US Official Roster

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by DCFAN96, Jun 22, 2007.

1. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Here it is

2007 Copa America Roster By Position
    Goalkeepers (2) – Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Kasey Keller (Borussia Moenchengladbach)
    Defenders (8) – Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Bobby Boswell (D.C. United), Dan Califf (Aalborg BK), Jimmy Conrad (Kansas City Wizards), Jay DeMerit (Watford FC), Drew Moor (FC Dallas), Heath Pearce (FC Nordsjælland), Marvell Wynne (Toronto FC)
    Midfielders (8) – Kyle Beckerman (Colorado Rapids), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Benny Feilhaber (Hamburger SV), Eddie Gaven (Columbus Crew), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Justin Mapp (Chicago Fire), Lee Nguyen (PSV Eindhoven), Ben Olsen (D.C.United)
    Forwards (4) – Charlie Davies (Hammarby IF), Herculez Gomez (Colorado Rapids), Eddie Johnson (Kansas City Wizards), Taylor Twellman (New England Revolution)

Definitely no where near first choice, probably not even second choice. A whole lot of really young guys like Gaven, Feilhaber, Nguyen, Davies, Kljestan, Wynne, Moor, Pearce all 23 years old or younger, and many of whom don't even start for their club team consistently yet. It looks like Bradley is using the Copa America to prep for the Olympics. Six players from teh Gold Cup are called up, none of which have played a significant starting role in most of the games.

I don't think anyone thinks the US will be able to advance with this roster, too many new faces and way too much inexperience.

2. Arango82

Arango82 Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Venezuela
    Club:
    Caracas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    damn got to change my predictions for el mas sabio.

3. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atleast our young guys are gonna get some great experience

Too bad its gonna start with a near full Argentina squad

4. ManUsucks

ManUsucks New Member

May 14, 2007
    NJ
    hahahahahah

[​IMG]

5. ManUsucks

ManUsucks New Member

May 14, 2007
    NJ
    me too

6. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    you can request a deletion of previous prediction and post a new one, with thr big soc time stamp prior to game uru/peru!
    locoxriver an dI will only count recent posts and delete what you request;)

7. maestri09

maestri09 Member+

Jun 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    US is toast. With that lineup I don't know why they're even going. :confused:

8. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    For the same reason everyone has said since we first accepted teh bid. Its an opportunity to give young/new players a chance to not only gain int'l experience but also see if anyone is deserving of another callup during qualification. What other nat'l team will have this type of competition as preparation for the Olympic games? This is a great opportunity for the US, they should take it for what its worth.

9. Legionario

Legionario New Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Kalifas
    I think the USNMT and it's whole staff should tape "it" back. What a cowardly move this is. They know that they have NO CHANCE IN HELL of winning the Copa America. So they call a squad full of kids and nobodys. That way they have a excuse of "we're building our future with this experience."

And You ask "Why do people hate the US team?" It's because of BS moves like this.

Now they can brag about winning the Gold Cup. When for the US team in this competition, it is like the Young Tyson fighting a crippled homeless woman.

10. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    once again, los gringos use a practical move!

win gold cup is far more important
    they get a vert in 'mundial de clubes'

yet, in copa america: gain experience in hostile terroritories and use the future of the nats for the WC qual games (nothing wrong with that, smart move when you see no chance if they repeat a squad like the one yesterday vs canada - tired grp for far more intense competition)

they want the gold cup
    they want to promote the youngster slowly to the main stage!
    do they care about the olympics? nnaaaah, that will be the under 20 partipating this summer in WCcanada, with 3 elders!

11. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Disagree.

The reason that US program is improved is not because they have top players but the deepth is improved.

This team is no much drop off from the so-called frist team.

Goalkeepers:

Keller played in WC 2006. Even though Howard is the top goalkeeper now but Keller still is good enough for Copa.

Guzan is actually pretty good. No much drop.

Defenders:

Conrad played in World Cup against both Italy and Ghana and hold his own pretty good.

