US Men in Cleveland

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Brook, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bob Roberts of "The Plain Dealer" reports today that the USSF and the Cleveland Browns are in negotiations for a final warm up match to be played in Cleveland on Memorial Day weekend.

2. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    [​IMG]

When I took this pic last Memorial Day weekend in Chicago I had no idea Drew was on the phone to the Soccer House saying, "It's been fun guys but next year we're doing this in Cleveland...make it so."

3. J-Justice

J-Justice Member

May 2, 2004
    Osnabrück, Germany
    Club:
    VfL Osnabrück
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally the chance at a game in Cleveland, and I'm going to be in Europe. :confused:

That's the way my life goes.

4. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ties in nicely with Garber saying a midwest MLS expansion team will be announced soon while Cleveland and Milwaukee are the front runners and Peter Wilt has stated Milwaukee won't be going for 2007.

Let the speculation fly!

5. Weber King

Weber King Member

Sep 28, 2001
    North Andover, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that this will serve as a test run for a temporary facility for the expansion team in 2007 as the Cleveland Investors have said that they won't have definitive stadium plans until 2008...

6. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was hoping for Pittsburgh... but Cleveland is a little bit better of a drive than Columbus, at least.

7. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
    I'll be there.

I wonder if this means they're skipping Columbus on the run up to World Cup tour.

8. Fussballman 7

Fussballman 7 Member

Oct 29, 2000
    Dresden, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll definitely be there. As far as Columbus, I hope so but I doubt it as they may be looking at venues with a larger capacity. Ideally they'd do the Columbus to Cleveland trip up the interstate.

9. Stampede4Life

Stampede4Life New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Rochester
    I'll be there for sure.

10. dice50

dice50 New Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Norman, Oklahoma
    I just read in a news article that the US team would "probably" play an African team to get ready for Ghana in the world cup. I know that a game like this hasn't been scheduled already so maybe this will be the last game that is scheduled. US vs Nigeria in Cleveland?

11. goaliemanpat

goaliemanpat Member

May 14, 2005
    Holly, MI
    I hope they are planning something like this in Cleveland. I would love to get to a game before heading to Germany.

12. ru4mts

ru4mts New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Cleveland
    I have some insider knowledge because of the place I work at. The USMNT will be playing in Cleveland before Germany. I don't have the exact date or oponent, but according to the Sports Commisioner for the area, they will be playing a game.

I live in Downtown Cleveland, so I will be walking to the game. I'll see if I can arrange an oppurtunity for people to meet up before and after the game. It would be very cool to meet some people that are going to Germany as I will be there, as well.

13. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
    I've heard Ireland as a possible opponent.

14. Sagz

Sagz Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Cbus
    Pft Ill be missing it due to getting married. But thats good to see Cleveland getting a game.

15. Dynamo73

Dynamo73 New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Cleveland
    Old Angle in Ohio City is soccer-friendly, but not walking distance to stadium. Blind Pig might be good gathering place.

16. ClevelandFC

ClevelandFC Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Any gut feel as to the date? My worry is that if it's Memorial Day weekend (that was mentioned at some point) we'll have a big collision with the local youth tournaments. A scheduling nightmare.

17. terrywilson

terrywilson Member

May 3, 1999
    Atlanta Ga.
    Play it at night, make the tickets part any tournament entry fees and get the kids and parents to the game. Simple as that. Oh, and a warmup in the flats and warehouse district is mandatory..

18. ClevelandFC

ClevelandFC Member

Aug 10, 2004
    No, this is USSF, and worse, The City of Cleveland. Sunday afternoon, 1PM is probably a guarantee.

Mayors White, Campbell and now Jackson. How can it get any worse? They'll probably vote Kucinich in next.

19. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new rumour is that this will be a 4 side tournament with, possibly, Brasil, Germany, England, and the US.

20. Bigdog

Bigdog New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Gone Fishin'
    England & Germany will not cross the Atlantic in late May before the World Cup IMO. But if it happens I won't complain. Brazil would come I think, I think they are looking at multitude of options.

21. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    FWIW England have games on May 30 and June 3 already scheduled. Not sure where they would fit in a trip across the pond.

22. Nodak

Nodak New Member

Feb 28, 2005
    Seriously as much as this guy is trying to do for USSF(National Team) if he'd like a game in Cleveland, give it to him.:D

23. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'll be there

24. Dynamo73

Dynamo73 New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Cleveland
    ESPN article says Cleveland game may be May 26.

25. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last paragraph.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=361157&cc=5739

What sense does it make to play three games in a week right before the WC? Two in three days Arena doesn't know who he's taking by late May, that is an indicator of bad things. So how could the USMNT be playing all these games at that time?