Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines

US Soccer - goodbye Clint, hopefully goodbye Carlos

By Dan Loney on Aug 29, 2018 at 1:18 PM
    Clint Dempsey is calling it a day. As in, this very day.

Well, he's a mercurial fellow, is Deuce. Dempsey was fabulously talented and dangerous, and also utterly fearless. Absolutely part of what we like to think of the grand tradition of brave, determined US soccer players, from Patenaude to McBride. Only more talented – sorry, Brian. He would without doubt hold the US men's national team goal-scoring record were it not for his heart ailment in 2016, and the team's complete implosion the year after. Russia should have been his swan song, not mid-season in fifth place.

Oh, Lord, that goal against Ghana.

Dempsey will do exactly what he decides he wants to do – er, unless what we wants to do is win a Best Rap Performance Grammy. But I want to see him coach. He might be great at it, he might be terrible, but for once we'd justify having a game camera trained on the bench at all times.

I'd say he'd be great as a media personality, but what we would get is the replica from Stepford Industries, so, no thanks. I'd rather see him keep screaming at players and refs.

This is a formal call for US Soccer President Carlos Cordeiro to either apologize, or resign.

….for what? Please tell me you don't get your news from me.

I was going to lead with this, but Clint Dempsey announced his retirement, and Dempsey is a lot more important and made a lot more contribution than Carlos Freaking Cordeiro.

So FIFA emperor Gianni Infantino, with Cordeiro in tow along with his other minions, lackeys and henches of all gender, met in the Oval Office with the President on the United States. Whose name completely escapes me at the moment. The occasion was to celebrate Mexico and Canada hosting World Cup 2026, and the United States granting permission for FIFA to travel through American airspace for the occasion.

They gave the President a jersey, of course. The only reason to be President is for the sports gear, after all. But Infantino decided a nice comedy gift would be referee cards.

In other words, it was just a little garbage photo-op, until Cordeiro decided he was sick of not having any lines.

Cards.PNG

Trump! President Trump! ….doesn't ring a bell.

I'm not calling for the President to resign, because…just between you and me…I don't think he would if I asked.

I also don't think Infantino should resign, because according to the transcript, he didn't do anything wrong. He's a pro at this, because you don't get anywhere near the position of King of Football without being really, really, good at managing publicity stunts with potentates.

Also, I'm pretty sure Infantino could have me killed with impunity. Out of everyone in that room, Infantino was easily the most powerful, and I don't think there was a close second.

But it wasn't Infantino who brought up any touchy controversies. It also wasn't Trump, technically. All he did was clown around with the cards. It was that idiot Cordeiro who decided he was Harvey Korman.

MR. CORDEIRO: The next media session.

Carlos, you have only have two jobs. And both of them are to SHUT THE HELL UP.

I think I can make a non-partisan case for why Cordeiro needs to apologize or resign. Let's see if I can do this.

MR. CORDEIRO: The Tea Party.

MR. CORDEIRO: The Freedom Caucus.

MR. CORDEIRO: The Benghazi committee.

MR. CORDEIRO: Whitewater investigators.

I'm not mad that the head of the United States Soccer Federation is meeting with the President of the United States. It's unavoidable.

Well, unless the sport is so obscure that meeting with the President is not an option. Stop bringing up Thunderdome. We're beyond Thunderdome.

You have to meet with the President. You cannot endorse the President.

Because the President of the US can be partisan, but the President of the USSF cannot.

Carlos Cordeiro can, of course. And as a private citizen, I encourage him, along with everyone, to participate in the political process to further our great nation.

The United States National Teams need to represent the entire nation, not simply those who are in power. At the moment, they don't – I don't think that's a partisan statement. Cordeiro needs to get one of the following: a change of heart, a vow of silence, or an updated resume.

Dempsey's timing may help take the heat of Cordeiro's idiocy, but it really shouldn't. The man needs to expand the game, especially in places where the endorsement of Washington won't exactly cut much ice. If Cordeiro doesn't or won't understand that, he's the wrong man for the job no matter what his politics are.