DeMerit played in English Premeier League and saw his shares of good forwards like Tevez, etc.

Bornstein is the starting left back for Gold Cup.

Moore is the one who whacked Argentina forward in previous U-20 WC that caused US lose in quaterfinal. That is a big drop from Cherundolo, Hedjuk, Spector, Simak and Albright for sure.

Midfielders:

In the center, Feilhaber and Clark are not worse than Bradley and Mastronei. No drop here.

In left, Mapp is actually better than Beasley. In the right Kljiestan is probably a little weak than Dempsey.

Forwards:

Both Johnson and Twellman played in Gold Cup and both sucked. Actually Davies is so good in his club team that people mistakes him as a Brazilian.

12. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    The problem is that USA cannot secure the European players because Copa is not USA's official competition.

Otherwise, USA probably will take at least Spector and Simak to Copa America.

13. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    If we get a single point off of Paraguay or Colombia, I'll be ecstatic.

Trouble is, our games are right next door to Colombia and they'll have a rabid following.

I'm glad to see no Gooch or Boca--with their "tackling" they wouldn't last 5 minutes with S.A. reffing.

14. graywolfe81

graywolfe81 Member

Jul 2, 2002
    North Lake Tahoe, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suffice it to say, I think my nation will be doing a dead on impression of Serbia and Montenegro circa June '06, when they play Argentina next week. A colossal arse-stomping of epic proportions will be in the offing. I can't really see it any other way with this roster. I have no idea how we're even going to collect a point. A lot of the young guys do have promise, but the problem is they have no mentors on this team to help them along. Mapp, Nguyen, Benny, I love a midfield featuring the three of them, but they'd need Donovan or Dempsey to help them along, instead it's just them and some veteran scrubs for the most part. So while they're mistakes might be camouflaged with some veteran A-siders covering up for them, the mistakes these guys make will likely be feasted on at the Copa, I just hope it doesnt shake their confidence at all. Sometimes a horror bloodletting like this can do serious damage to a players confidence. The defense appears shakey at best, a few quality guys and a lot of basically B/C grade friendly fodder. Keller looked horrific the other day in goal, and you have to wonder why Reis isn't there instead, or one of the other MLS guys whose done a nice job over the years. I love Keller, and was a Keller booster in the Keller-Friedel debate, but he's done as even a backup for the USMNT at this point.

Early predictions:

Argentina 4 USA 0

Whose next? Colombia?

Colombia 3 USA 2

Paraguay 2 USA 0

That sounds about right. Total humiliation and guarantee of no seed till '18 or '22 at the earliest. I hope most of the people watching will have a sense to realize that this squad is basically, about 2-3 A guys, a bunch of Olympic team potential starters and reserves, and a bunch of C/D squaders. This is not an A or even a B side, it's C at best, and probably not that.

15. bobo81

bobo81 Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Ciudad De Dios
    I am positive yet negative at the sametime. I can see the benefits of this, as most of you already pointed out. Yet this shows us how serious the US is taking the Copa America - as a simple warm up session.

I wish the best of luck to our boys. Hopefully some new comers will shine.

16. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Why are they bringing a weakned squad? I understand they wanna test new players but it would have been much better if they brought in their full team, Now US fans just got a great excuse if they get blown out in the Copa America.

17. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    :eek: coming from a confed with disciplined refereeing this past month.:D

18. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    makes no sense but they're the only ones that care about that sauced-up Confed Cup.

o well....it would have been nice to see their Euro guys taking on the SA squads....

19. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It should have been the other way around.

Used a full squad at the Copa America and this squad at the Gold Cup, even with this squad they could have got out of their Gold Cup group with 9 points and then probably used a squad a lil stronger in the knockout stages and I'm sure they would have been fine.

Their Copa America group is miles tougher then their Gold Cup group, there is no compering Guatemala, El Salvador, and T&T to Argentina, Paraguay, and Colombia.

