US Open Cup - Rigged

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by BirisNorte, May 3, 2009.

1. BirisNorte

BirisNorte New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Boulder, Colorado
    Oh look the Rapids play the next round of the US Open Cup on the road.... again. In fact, the Rapids have played 7 of their 26 all time cup games on the road. And location is determined by a coin flip? Please, the match hosting format is completely fixed and is determined by who will draw a larger audience. It's no surprise that the Sounders - Rapids game is being played in Seattle because they will clearly will have a much larger spectator turnout. That means more recognition and revenue for the US Open Cup. This tournament is completely bias, as evident by the rapids cup history where they have only played around 25% of Cup games in Colorado.

Although the Rapids generally draw small crowds and it is possible cup games are not played at Dick Sporting Goods Park because it would cost more to host the game than ticket sales would generate, to say the location of games is decided by a coin flip is a joke. The US Open Cup is fixed, plan and simple.

2. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle will almost certainly play the game at Starfire, which has a capacity of 3,000.

So the Rapids could have outdrawn that. I haven't looked over their past home games to be able to say for sure. But there's no guarantee that Seattle would draw better than the Rapids.

In other words, bullhockey.

Coins sometimes do really annoying things.

3. MountainHawk

MountainHawk New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Salem, MA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The odds of having 7 or less home games out of 26 games, assuming a fair coin, is about 1.5%. Not likely, but not out of the realm of all things possible.

4. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only the play-in games go by a coin flip. In the actual tournament proper, there's a bidding process. So blame your front office.

And if you think Colorado is bad, I don't think New York have hosted a USOC game since the 2004 final! And that won't change unless we win the final round qualifier AT D.C. United.

However, if you want to maintain the cup is fixed, that's a hell of an allegation. Potentially libelous in fact. If you really believe it, send a letter to the USSF and whomever else under your real name.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2004 final was in KC... you mean 03?

6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you seriously suggesting that it's rigged, or are you just venting?

7. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can picture both New York and Colorado telling MLS and US Soccer to make sure they don't win the coin flip. Neither of them wanted to host their second round match.

8. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The actual tourney host is determined by the team the bids the highest to host the game. The Dynamo, for example, for the last few years have just stopped submitting serious offers and always play at the USL sides. If you do not own your stadium it is a revenue loss if you try and host a game that will draw under 5k.

9. DoTheVillage

DoTheVillage New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    The last I heard is the game is at Starfire.. which holds 3000+

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/sounders/2009/05/04/sounders_fc_vs_colorado_rapids.html

10. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did, thanks for the correction.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As mentioned...the coin flip is only for the play-in games.

And, until recently, the Rapids played in a stadium that it made zero sense to open up and pay rent to somebody for given the crowds for USOC games.

12. Epikoinos

Epikoinos Soccer player-coach-manager-journalist

Arsenal, Real Salt Lake, Forward Madison
    United States
    Jan 6, 2004
    Oregon, WI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one could argue their current situation is the same ... just with a very nice stadium.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure the rent situation is much, much different where they are now.

They may take a hit hosting a poorly-attended USOC game, but at least they're not paying Pat Bowlen and making it worse (or whoever they paid the rent to in Mile High and then Invesco). It HAS to be a better situation for them.

14. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    would the Rapids actually lose money, or would it be the USSF?

15. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they're rigging the tournament by keeping the Rapids from having a home game, they need to re-assess their definition of rigging.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSF doesn't pay to open your stadium during their tournament.

I believe they USED to pay some expenses for some teams, but they apparently don't do that anymore.

AFAIK, if you're going to host a USOC game at your stadium, you're responsible for the same gameday expenses you would normally incur, which includes rent and all that. My guess is that the Rapids' expenses are slightly less onerous if they no longer (since 2007) include paying rent to whoever they had to pay rent to as a tenant at Mile High Stadium and Invesco.

But that's probably too simple an explanation. Better to just believe that The Man is trying to keep the Rapids down.

17. Rorysm

Rorysm New Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Hidden in a Cave
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting read. From another Rapid fan here, I wonder if maybe we like taking the young guys on the road to see how they do in a tough atmosphere.

But I really wish we'd take it very seriously. I'd like to see the Rapids try to win the cup--our trophy case needs it.