US OPEN CUP: Charlotte @ Wilmington 6/21 [R]

Discussion in 'Wilmington Hammerheads' started by mbsc, Jun 17, 2011.

1. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weather: Calling for isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon (Welcome to summer on the coast...) High in the low 90's, lows around mid 70's.

A rematch of last Saturday nights shutout at the hands (well...feet) of the Eagles, so it won't take much to get everyone up for this one. Looks like the winner of this goes out to Salt Lake City.

2. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No USL Live for tonight's match, but it will be tweeted...

@WilmHammerheads

3. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How's the air quality down there today? In Raleigh, we're blanketed in smoke from both coastal forest fires (code orange). I'm assuming the wind is blowing it away from Wilmington and up to us.

4. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brunswick County (between Wilmington and the SC state line. where I am now) isn't too bad, although it's over 101º and hazy. I'm thinking the wind off the ocean may keep the worst of it out of here.

Hopefully, we'll get some rain one of these days.

5. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations on the comeback win in OT! I wish I could've seen it for myself (the twitter doesn't quite do it for me).

RSL will be a tough nut to crack. Any idea if that game will be "watchable" on the TV or online?

6. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlotte 2 : 3 Wilmington (OT)

A great comeback . After a slow start by the Hammers and great defense from the Eagles, Wilmington put it together in the 2nd half to dominate the end of regulation and overtime. Good performances all around, especially Mulholland, Banks, Aveysan, Budnny and Polak.

I don't expect next Tuesday's game to be shown anywhere, and I think we'll be lucky to even get highlights.

Oh and by the way-- it seems as if the USL has instructed the refs to no longer call handballs. Or so it seems.

7. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Booo! :mad:

How nice of them. :rolleyes:

8. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highlights from the game posted by WWAY..

http://www.wwaytv3.com/video/2011/06/hammerheads-advance-open-cup

They catch the Charlotte offside that resulted in their first score and a shot of owner Bill Rudisill amongst the PCF after the third Hammers score. Still wish they would have caught Luke Mulholland's "dolphin" celebration on video...

9. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much appreciated. Thanks.