And if they struggled against some of those Concacaf teams with a full squad at home, I can only imagine how their gonna do away from home against tougher opposition with a weaker squad.

20. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    US is only goin to score on Colombia??? U realize colombia has the best defense in South America right??? last 12 yrs?? go look at stats, this team looks awful much like the Colombia team sent to Gold Cup 2005 when it was like a C team sent but that C team did get to the Semis and eliminated Mexico hahahaha so dont give up all hope guys, it looks bad but maybe u can get a win against paraguay

21. MountainHawk

MountainHawk New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Salem, MA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to be fun to watch these boards when the US goes up 3-0 on Argentina in the first half ala Portugal in WC 2002. ;-)

22. MountainHawk

MountainHawk New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Salem, MA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We shall see. I have no idea what to expect from this team we are sending, other than we will not be as good as Argentina. If the defense remains strong and we can get out of that first game at 0-1 or 1-2, it might give the young guys the confidence they need to get out of the group stages.

We shall find out in a week or so.

23. ManUsucks

ManUsucks New Member

May 14, 2007
    NJ
    jajajajajajaj, buena

24. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    look the US is the most dangerous team in here. Argentina has so much pressure to pown everyone, and are the best team in here. Then the other 3 are pretty equal but the fact that the US sent this team is the kicker cause they can either suprise like the US 1980s hockey team or get destroy'd by every team. Another thing it really doesnt matter this is not ur confed and ur givin alot of ur players good oppurtunites any way Colombia in the gold cup 2005 sent a youth team taht sucked but still eliminated Mexico :) haha maybe u guys will eliminate argentina, brasil or uruguay which are the big boys of this tournie.

any way this is the US roster thread if u guys want to talk sh1t lets have colo - paraguay thread.

I presonally want both colo and us to qualify tho it seems a bit tougher for US now they arent bringing most their stars but they have an advantage that no one knows wtf the players r or how they play. All u guys need are 4 points.

and paraguayans colombia just won 3-1 today against Ecuador. Thats 7 games unbeaten :)

25. graywolfe81

graywolfe81 Member

Jul 2, 2002
    North Lake Tahoe, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean "could have been". Basically the team we brought was a blend of some of our likely U-23 Olympic Qualifying members, veteran scrubs, and some guys that are slightly too old for the Olympic team who may or may not have a chance to do damage for the senior side in the future.

In the attack the only guys I view as worth paying attention to our:

Eddie Johnson-to find out why he's been less prolific than Connor Casey as a Nat for the most part over the last 18 months.

Eddie Gaven-To watch a study in how U-20 hyper prospects can become manure. What happened to this guy? 3 years ago he appeared on his way to stardom. Now he wishes he was a donkey.

Justin Mapp and Lee Nguyen-Probably the most skilled US players with the ball at their feet on the roster. Mapp is lazy at times, Nguyen is an unknown since being a domestic star in high school, playing a brief time w/the youth teams (i think in the '05 U-20 World Cup), and then moving on to PSV after a year in college.

Benny F-A find at the '05 Under-20 World Cup, he's now looking quite good for us.

C. Davies-A stud since he was in high school, a stud at Boston College, went on try outs around Europe, ended up in Sweden if I remember right, and has rolling snake eyes since.

By and large all of the rest of the forwards and midfielders are ultimately forgetable. On defense we've got a mix of youngsters who may make it, and scrubs who are filler till we find something definitively better from the Euro, MLS, or Youth team ranks.

The goalies? Guzan can be awful and spectacular. Keller seems done.

This team is a recipe for disaster, it's in desperate need of McBride and Wolff to mentor the forwards, and Donovan and Dempsey or Beasley or Convey to mentor the midfielders. Unfortunately none of them can go, and/or are retired, so it's youngsters playing with youngsters and or scrubs. It's probably gonna be very ugly. I'm excited to see what a few midfielders can do, and Davies and one or two guys in our back four.