US v. Canada Quarterfinal #1, 8/15 [R]

Discussion in 'Knockout Rounds' started by Charge!, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Familiar partners, these guys; at least they don't have to face Brazil, the U.S. All stuff leading up to this game, the first of 2 6AM clashes, drop it here. :)

2. twinssoccerdad

twinssoccerdad New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    What was the final??

When I left for work it was 1-0 when the delay happened.

3. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US 2 - Canada 1

Game went to extra time.

4. twinssoccerdad

twinssoccerdad New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    What was the reasoning for the Candians to change keepers so early in the first half?

5. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Injury to the starter.

6. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McLeod landed badly on her knee when she was diving to deflect HAO's header that Hucles tapped in the net.

She tried to shake it off but a couple of minutes later they had to sub her out.

7. toepunt

toepunt Member

Aug 24, 2003
    North America
    LeBlanc was excellent in goal. Too bad she is not the starter. But right now the good side of things is that Canada can start playing soccer with old man Pellerud finally booted out. Hope they get a woman coach next.

8. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Toepunt, sometimes (actually always) I wonder how much you think before you post.

1. Show me a quote that says Pellerud was booted out. My understanding is that he decided to leave at the end of his current contract.

2. Canada might start playing better soccer, but a more likely scenario is that the CWNT fades into the obscurity it came from. Who is this miracle person who is going to run the women's program and coach the team with the puny budget Pellerud had to work with? Is anyone supposed to be comforted by the notion that the rediculously disfunctional CSA is going to select the next coach?

3. If Kerfoot pulls his support, there won't be enough money to do much of anything. No residency program, no hosting, a smattering of camps from time to time and that's about it. How is any coach supposed to develop a team under those conditions?

4. What does the gender of the coach have to do with anything? Besides being sexist, it doesn't make any sense. As long as the coach is good, the gender is irrelevant.

9. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flashback to 2002 Gold Cup Final!

Early on in the game today, when I saw the rain falling on the players, it made me think back to the 2002 Gold Cup Final at the Rose Bowl. I was thinking good it was that the field at the Olympics would be in good condition during and after the rain, allowing the US to still use a possession game (in 2002 it had to be long balls because of all the standing water on the field.)

There are a number of parallels, and a lot more complete opposite situations:

Parallels
    Canada vs US
    2-1 extra time win
    Winning goal scored by a substitute
    Hard rain
    Best US player didn't play (in first 90 minutes)

Divergences
    Rose Bowl pitch in horrible condition - mini lakes all over the place
    No lightning close to Rose Bowl
    Rained long time before, during, after the 2002 game
    At night vs daytime
    Small crowd vs large one
    in US vs in China
    US fans soaked - Olympic fans under cover

10. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Put 2 and 2 together for crying out loud. The didn't renew his contract so he "decided" to leave.

A pretty negative way to look at Canadian soccer. It's like you think Pellerud a master genius and there isn't another talented coach out there. His tactics are a decade old and he's held back the Canadian women for years now and he's gone because of it.

Again, there are tons of great people out there, and almost all of whom have a better grasp of tactics and aren't stubbornly wed to what worked for them 15 years ago.

Feel free to wear the doom and gloom, but I can assure you the glass is at least half full.

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001

I hear April's looking for something to do ... Heck, they could pip the Gals and get the Gargoyle!

12. toepunt

toepunt Member

Aug 24, 2003
    North America
    Thank you Law10. You took the words out of my mouth.

Just to add that by suggesting a female coach I am not being sexist. I believe it may be prudent and a drastic change. There are many top ranked female coaches and it may be easier to find rather than getting a male coach in decline that the only thing left for them is to coach women. If for no other reason, I believe women understand women better and who knows, they may be able to perceive things more clearly.

13. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What's disappointing is this Canadian team could have won a silver medal. Luck was on their side, all they had to do was beat the US. They had the skill, but their style of play is so ineffective. Practically handcuffing the skilled players.

All would have been well, with their style of play had the defense and midfield performed their duties. The defense was playing like a 6 year old girls, the midfield wasn't even trying. Canadian girls played bad, that's all that needs to be said. They played bad in their system.

A victory over the US would have set them up with 25-1 odds favorite Japan. Possible victory over Japan is a shot at a gold medal and a secure silver.

Oh well.

14. donzerly

donzerly New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Toronto
    Canada couldn't beat Sweden or China, and only managed to beat rookie Argentina by one goal.

I'd have bet on Japan (who beat China 2-0) to knock them out in the semis.

