Pre-match: US v. Bosnia, August 14, 2013

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, Jul 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Evans has certainly earned praise for his goal in qualifier but he's not long term solution. Conor Casey comes to mind. And yes there's some double standards, always has been with Klinsmann's player selection. I hope we're not blinded by the winning streak, for fans to be content with RB situation because the results are coming, I don't understand that.

That being said I do concede that one of Parkhurst/Evans will make the WC squad if Chandler remains out of the picture. But I shudder at the thought of both. And all coaches have favorites.

ckl26 repped this.
  2. TheyCallMeBruce

TheyCallMeBruce Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

I agree with all of this, and I hope it's Parkhurst behind Chandler at the WC (though I'd prefer a healthy 'dolo).

3. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah. They need to give Dzeko to us. We don't seem to have anyone to give in return, though. Maybe they could take Larentowic(z)?

4. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, what about Parkhurst's performances for the USMNT have you shuddering over him playing in a WCQ game? He hasnt played for Augsburg but he played all summer for the NATS in the Gold Cup so it isnt like he's all that out of form and he's hardly put a foot wrong defensively for the US. This seems to be a case of attaching blame or irrational dislike for a player because he isn't (for lack of a better term) a "sexy" option.

5. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well its clear you haven't been watching then. He's defending has been fine. He's an awkward looking player in general. Mindbogglingly thin and frail with an oddly shaped head. Dont let it fool you. Also autocorrect screwed up my last question.

6. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Icky team.

swedust repped this.
  7. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    The Gold Cup was a chance for him to show he's a superior option, playing against watered down competition. He was milktoast. Bedoya was an example of a milktoast player rising up. Parkhurst not so. In fact, looking at player ratings averages, he was the least impressive player who got significant minutes.

Simple Average player ratings for Gold Cup (and Guatemala) games:

Donovan 7.36
    JohnsonS 6.81
    JohnsonE 6.70
    Besler 6.26
    Beckerman 6.25
    Diskerud 6.22
    Rimando 6.09
    Goodson 6.06
    Bedoya 6.05
    Wondolowski 6.00
    Gonzalez 6.00
    Beasley 6.00
    Orozco 5.98
    Corona 5.97
    Torres 5.76
    Holden 5.72
    Shea 5.58
    Parkhurst 5.56
    Gomez 5.55
    Castillo 5.44
    Beltran 5.42
    Onyewu 5.29
    Bruin 5.00

8. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
  9. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parkhurst didn't impress in the Gold Cup. He was better in the knockout stages, but doesn't provide much going forward. Thought his first half against El Salvador was strong, but many of those teams allowed a lot of space that he didn't take advantage of.

True that he's played this summer for the US but his club situation is worrisome. If he isn't playing by January then he needs to move or be dropped from the national team. Weaker league in Denmark but that's when he was in his best form.

Evans completed like one forward pass against Panama in Seattle. Looked uncomfortable with going too far up the right flank.

Evans/Parkhurst are 2nd-3rd options. MLS RB's like Yedlin, Sarkodie, Farrell, Loyd, Williams, Myers must wonder what Evans is doing that they're not. Can't blame Evans for taking advantage of his opportunity though.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    But they don't have TWO Johnsons. :D

11. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Icky-Icky-Icky-Ptang-Zoop-Boing

FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.
  12. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  13. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ickey Shuffle?

Parkhusrt performed pretty well in UCL action when he got the chance in group. Until proven otherwise, this is a level higher than Evans has proven he can perform well at. This friendly may be Evans' chance to match that. But for right now, that's why I'd rate Parkhurst ahead of Evans. Though lack of PT at club is a bit worrisome for Parkhurst going forward, he should be in fine form right now.

14. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    The USA should try to be aggressive and not sit back tomorrow, because if that projected line up is correct we are missing 3 out of 4 regular starters on our back line.

bosna10 repped this.
  15. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    "Bacon" is :) when Klinsy told him that he will play tomorrow!

[​IMG]

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  16. bosna10

bosna10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    The only guy i worry about is Vrsajevic. He isn't a starter and even though he has decent pace i'm not sure about his decision making. I think similarly about Zukanovic as well. Vranjes and Mujzda would be huge upgrades for sure. With Salihovic i'm not too worried as Lulic usually comes back to help out on that side. :)

17. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about this. We give them, Tyler Deric, backup keeper on the Dynamo. Seth Sinovic on Sporting KC, and get Canada to throw in Ante Jazic for Dzeko.

18. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    I worry a little about Salihovic because he's isn't a natural defender, and is really slow, Lulic will have to track back a lot.

bosna10 repped this.
  19. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman, Konut, dlokteff and 2 others repped this.
  20. William Penn

William Penn Member+

Jul 2, 2010
    Bethlehem
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In Polish "wicz" would be pronounced the same as "vić". Just a difference in orthography.

21. bosna10

bosna10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Yeah but that's why Susic is putting up such an offensive lineup. Not 1 defensively minded midfielder on there. That front 6 is going to keep them very busy and we know how much energy Lulic has..Goes up and down the field with ease it seems...I don't expect it to be exactly like this vs Slovakia.

22. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Am I the only one that thinks they look like father and son? Closer resemblance than Bob and Mikey.

23. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't think I'd go as far as closer resemblance than bob and Mikey but they do look like they could be father and son.

Tom Collingsworth and Alexisonfire repped this.
  24. Bosnian Diamond

Bosnian Diamond Member+

Aug 9, 2011
    Mars
    Club:
    FK Velez
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina

Tyler Deric and Seth Sinovic:D hahaha

they ain't Baaznian

25. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no dog in this race outside of hoping the best player gets on the field next summer whom ever it is.

That being said, I have two points

1) if you have to out right lie to help your arguement, your arguement is likely pretty weak

2) if you have to out right lie, you should make sure the stats are not easily found

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2013-06-11-usa-v-pan/chalkboard