News: US to Play Canada in Toronto in June

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by RUfan, Feb 20, 2013.

1. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Im not so sure Id try this. Sure if it's another great game CSA wins big time but what if it isnt? If this goes badly for Canada it could kill their momentum with fans. Sometimes the "big fight" is better as a dream than a reality.

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I see ESPN has moved the game from ESPN2 to ESPNews. Must be a big rodeo that day or maybe BMX. :mad:

sitruc repped this.
  4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I was certain you must have seen that wrong somewhere, but that's what the schedule says.:eek: Since when does ESPNews carry live events? It's often used if something is going over the time slot on another channel, but I don't think they even put college football on that channel. At least it's on a HD channel unlike Classic.

//Do either Classic or News come with most basic cable packages anymore?

5. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    French Open tennis?

6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    ah...we have a winner.

I looked for the subscriber numbers for the difference between ESPN2 and ESPNews but couldnt find them. On my system ESPNews is on a different tier and Id be pretty sure it is on most cable systems. Id guess this move cuts potential viewers by a good percentage.

7. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I'd think 2/3 at least.

But one must remember that, although things are improving, ESPN's commitment to women's soccer is more to develop a future revenue stream than to make any profits at present.

(And I have satellite, so I'm covered.:D )

8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    ESPN interest in women's soccer seemed to revolve around WWC which I dont think they own any more. It's not just them. NBCsports seems to run hot when they can use USWNT as an Olympic tie in but much cooler the rest of the time. Im still curious about the NWSL tv coverage. Ud think whoever has that would be looking to pick up USWNT games as well as a nice cross promotion. Id also think FOXSoccer would have wanted this because they have the 2015 WWC.