cb's with Bradley in front and sitting back sending aerial balls and using his experience to read the game behind him and fill in any cracks in the defense. I would use Dax as the 8 and have him put through balls in on the ground to Morris, dump some aerial balls in to Agudelo and add Zardes in midfield for passing and scoring and defense and all the brillilant stuff Zardes does from a midfield position.

13. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really curious to see what happens with our 11 today. #BruceKnows

14. shinpath

shinpath Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Shanghai, PR China
    Club:
    --other--
    In UK, need urls to stream tonight's match, thank you.

15. TavoElTico

TavoElTico Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    I'd say that even our counterattacking game will be severely diminished. We lost all of the speedy wing players we brought. Gamboa (RB), Oviedo (LB), Wallace (FW), Venegas (FW) and Campbell (FW) were our fastest options. They are all down and we are left with non-natural wingers (like D. Ramírez and Ruiz) and natural WBs that are not particularly speed-focused (Calvo and Salvatierra).

All in all, it's easy to see why I'm not as optimistic as per usual.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  16. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Such a stark contrast with the tone of the media that loves to hype us. Losses against the US are always taken badly here. If grit and tenacity won't pull us through, my social feed should be fun tomorrow.

17. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Costa Rica will create some chances, as the US defensive line has been very "generous" to opposing attackers in this tournament.

18. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Bruce using gold cup as a proving ground, but also as a platform to make some statements:

1. US players at 80% rest are not as good as the man behind him who is 100%. Is that depth at position? Yes, but doens't mean either is quality.

2. MLS players might be better prepared to play CONCACACAF than Euros since they are familiar with the central american antics and Caribbean athleticism. Euros are competing at a higher level, absolutely, but can they compete at a much lower level if needed?

3. The US can be flexible if coached and prepared right.

------------------

Bruce is also smart enough to know this kind of nonsense won't fly against top 20 teams. He will be able to pull of some minor slight of hands but to compete in Russia he is going to need some new, more talented horses.

19. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    we need more effortless production you meant to say.

20. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Deep Wilcox repped this.
  21. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Boy, Nagbe and Arriola did nothing to deserve to retain starting spots.

CU soccer repped this.
  22. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we can confirm Gonzalez is Arena's guy. Maybe Arriola too.

Nageb has had r[evious good performances in matches that matter and it's only been one game. I sort of like that Arena gives guys chances, but he definitely has his guys.

23. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That backline, with no real defensive bite in midfield, hmmmm. Well, I don't see the US holding them scoreless.

24. richmondlaw

richmondlaw Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    I was hoping to see miazga again but I won't quibble. The back line in the qf was horrendous, i'm glad 3/4 were swapped and I like seeing Morris start with Jozy and Dempsey not starting. I don't think he's a consistent 90 minute player anymore.

25. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonzo is in there for one reason and that is to mark Waston on free kicks. Besler can't do it and I think he is better than Miazga at this point. However, that doesn't mean Gonzo is going to be the guy come next summer.