Pellerud is mercifully departing, but unfortunately the CSA is sticking around.

15. purbrookian

purbrookian New Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Hucles was, sorry to say, a disaster. Sundhage must drop her in favor of the classy Wagner for the next match. And please, let Heath stay on the bench playing with her cell phone or whatever. She has no business on a soccer field.

16. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You can look at it this way also: Argentina has improved quickly, Sweden struggled, China was suppose to be better than Canada but they were not, USA was suppose to destroy Canada and it didn't happen.

My point is if the women had given more, such as not allowing the goal in the 2nd half, penalties could have moved them on.

17. toepunt

toepunt Member

Aug 24, 2003
    North America
    Now that the CSA has gotten ridden of the coach I hope they also get rid of the other joker, the team manager. The assistant coach Ian Bridge can easily take over and allow the women to play real soccer. With these jokers gone the money from the CSA will start flowing again.

18. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    wagner is classy and ssslllooowww. she is indubitably an excellent passer, but is unable to even get to the ball enough times to make up for how many times the defender will simply run right by her.

pia loves excellent passers. its her type of game. if wagner was a better fit than hucles (or some people say, lloyd) she wouldn't been warming the bench.

19. donzerly

donzerly New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Toronto
    I reject your suggestion that the Canadian women didn't "give" enough. They knocked themselves out, but couldn't make any headway against a team that was well prepared to deal with Pellerud's high-school tactics.

And the goal they "allowed" was in extra time. Nobody in the stadium was surprised when that happened.

Any strategy that depends on wining a penalty shootout is nothing more than a crap shoot. Besides, USA had the better goal keeper, and the only Canadian who could hit the net was Sinclair. You do the math.

20. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I saw the game differently. In fact, the control they had with the ball compared to game one and two, versus the US was off in sheer contrast.
    In the game against the US, clearances were weak, passes were poorly placed, kicks were weakly taken. The basic were even given a lack of effort in the US game.

The team that played China wasn't the team I saw versus the US. That beautiful setup goal by Kara Lang, and then the poor excuse of ball handling in the USA game, I was disgusted. You don't have to run to pass a ball, so being tired is not much of an excuse.

21. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not true.

Tiredness leads to technical errors too.

22. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    So the USA wins gold. And Canada was able to score on the USA defense where Brazil was not. So much for the notion that the direct style can't score against the better defenses.

Albeit, Canada did not play their best game of the tournament against the USA but it's pretty clear now that even on a bad day Canada was still a worthy 1/4 finalist. All in all, this result shows how ludicrous all the negativity towards the Canadian coach and team really is. In a game that clearly counted, the Canadians took the USA deeper into overtime than Brazil managed.

In the final analysis the nay-sayers are a dime-a-dozen full of cheap rhetoric and little else. Where all the so called Canadian soccer experts and coaches have never produced diddly squat in international soccer, Pellerud came in and delivered the only meaningful international results Canada has ever achieved.

Pellerud has left Canada with something to build on. Hopefully the brain-trust at the CSA don't screw it up.

23. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    It took him long enough ;) but YES he did and I'm very glad he did. But he's been around forever and if the CSA is smart, they'll find someone who can build on what he's done so far and not let it go to waste.

24. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I disagree with your viewpoint. The Brazillians outclassed and out matched the USA team that is technically better than Canada. To use the gold medal final match as a convincing analysis to give an overall assessment of Pellurd's tactics and success with Team Canada is wrong. People with all their dimes and all their cheap rhetoric usually know when something's going up.

It's either painfully obvious you buy into Pellurud's philosophy of play, as dull as it is, with the technical know how of the girls capabilities to be hog tied into such a system. That, or, you may just enjoy mediocre results and mediocre play while the rest of the world who wasn't even playing soccer a decade ago whizzes past us, while Canadian football goes 20 km/per hour on the race. Sure keeping it safe is fun, but the slow and steady doesn't win the race.

PS: Brain trust at CSA? CSA has a brain?... they can barely manage a Canadian team playing in their own backyard or properly run their own department. Surely, you are aware the brunt of jokes this organization has become not only nationally but internationally.

I don't mean to be rude by the way, just being sarcastic. I've haven't slept in several hours.

25. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    FFS, you'd think there was a hundred year history of women's football. Pellerud came in at a time when Canada could not help but produce a half decent football team. It was a monumental failure on his part NOT to advance to the LAST Olympics. He has a gazillionaire bankrolling the whole team. They live, eat and sleep together. And yet they play the worst brand of football on the planet. Girls are leaving the program to go elsewhere. Good riddance.