Rumor: US player on trial with Hammarby

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by gvsu, Nov 25, 2010.

1. gvsu

gvsu Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Hi;

a "secret" American player is currently on trial with Swedish 2nd division club Hammarby - where Charlie Davies played until his move to France (and before Hammarby's relegation).

It might be a nobody but since Hammarby is 49% owned by AEG and former Galaxy player Chris Klein just took place on the board of directors we are kinda hoping for something more interesting. Anybody?

2. soonertony

soonertony Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Klein is on the Hammarby board of directors? Am I completely out of it for not having heard about this?

3. gvsu

gvsu Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Don't know about coverage in the US press, but it was kind of big news in Sweden - "Beckham's Buddy" and all...

4. Corn

Corn Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Yes he is.
    AEG has 3 out of 7 chairs.
    Earlier Per Magnusson (AEG) had one seat and mandate for the two other seats.
    But this fall/winter AEGs put Ninna Engberg and Chris Klein on the two other chairs.

How Chris is going to solve this logistically and what the heck he is going to contribute with, we (Hammarby supporters) have no clue about...

Back on topic, who is the american (forward?) that is doing trials with Hammarby?

Where is Freddy Adu right this moment...? :p

5. gvsu

gvsu Member

Oct 10, 2006
  6. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know anything about him but from searching the internet, he's the son of Jimmy Banks, former USMNT player and member of the '90 World Cup team.

He has a youtube highlight reel too

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvdiXc543wk"]YouTube - JC Banks Highlight Tape[/ame]

7. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From his bio:
    PERSONAL
    Son of Jimmy and Constance Banks ... father was a professional and US National Team soccer player ... undecided on major

How can a college senior still be undecided on his major? There is only 1 more semester until he should be graduating.

8. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He says he's a history major in the video above.

9. Pinowski AP

Pinowski AP Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope this young history major can write some major history at Hammarby.

10. TheBrand

TheBrand Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's got it. Definitely gonna keep my eye on this thread.

11. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That part of his bio probably hasn't been updated since freshman year.

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Jimmy is a Milwaukeean (say ain't'a hey).

His kid is in Green Bay.

Doesn't UWM still have a solid NCAA soccer program?

Jmmy was there during the Bob Gansler era in the mid-80.

You'd think his kid would be able to get there too.

If he were any good, that is.

13. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    JC Banks has real legitimate skills. I played against him in club soccer on occasion. I really hope he makes it, he could develop into quite a good player in the right hands.

He was apart of the FC Milwaukee team that finished 2nd back to back years at nationals. Same team that had Ethan Finley of Creighton.

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    News to me.

As for JC Banks, he was a good college player. Probably more of a midfielder as a pro. As noted, has pretty good genes. His father, Jimmy Banks, played in the 1990 World Cup for the US and earned 36 caps for the US.

I won't be surprised if he sticks at Hammarby but don't expect him to be a star.

15. 1992LuckyTown

1992LuckyTown New Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    :eek: a big news in Sweden no not at all of course maybe if you hardcore Hammarby supporter otherwise no it is in no papers.

16. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Sweden still has a limit of 3 non-EU players?

PS. Chris Klein was a "lockerroom leader" type and someone everyone on the Galz listened to.

18. notar

notar New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Club:
    Hammarby IF
    sidefootsitter
    I think the rule about max 3 non-EU player has been replaced with a minimum rule of 50% "home grown players" of the total, and minimum 2 "home grown players" playing in every match.

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    notar, is that a recent change?

Because, if true, this makes the Swedish league a lot more appealing for the US players.

20. notar

notar New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Club:
    Hammarby IF
    sidefootsitter

I think the Swedish Football Association decided on this back in December 2007.
    I'm not sure if it took effect in 2008, but in the current rules for 2010, I can´t find anything about limitation of non-eu players, except this home grown player rule.
    Home grown player means that the player must have played for a Swedish club at least three years in the age of 15-21.

21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Me thinks there'd be some Yanks headed your way (there'd be more but Alsvenskan doesn't really pay much better than MLS, if at all).

22. soccerology

soccerology Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solid player - coached against him. Very good 1v1 skills, crafty going forward. Athletic.

All-American in the past, not sure about this year as UWGB didn't make the tourney.

23. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    [​IMG]

JC Banks (called "The Youtube Yank" by the local media) has now also had a trial with swedish second divison club Degerfors IF.

He had this to say afterwards:

I think I did ok. The pace is higher then I'm used to and the ball is harder then the ones used indoors in the US. So it took me some time to get used to it and I missed some chances. Since I got to college I've improved and gotten faster. I'm also pretty technical and like to keep the ball moving. Degerfors have told me that they are looking for a number 10 and that's the role I played in my college team.

My father helps me with contacts, I don't have an agent yet. I want to play in europe, it's better for my development. It will be harder in the beginning but in the long run I can reach bigger success that way. I think my chances of getting a contract in Sweden are good. Hammarby wanted to see more of me and next I'm having a trial with
    Trelleborgs FF. I hope to start in Sweden and then move up to the bigger leagues. I want to go as high as I can.

The Degerfors coach had this to say about JC Banks:

He was a bit too careful in the beginning but he improved. He's very quick and a good footballer. Size doesn't matter in his role. The important part is being quick and creative. We will get to know each other over a couple of days. If we are going to sign him we need to make sure that he will be a guaranteed starter and improves the team.

24. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    [​IMG]

"The Youtube Yank" took part in a 75-minute test game yesterday to evaluate the five trialists at Degerfors. In the game he scored one goal (by chipping the keeper) and also had one assist as his team won 3-2. Apparantly Degerfors have two people on trial who they are choosing between to be their new number ten - JC Banks and Holter (a swedish guy who also scored in todays game).

The coach had this to say:
    Both players performed really well. They are different types, JC Banks is quicker while Holter is more comfortable with the ball. We're testing both players and are happy with them. We have two more sessions and then we'll evaluate.