US roster for the U19 Women's World Championship

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FearM9, Jul 30, 2002.

1. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    http://www.womenssoccer.com/national_teams/320654.html

Jessica Ballweg, Defender - Metuchen, N.J.: The second most capped player on the roster, Ballweg played a key role in Santa Clara University's 2001 NCAA Championship Team and is one of two New Jersey products on the squad.

Rachel Buehler, Defender - Del Mar, Calif.: One of three rising high school seniors on the team, she made a strong run late in the selection process to earn a roster spot for the qualifying team and consistently kept improving to earn her place in Canada. She is one of three San Diego products on the squad.

Lori Chalupny, Midfielder - St. Louis, Mo.: One of the most skillful young players in the country, she has represented the USA at the U-21 and full National Team levels and played in more U-19 matches this year than any other U.S. player. She is headed to the University of North Carolina after the World Championship.

Keeley Dowling, Defender - Carmel, Ind.: Tall, strong and an incredible leaper, Dowling missed the CONCACAF qualifying tournament with an ankle injury, but her leadership and maturity are key in the back for the USA. She will play her sophomore season at Tennessee after the World Championship.

Kendall Fletcher, Defender - Cary, N.C.: One of the most improved players over the past year, the former gymnast is one of the most physical players on the team. She is headed to the University of North Carolina after the World Championship and is one of two North Carolina products on the roster.

Ashlyn Harris, Goalkeeper - Satellite Beach, Fla.: The rising high school junior is the youngest player on the team, but is tremendously acrobatic and is excellent with her feet. Both goalkeepers on the team are Florida products.

Sarah Huffman, Midfielder - Flower Mound, Texas: A steady midfielder, she is physically strong and has an excellent work rate. She is headed to University of Virginia after the World Championship.

Megan Kakadelas, Forward - Carlsbad, Calif.: A fantastically entertaining dribbler, she is whippet quick and a non-stop runner. She was named Pac-10 Freshman of the Year in 2001 for USC but has transferred to Santa Clara, where she will play her sophomore season after the World Championship. She is one of three San Diego products on the roster.

Manya Makoski, Midfielder - Trumbull, Conn.: After overcoming some nagging injuries, she will be healthy and ready for Canada. Speedy and a slick dribbler she is headed to Arizona State after the World Championship.

Jill Oakes, Midfielder - West Hills, Calif.: A dominating player in the midfield or in the back, the Gatorade High School Player of the Year from Harvard-Westlake is headed to UCLA after the World Championship. She trained with the full national team in Minnesota in preparation for the match against Norway on July 21.

Heather O'Reilly, Forward - East Brunswick, N.J.: With a tireless will to run and an insatiable hunger for the goal, O'Reilly forms part of the new "Triple-Edged Sword." The rising high school senior with world-class speed earned her first three caps for the full U.S. national team at the Algarve Cup in March. She is one of two New Jersey products on the roster.

Leslie Osborne, Midfielder - Menominee Falls, Wis.: As a freshman, she played a major role for the Santa Clara Broncos in their run to the NCAA title last season, scoring 13 goals with 17 assists. She can play on all three lines for the USA.

Megan Rivera, Goalkeeper - Miami, Fla.: A feisty 'keeper with the ability to make a big save, she will be a sophomore at Auburn in the fall and forms the other half of the USA's Florida goalkeeping duo.

Annie Schefter, Midfielder - Yakima, Wash.: A versatile midfielder with tremendous playmaking ability, good heading and scoring bite, Schefter emerged in 2002 as a valuable player for the U-19s. She is headed to Notre Dame after the World Championship.

Amy Steadman, Defender - Brevard, N.C.: Came back strong from ACL surgery to make the team after not being quite ready for CONCACAF Qualifying. The nifty flank player can play in the back or in the midfield. She left high school early to enroll at UNC and will play her freshman season after the World Championship. She is one of four North Carolina products on the roster.

Lindsay Tarpley, Forward - Kalamazoo, Mich.: An extremely sharp blade on the new "Triple-Edged Sword," Tarpley will captain the team. She has scored 18 goals in 20 U-19 internationals.

