News: US Olympic squad announced

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by walkingcity, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Orozco can play LB. If we absolutely had to bring someone else in, Michael Harrington maybe? Has played on the youth level for the U.S. and is only 22.

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    You can't bring any unnamed players anymore.

You can only drop those already named.

3. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought they could still change them until the 23rd?

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    By dropping off five out of twenty three and replacing the injured players up and through the final date.

But no more unnamed players outside of the twenty three sent to FIFA.

5. edcrocker

edcrocker Member+

May 11, 1999
    Here are FIFA’s rules on rosters and alternates for the Olympics from Regulations of the Olympic Football Tournament:

Here is a link to the Regulations of the Olympic Football Tournament:

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/regulations_olympics_beijing_2008_en_6198.pdf

The part I quoted is on pages 16 and 17.

Before reading these regulations, I didn’t realize that the alternates list for the Olympics was official or that only a player on the alternates list could replace a player on the 18 player roster.

This rule could be relevant to the US. As others have mentioned in this thread, Nathan Sturgis didn’t dress for Saturday night’s game between RSL and Chicago. On MLSnet.com, he is listed as questionable with an ankle sprain. This is a concern partly because he has played only 118 minutes for RSL this season. If Sturgis is unable to get healthy before the Olympics, who should Peter Nowak replace Sturgis with? If Hunter Freeman were on the alternates list, he would be a good candidate to replace Sturgis. Freeman played during Olympic qualifying, and he played pretty well. Also, he can play both right back and left back. He played left back in the opening game in Olympic qualifying.

However, if Freeman is not an option and Sturgis is unable to go, I don’t know what Nowak should do. I would say replace Brad Guzan and Nathan Sturgis with Frankie Hejduk and Dominic Cervi. In that case, Chris Seitz would be the starting goalkeeper and Brian McBride, Michael Parkhurst and Hejduk would be the overage players. But I don’t know if that is allowed. I think a player is allowed to be replaced if, but only if, he is injured or there is some "force majeure," which I interpret as meaning some kind of extraordinary circumstance beyond the team’s control. Moreover, Nowak couldn’t merely replace Sturgis with Hejduk, because then we would have four overage players.

6. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    I don't think that definition of "force majeure" includes "our dumb ass coach put overage full back on the subs list while we don't have any overage full backs or wingers on the team". So double switch won't work. And that's probably good. As a perspective of Crespi in a goal would be too scary.

7. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harrington's gay haircut should eliminate him from joining the team.
    That is simply atrocious.

8. candle27

candle27 New Member

Aug 20, 2007

9. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Szetela gets pretty fired up in the big matches. I would not be surprised if he scores a few. Hopefully the formation will allow MBradley to get forward like he does at Heereveen. Rogers has gotten much better with his defending under Sigi so you could count on him to pinch towards the center and cover if MB makes a run.

10. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tactical flexibility? Good one! :)

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Apparently it has been decided that Sturgis won't be healthy enough to go in the Olympics and has been dropped from the roster and replaced by Dax McCarty.

http://worldcupway.blogspot.com/2008/07/dax-is-going-to-olympics.html

I like McCarty and think he helps in the midfield but I don't see how he helps out the LB situation.

12. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, so all Americans look the same to you? Nationalityist!!!!!

I'm ok with it. Dax played well when he filled in at RB in the U-20s, so he could fill in if need be.

13. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The blog post has been pulled.

Sorry to shout, but I think it's important enough to be worth the emphasis.

14. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting to see how this shakes out.

15. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Nowak replaced a d-mid/centerback who can play some left back with a central mid.

Interesting.

And Kljestan definately isn't a wingback type for those who have him penciled as such.

17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Nowak played a:

----------adu
    ---holden------kljestan
    ---------bradley

diamond midfield against Ivory Coast in the first half. Don't know what he was thinking. No speed out of midfield. Adu can't play in a two-man central midfield. Kljestan isn't any kind of true right mid.

18. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nowak experimented a bunch of times throughout the match and the formations he did use were attack oriented. One thing he did not use was the empty bucket.

I think it was a good result being that it was our first game and it was against a strong IC squad that had already had a match or two under their belt.

I think the players will figure this out.

19. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Skinny diamond-a Bruce arena favorite pre 2002.

Who were the FBs?

20. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per the thread in the YNT forum, across the back was Orozco-Edu-Parkhurst-Wynne (possibly with Parkhurst and Edu swapped).

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Things reportedly improved when Nowak switched to Bradley, McCarty, and Szetela in central midfield.