Kenobi, bungadiri, mschofield and 5 others repped this.
?

Should Landon Donovan keep playing for a team somewhere in 2019?

1. What? Why? And who cares? Unless...wait, a minute, Dempsey retired, which means....

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. ...if Landon doesn't play in 2019 he and Dempsey will be on the same Hall of Fame ballot! *CARNAGE*

9 vote(s)
    60.0%

Comments

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Dan Loney, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
      Staff Member

Orlando City SC
      Apr 30, 2009
      Miami, FL
      Club:
      Orlando City SC
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

So apparently it's the season for beef...first Nicki Minaj on(off?) her meds, then Eminem, now this:

**grabs popcorn, waits for Loney's diss track**

2. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
      France.

Sarcasm right? Obama was funny. At his funniest, Trump is kinda Rodney Dangerfield/Fred Flintstone?

3. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
      France.

Anyway, If McBride was better than Deuce then Jeff Cunningham was better than Clint Dempsey. Nice. I knew he should have got more caps.

4. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
      Cincilluminati
      Club:
      Los Angeles Sol
      Nat'l Team:
      Philippines

In absolute and total fairness, we have met, but there is absolutely no reason for him to remember me - I was basically an anonymous fan (like that's changed), he's met hundreds if not thousands in similar circumstances, and I just listened to him hold forth. This was also holy crap years ago, though.

I was a huge fan at the time, and I pretty much was until the USSF election. I think Wynalda's behavior during the campaign was unconscionable, and I have no interest in catching up with him, either.

5. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
      England
      Aug 13, 2007
      US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
      Club:
      Manchester United FC
      Nat'l Team:
      England

All politics aside, dear lord do I disagree with this post.

IMHO Obama wins hands-down in terms of charisma,wit and oratory skill.

I will say that Trump is better at pushing buttons through slogans and bombast.

6. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
      England
      Aug 13, 2007
      Club:
      Manchester United FC
      Nat'l Team:
      England
      #31 barroldinho, Sep 6, 2018
      Last edited: Sep 6, 2018

Does Wynalda realise that he's engaging with a guy who compares the struggles of lower league US teams to the struggles of CivIl Rights Movement-era African Americans, has a track record of making jibes about caste systems to people of Indian heritage, tried to use the Chapacoense plane crash to promote his agenda and has been accused on at least one occasion, of attempting to get somebody fired over an online debate?

It baffles me that relatively prominent people continue to give this guy a platform.

Dan Loney repped this.
    7. DumFatAmerican

Manchester United
      Germany
      Jul 27, 2018

Obama was quite bland and boring, I think people are just sucking up to him when they say he's funny. Obama talked once about building Iron man and having an anger translater with that Key & Peele guy. Trump talks about cooking a turkey, hanging out with the queen, invisible F-35 jets, bombastic NATO alliances, tweeting about covfeve, being a stable genius, calling countries shit holes, shitting on Canada, shitting on Germany, calling Kim Jong-un rocket man, threatening the Ayatollah, shitting on Democrats and James Comey, trolling the media basically and making everyone resent him even more. That is a textbook troll. Obama was none of that. And look how Trump talked to those kids, does Obama have that charisma?

8. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
      England
      Aug 13, 2007
      Club:
      Manchester United FC
      Nat'l Team:
      England

I see.

You consider trolls to be charismatic and funny.

Assuming you're not being a very good one now (if so, well played), I can only assume that Obama was too subtle for you.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
    9. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
      Southern Cal
      Club:
      Los Angeles Galaxy
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

Google Obama and kids. Whether you're trolling us or not, it's worth it.

10. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
      The Lubbock Texas
      Club:
      DC United
      Nat'l Team:
      Germany

I can't stand that person who this joke was told in front of, but it's stunningly asinine to be offended by mediocre sycophant humor. I'm not even sure why this would warrant a tweet, much less a half-crazed blog post.

11. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
      Club:
      DC United
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

The bar for what warrants a tweet these days is extremely low.