US Roster for Mexico

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bshredder, Feb 8, 2009.

1. DestroyerDaMarc

Dec 8, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel that we can only play tactically with that over lapping run. As much as I sometimes dislike Bradley's tactics, the overlapping runs is something we need hands down and with that idea means we cant have a liability out on the wings. Beasley gives us just as much if not more width then Rogers or any other wide mid but his crossing is what is suspect. I feel that USMNT fans need to accept that the overlapping run is one offensive tactic we cant do without.

All great sides use it in international play minus Italy, so if we are to take that next step we need it.

2. ProfZim1

ProfZim1 New Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Hayward, CA
    Agreed. I find it curious that we only have one true centerback to back up Gooch and Boca and Edu can play centrally in both midfield and defense.

3. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Overlapping runs is a great tactic. I agree that we need it as it helps us add another dimension to our attack.

4. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the camp when I was there Bornstein and Rogers they were paired up constantly and were working on overlaps which got better and better by the final scrimmage. Bornstein started playing balls into space for Robbie resulting in some pretty plays. It took them some time but they started playing well as a side.

5. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do people really think Bob is gonna give Sasha the start in a game of this magnitude? I think he sticks with a vet workhorse like Clark and saves Sasha off the bench.

6. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    I disagree. I don't think Bradley is going to leave Torres and Kljestan on the bench.

7. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By this logic John O'Brien should get a call-up. The kid's not playing, at all. Until he is, he shouldn't be there, no matter what he did in the past.

8. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Torres hasn't played enough for the nats yet to start v. mexico and Sasha let remeber has only just started playing and most are punch drunk over his hat trick.

I doubt Torres even sees the field. Sasha comes in late if we need to go offensive.

I just dont see Bradely doing anything but two box to box guys in Bradley and Clark to start this game, control the tempo and force Mexico wide.

9. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we could plug in Adu from the Olympics, absolutely. As of now, I have no idea what kind of form or match shape he's in, so I'd take any of the three over him.

10. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though I'm not shocked, I thought Adu would be on the roster.

We have plenty of guys who aren't seeing much action (Beasley, Pearce, Guzan) or are out of season (all the MLS players).

Freddy is the most creative player we have, and down a goal late, I'd much rather have him in there than Davies, or Rogers, or especially Torres or Clark. I don't think anyone can disagree here (except maybe on Davies).

The thing the BB doesn't do well, is adjust tactically. If we are down a goal late, we need to adopt a more aggressive formation, some options

1) Pull a defender and go with a five man mid with Adu as the CAM.
    2) Pull a defender and go 3-4-3 with Adu wide left at the top.
    3) Pull Bradley and go with Kljestan and Adu in CM

I also think Freddy would do well in the Christmas tree 4-3-2-1.

--------------Howard-----------
    Hejduk--Gooch----Boca--Pearce
    --Deuce/Sacha--Bradley--Beasley
    ------Donovan-----Adu---------
    ------------Ching---------------

Sub in Jozy for Ching at one point.

You could play it a little more defensively and go with Clark in the middle, Bradley on the right and Torres on the left, with Donovan and Deuce/DMB behind Ching.

Still, our coach is too tactically predictable to do anything of the sort.

11. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Six months is not six years.

Neither are Pearce or Beasley and the MLS guys are out of season and not playing either.

I'm not saying start him.

Rogers' and Davies' form is poor, judging from the Sweden game

12. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My lineup for this game is as follows:

------------------Ching-------Donovan------------------

-----------------------Dempsey------------------------

Beasley------------------Clark-------------------Kljestan

------Pearce-----Gooch------Boca------------Bornstein---

-----------------------Howard---------------------------

My subs would likely be Altidore, Wynne, and/or Torres depending on the flow of the game.

13. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Out of the three, Torres is the only one who has played any significant minutes during the past couple months (so how do you have any idea what sort of form or match shape Rogers and Davies are in???); and he is hardly an offensive catalyst.

14. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Bob's had them in camp for a month, does that count? It's good money at least one if not both will be cut from the game-day roster anyway.

I watched Torres today for Pachuca. I'd say if he were brought in, he'd be ideal to make the final pass against a team determined to defend.

15. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always disagreed on this, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I don't think it's a slam dunk either way.

16. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm agnostic on Clark vs. Kljestan. I know what I'd do, but I have no idea what Big Bob will do. Chris Armas' retirement sort of ruined my ability to predict his other central midfield selection. :)

17. Regal

Regal Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I would take Adu over Torres , Rogers, Davies any time. I'm beginning to wonder if Torres is truly an impact player, based on what I saw of him.

18. Aaryque

Aaryque Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Norcal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. All I was saying was IF you are going to play a Boca at LB who isn't really going to excel in that tactic THEN you have to play a Left Midfielder who can get up and down the wing and pour in crosses. While I like Beasley (and Torres and Kljestan and etc.) that isn't really his game. His game is in playing combinations with teammates to the inside and making darting, diagonal runs behind the defense rather than sticking to the touchline. In that sense he doesn't really force the defense to play sideline to sideline as much as someone who hugs the line, can beat a defender 1v1 and put in an effective cross. NOTE: This is not a knock on Beasley. It is merely an assessment of his strengths & weaknesses and a thought on how those attributes effect the tactical decisions/play of the team.

My main point is that you need to get width and crosses out of someone on each side be it the FB or the M (preferably both but we just don't have that many people who can cross).

19. oshman800

oshman800 Member

Sep 17, 2007
    so is Hejduk basically guaranteed to start?

20. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Sad, isn't it?

He's a nice guy and all, but I sure would have hoped we'd be beyond him at this point.

21. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Adu is better at that than any player in our pool. Also, Adu actually has the ability to get on the end of a pass and score a goal every now and then. I like what I see from him in central midfield, but I'm not buying Torres as a goal scorer or a big assist man.

All that said, I on't have a problem with Torres making the roster over Adu. I have a problem with Rogers and Davies making it over Adu.

My guess is Adu's omission has more to do with his lack of playing time than his abilities on the field, which calls into question most of this roster.

22. mick357

mick357 New Member

Apr 29, 2005
    Los Angeles
    The Christmas tree:

----------Howard----------
    -Hejduk-Onyewu-Boca-Pearce-
    --Kljestan-Bradley-Beasley--
    ----Demsey - Donovan----
    -----------Ching-----------

Slide Frankie left with Wynne in if LB's are overwhelmed.
    Altidore for Ching at 70.
    Clark for KJ or Beas if we need more bite at mid.

At WC 2010, I think BB will want Wynne and Spector at fullback as these 2 have the most upside, and Altidore for Ching. He'll use the non-Mexico qualifiers to get those three ready.

23. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While there is a strong argument for Adu to be on the roster, the idea of him starting is a joke. In terms of attacking players, he can't replace Ching, Donovan is better right now, Dempsey actually plays in the best league in the world and Klejstan just registered a hat trick. It's him or Beasley then (if BB is feeling adventurous and uses Klejstan in central midfield) and even if Beasley lacks as much match fitness as Adu, he at least will run all day and open up space for Donovan and Dempsey. While Adu is useless if his moves and touches are not sharp.

As to the roster issue, the fact remains that Adu, for all his potential and flashes in friendlies, has never made much of an impact at the club level, even in MLS. Adu has too much talent to allow this to continue and BB's decision to leave him off the roster, even though as others point out that there are some situations where he might help the USMNT in this specific game, is the right thing to do to try and change this terrible dynamic -- either through giving Adu more time at his club to impress his coach or to send a message to Adu that he needs to change his club situation somehow, or both.

24. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Altidore starts over the GHD, i'll do a backflip of happiness.

25. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hejduk has trouble with Arjen Robben -- Pearce has trouble with Crew reject Rodriguez. So, no I don't agree that Pearce is stronger defensively than Hejduk.