US Open Cup 1st Round

Discussion in 'F.C. New York' started by Ed NYC Firm, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I think the Freedoms where the home team. I wasn't there so I can't really say. ( I was in a bit of bother with Mrs Ed NYC Firm so no football for me that night ).

2. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Like I said. I don't know if those are for sale. I haven't really thought about scarves in a summer league.. ;) The only MetroStars scarf I ever had was actually a giveaway.

3. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is anyone actually thinking of going over to NJ for the cup tie on Tuesday? I had given it a moment's thought, especially if the gate money was to be split 50/50 between the two teams (as is done in some other competitions in other countries). But alas, apparently this is not the case, and I've got no desire to give money to the soda ad alone.

4. Socratinho

Socratinho Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Hey guys. I just found out about FC New York, and I was thinking of going to a game soon. Can you just walk up on the day of the game and buy a ticket at Belson Stadium?

5. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Yes, just walk up to the ticket window right at Carneseca arena.

6. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I've decided to hold my nose and give $15 to Energy Drink.. Most likely I'll ask for my tix in section 124 as it's the section that has the most distance to the RB supporters section.

7. Melchior2432

Melchior2432 New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of you who do not wish or cannot go to RBA, there will be a live stream of the game on RBNY's website with the MSG commentators Shep Messing and Steve Cangialosi.

Edit: Please, post your non-Open Cup topics in their own thread.

8. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    According to the club Facebook page. Scarves are in and will be available at the next home match.

9. Socratinho

Socratinho Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Thanks.

10. stupidslap

stupidslap Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bahahaha that made me remember the last open cup game where the other team was having a BBQ during the game.

CARNESECA BOYS FOR LIFE

11. stupidslap

stupidslap Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What happened to Graciano Brito? Did he get hurt?

12. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Got a red card in the Match against the Freedoms in the previous round.

13. Colonel Sounders

Colonel Sounders New Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I couldn't make the game as I am in the process of moving and I also wanted to get a chance to watch the Seattle Open Cup match, but I was following along online. 2-1 is pretty respectable. How many people were at the match?

14. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'd say 3-4k . It was a good turnout. Looked like there were a few more FCNY fans than I've seen at a few home matches this season. Sam Stockley ( one of the players who was out of the squad) was leading a bit of a singing group 1 section over from where I was.

The boys played well and didn't just drop into a bunker. They went forward every and created some chances. When they got the first goal of the match It was absolutely great. The RB supporters when completely quiet and I was jumping around with my buddy as if we had just won Lotto. Disappointing to give up 2 goals after that but the effort was there from FCNY. I'm actually quite proud of the team for last night.

15. AmeriSnob

AmeriSnob Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Queens
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCNY actually had plenty of fans at the game, taking up nearly an entire section. There were also some scattered around the other sections. The only sections tickets were sold for were the 5 midfield sections in the lower bowl and 101, and the midfield sections were very close to sold out it seemed, and 101 was around 3/4ths full. If i were to guess, I'd say around 3000-4000 people were there.

FCNY had their flashes of brilliance, especially on the goal, which even someone as tall as Sutton could not reach.

Also, this:

Capo (AKA some random guy): FC
    Rest (AKA his bros): FC
    Capo: FC New York
    Rest: FC New York
    Capo: Come on you boys in blue
    Rest: Come on you boys in blue
    All: random ********ing noise.

But seriously, I want FCNY to succeed just so New York has a rivalry.

16. Colonel Sounders

Colonel Sounders New Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Something like this?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq2J146riTI"]YouTube - ‪Green Brigade Junior Capo‬‏[/ame]

17. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The "Capo" was our normal on field Captain Sam Stockley

The will be no real "rivalry" between FCNY and the RedBulls, mostly because FCNY is 2 divisions below you.

For the first time since the demise of the Metros. I attended a match involving the RedBulls where it wasn't about rooting against RB, but it was about actively supporting the other team, and it felt great.

18. AmeriSnob

AmeriSnob Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Queens
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like that, Colonel Sounders, but butchered massively as I wrote it. They started doing it after ESC did it. The part after "come on you boys in blue" they just stood up and made noise and waved their hands. Better than the totally real supporters group Straphangers SC, I guess :p

@Ed: I'm hoping this Open Cup game between the two becomes a common thing.

19. Melchior2432

Melchior2432 New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Official attendance at this game was 2,074.

By the way, transitioning to a different song to sing doesn't count us being completely quiet. Especially when your guys only sang when you were winning. :p

20. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'll agree with you there I'd love to make it a yearly clash in the USOC. But let's be honest RB will win 9 out of 10. Just because of the resources that are at your team's disposal as compared to FCNY.

21. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Fair enough.. ;-)

I must say although the conductor thing helps in getting volume and everyone doing the same thing. It just doesn't come across as original or spontaneous as songs used to be in the old Metros 101 in GS. That and you guys really need to get rid of a few of those chants that I thought were Cringeworthy back in 96. I mean you guys are still doing the "You suck asshole" chant?

22. AmeriSnob

AmeriSnob Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Queens
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want this to go off-topic, but YSA is done by pretty much everyone ont that half of the stadium, even up to midfield there are people doing it. Unfortunately it will never go away.

I wasn't in 101 for this game because I had gone with a couple of the directors of Pancyprians and Greek American Atlas (the team that FCNY's keeper used to play for), but I heard a new song this game that went on for quite a while, but I couldn't make out the words.

It was the best game I've seen FCNY play (the other two were the Pancyprians game and the opener against Orlando).

23. Melchior2432

Melchior2432 New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, problem is inertia. There are those like me who don't want to use it but those who do still wins out. Somewhere in there you'll hear me say, "Forza Red Bulls".

As for the capo situation, we do get spontaneous especially when we have three supporters groups. We actually can get different kinds of chants going on at the same time and that's a problem when our goal is to get us all unison. So in the end, we need capos to fulfill that objective.

In the game itself, my friend next to me actually started a chant going yesterday.

And yes, we did use this game to practice new stuff as well.

24. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    That's cool guys. I'm just giving my impressions as I've only been to 3 RB matches since they erased the Metro. 1 in GS against Toronto in their first season. The Tottenham match from last year and this match. I don't mean to sound like I'm taking shots at the SCs..