Kelly Wilson, Forward - Odessa, Texas: Strong and fast, the third edge of the new "Triple-Edged Sword" can run at a defense from both flanks and up the middle. She scored against England at the Algarve Cup in her first-ever appearance for the full U.S. Women's National Team. The Big-12 Rookie of the Year for Texas, she was named NSCAA Second-Team All-American, and has 22 goals in 14 U-19 full international matches.

Angie Woznuk, Forward - El Cajon, Calif.: Extremely skillful and possessing more attacking bite than one would expect from a player her size, she played extremely well in the last few U-19 events to earn her spot as one of the five forwards. She is the third San Diego product on the roster.

2. Upper90. Inc.

Upper90. Inc. New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Who knows?

So where will Bueler and Woznuk be going to school? I am sure by now they are already verbally committed. Stanford? UCLA? Or maybe Portland?

someone fill us in. We got the scoop on the rest of the youngers.

3. shmigle08

shmigle08 New Member

Nov 6, 2000
    NC

4. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. SomebodyOrOther

SomebodyOrOther BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 8, 2002
    Over here!
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I'd heard Ballweg had "retired" from the U-19 team. Perhaps because this tournament will not conflict with school as much (plus, it IS the World Championships, so it's a pretty cool opportunity to play) she's changed her mind, at least temporarily?

I'm happy because I like Ballweg. :D

6. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    Re: Re: US roster for the U19 Women's World Championship

Jess went to Union Catholic HS & Heather goes to East Brunswick HS.

I played against Jess my freshman year. I played against Heather my freshman and sophmore year & I will this upcoming year.

7. shmigle08

shmigle08 New Member

Nov 6, 2000
    NC
    Re: Re: Re: US roster for the U19 Women's World Championship

Never played against Union Catholic, but I can't stand East Brunswick HS because of an old softball rivalry my junior year.

8. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    from fear9:
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ashlyn Harris, Goalkeeper - Satellite Beach, Fla.: The rising high school junior is the youngest player on the team, but is tremendously acrobatic and is excellent with her feet. Both goalkeepers on the team are Florida products.
    she's only 16, but she's the tallest player on the team (according to the ussf). wow!

also from fear9:
    Megan Kakadelas, Forward - Carlsbad, Calif.: A fantastically entertaining dribbler, she is whippet quick and a non-stop runner. She was named Pac-10 Freshman of the Year in 2001 for USC but has transferred to Santa Clara, where she will play her sophomore season after the World Championship. She is one of three San Diego products on the roster.
    question:
    doesn't the ncaa require you to skip (lose) a playing year when you switch schools? i seem to remember that you can't play for usc in basketball one year, for example, and then play for santa clara in basketball the next year. somebody help me out here!!

9. Upper90. Inc.

Upper90. Inc. New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Dallas
    There is another thread in the USA national team threads that discusses this. The rule is as you state, but it does allow the Athletic Director at the departed college to grant a wiaver. Seems to me that girls are much more successful than guys at getting a waiver, but I have no clue as to the whys.

10. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    Re: Re: Re: Re: US roster for the U19 Women's World Championship

When we played Union Catholic, Jess was the obvious standout, but we still beat them :). I go to Piscataway HS and we have a really bad rivalry with East Brunswick. Last year I gave Heather a bloody nose(I didnt mean to but she was getting nasty on the fouls) and my dad was fortunate enough to get it on tape. Everytime we play EB, its always a huge fight & noone cares who gets hurt. Its definatly a war.

11. shmigle08

shmigle08 New Member

Nov 6, 2000
    NC
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: US roster for the U19 Women's World Championship

Piscataway, huh? I went to Carteret HS. I think back then we only played you all in an out of division b-ball game and possibly in the county tourney for softball. Are you in the red or white division? I know we're in the blue for some sports and white for the others.

12. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    We are in the Red division for all sports.

13. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  14. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ

15. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U.S. Women Are Team to Beat

16. thegoofy1

thegoofy1 New Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Good news! I'm glad we'll be able to follow along online at least. If they really appreciated us fans, they'd do an audio broadcast on the net ;)

17. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of U19 players are featured in the latest ussoccerfan newsletter.

18. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    http://santaclarabroncos.ocsn.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/081402aaa.html

19. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    Just to stick this in here..
    http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=20709&itype=

20. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Does anyone have any matches to upload online?
    I would like to see some action from this first ever tournament.